Douglas, Wyoming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GivkxpAV … zMwzX4UtHA

Uses some chip samples, or a lot of chip samples. Pretty catchy actually. What do you guys think, is chip music gonna make it's way into pop soon again?

Last edited by Monotron (Jan 28, 2013 5:48 am)

Gosford, Australia

yo, squarewave beeps and PWM leads aren't "chip samples"

do you mean make its way into popularity, or make its way into pop music?

in either sense: it already has. chip music isn't all that obscure, and many pop music artists use 'chip samples'. not to mention half of the chip music out there is essentially niche instrumental pop music.

Last edited by defPREMIUM (Jan 28, 2013 6:09 am)

Victory Road wrote:

? if you know what he meant in this context why is this important..

Sweeeeeeden

It's apparent that some sounds used in pop music today are inspired by chip music. They are not using real chip hardware. Deal with it.

nitro2k01 wrote:

It's apparent that some sounds used in pop music today are inspired by chip music. They are not using real chip hardware. Deal with it.

To build on this, it's easy to produce these sounds and it will sound "cool" to the main audience because it is not the dominating texture of the sound (too simple, too videogame-y, blah) and it thrives upon nostalgia. And like Br1ghtPr1mate once said, the studio guys can make amazing sounding stuff if they want to, but most of the time they take the easy way out when designing pop music instrumentation. Chippy sounds happen to be (some of) the easiest stuff to make.

Chicago IL, USA

yo this song/video is dope.

also chip-esque sounds are already popular. the only reason anyone here cares is they are mad people aren't throwing millions of dollars at them for it, so they go off about how the chipscene is ruined. It's pretty funny.

Gosford, Australia
defPREMIUM wrote:
Victory Road wrote:

because these kinds of sounds were used in a lot of popular music and culture before the most ubiquitous sound chips existed
thus i don't think that these sounds are at all indicative of chiptune influence
especially not in this song, which is produced as fuck in just about every other aspect

Last edited by Victory Road (Jan 28, 2013 7:15 am)

shanghai

who really gives a flying fuck. do we need one of these pointless threads every 3 months. im not gonna jizz in my pants just because one direction have a mario coin sound in one of their poo songs.

Sweeeeeeden
Victory Road wrote:
defPREMIUM wrote:

because these kinds of sounds were used in a lot of popular music and culture before the most ubiquitous sound chips existed
thus i don't think that these sounds are at all indicative of chiptune influence

Hmm? In the original era of analog synthesizers, (say '60s-'80s) people tried to emulate physical instruments and/or create unique sound textures. That has very little to do with deliberately making a clean square wave or similar with little in the way of effects in order to emulate a certain type of nostalgic sound, which is the modern trend that I'm referring to.

Bratislava, Slovakia

I think future of pop music is in ornaments (monophonic arp-style chords) and special advantages of hardware, for example hardware envelopes from AY-3-8910/12.

South Jersey, USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asy6Cpbtwfs

uses a lot of chip sounds. It's pretty catchy actually.

Andromeda's Black Hole

its japanese. nothing out of the ordinary here.

Praha, Czech republic
SJSFC wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asy6Cpbtwfs

uses a lot of chip sounds. It's pretty catchy actually.

New Albany Indiana

Ke$ha uses bit pop

nashville,tn

i think the more interesting question with this is the reverse-pop's influence on chip music. especially thinking back to the limitations of ugh..game soundtracks. regardless of the application-knowing that you had only a set amount of memory in which to compose/play a handful of themes that would loop endlessly, the composers choices carry a challenge similar to composing in say fugue style, which has a long list of rules/limitations. i wonder how much of that music was memorable because of its elegant construction and how much was just beat into my brain.