lolusa

heart

will it have any graphics, like midiNES with graphic representation of the features and values?

ad-hell-aide

No.

shanghai

was wondering mr.scale. if one could buy a nomad or a genesis which would you recommend ? is either one better than the other sound wise ? thanks man

shanghai

nomad obviously scores more cool points : )

New York City

I guess it depends on the importance for you of portability.
The Nomad has a decent sound, better than a lot of the shitty VA6/VA7 motherboards, or at least a lot more bassy.
The Nomad does not have a discrete YM chip, so it's not the same as having the real YM chip in the machine.

The best motherboards to go for on regular Genesis/Megadrive are the first ones, VA1, Va2 and I think VA3. I can attest to the shittiness of the most popular, easily found VA6. I thought it was OK until I got a VA2.

Sydney AUS
akira^8GB wrote:

The best motherboards to go for on regular Genesis/Megadrive are the first ones, VA1, Va2 and I think VA3. I can attest to the shittiness of the most popular, easily found VA6. I thought it was OK until I got a VA2.

When you say 'the best', is this in terms of bass? Noise floor?

Fargo

Can't wait!

New York City
abortifacient wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

The other motherboards introduce much artifaction and distortion in the sound. It just doesn't sound right, there are sounds that are too low and you can't discern them, the bass is non-existent andsome sounds just don't sound properly.

Believe me I was of the thought that all these were exaggerations because they usually referred to the amplification circuit, but I hear many more problems than just that.

Oh edit to say: my shitty motherboard was VA7, that's the most common one.
For those interested, here's an in-depth description of Genesis/Megadrive motherbaords:
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread … m-bad-ones

By the way, does the interface work properly on PAL systems too? I wonder about frequency tables and speed-related problems (everything runs slower on PAL Megadrives)

Last edited by akira^8GB (Apr 10, 2012 11:20 am)

Sydney AUS
akira^8GB wrote:
abortifacient wrote:

The other motherboards introduce much artifaction and distortion in the sound. It just doesn't sound right, there are sounds that are too low and you can't discern them, the bass is non-existent andsome sounds just don't sound properly.

Believe me I was of the thought that all these were exaggerations because they usually referred to the amplification circuit, but I hear many more problems than just that.

Thanks for the info, I'll get my hands on a MD Model 1 and compare my tracks.

shanghai

thanks lazerbeat. i ll try hunt down the original motherboard megadrive i think. not too fussed about the portability. hows the best way to check ? on the motherboard itself, by year etc......im thinking i have to search pretty hard to find one in china and sellers probably aren't gonna be too helpful because they see these nostalgic purchases as just old crap. and they're chinese sellers which means they'll basically tell you whatever you want to hear so you buy it. like 'id like this t shirt'......'okay, what colour and size'.......'er black and small please'......'certainly sir we have many'. 3 days later postman delivers you a xxl white t shirt grrrrrrrrr its a popular scam here, because the price of sending it back for refund is probably equal to the fecking t shirt haha.

also not right place i know but if anyone has a megadrive they wish to sell please pm me and i can pay thou via paypal. Australians/japanese peops are good for me as its a little closer than everywhere else. peace

Rhode Island

Pretty sure if you snatch up a model 1 with the high definition graphics sticker you should be good with respect to board rev.

shanghai

cheers

California

So how does the Nomad fare sound wise? I was considering purchasing a Nomad for the interface.

also are there any mods required for this to work? is there a controller port on the nomad? how about a line out mod? thanks for any info.

EDIT: the sound of the Nomad is really good apparently. just not from the headphone jack due to a hum. answered my own question wanna fight about it?

Last edited by Rei Yano (Apr 11, 2012 6:59 pm)

Pro sounding the nomad isn't impossible, and the second controller jack is beneath the screen. It's fine for this sort of thing, but if you don't have a power adapter be prepared to buy lots and lots of batteries.

New York City

The NOmad doens't have a discrete YM chip so it will  still not sound as awesome as a first gen genesis/megadrive.