New Albany Indiana
H0bla wrote:

@ Bit Wish, I think im gonna go with demo version until I get the console and flash cart. Thank you anyways! smile

@ Alpine, got it. Thank you for the sound quality info.

@ thebitman, i might pm you when I have time to try out the demo and I run into probs..

@ nerdsome, Thank you for the info. I finally got answers i really wanted.

Does anyone have personal experience of recording with GBA SP? I got deal today from work. I could change my old Xbox that I don't need, for 2 GBA SP's.

I like your reply system

Finland
H0bla wrote:

Unfortunately that's really not the case in here.. Well I gues I have to do a little bit more research. The prices here are pretty much like this: DMG (normally) = 40-70€ and GBC (normally) = +10-40€. So modding the DMG isn't my first option.

Dont know your whereabouts, but it is not impossible to find a DMG for 10e, just not from huuto.net or anything, visit flea markets etc. I ordered cart from Kitch about a year ago and that arrived fast.

New Albany Indiana
thebitman wrote:

No, I am not telling him to do exactly what you are doing. Mother of god, you are like 15 and you just want to feel like you know something and you HURT this scene by spreading misinformation.

The demo ROM is free because it will not save songs to SRAM. It will not save a battery file, so it forces users to either fork out some money for a donation (minimum $0.01 according to the LSDJ site) or to use savestates and not be able to retain savedata on Gameboy hardware. The paid/donated version features saving to SRAM, and is capable of saving songs on hardware. If you read on the LSDJ site you would know that. If you read what people actually wrote you would be faring better in this scene.

Faring better?

New Albany Indiana

The only thing i dont like about sp's are the speakers, it makes it hard to study the sound, So if you do get one(s), get this: http://www.amazon.com/Gameboy-Game-Adva … B002JEUDX4

Okay dude don't waste your money on a $60 flash go here http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/usb-64m-smart-card
to get your flash, they'll even put LSDJ on there for you after you purchase the software from http://www.littlesounddj.com/lsd/
As for the gameboy. Get a GBC. Trust me you'll want to be able to plug headphones/speakers into your handheld device.

New Albany Indiana
pokapop wrote:

Trust me you'll want to be able to plug headphones/speakers into your handheld device.

+1

my mom's basement

Don't bother with LSDJ, do all your music with shitwave. Only shitwave. Or, if you wanna be really hardcore, don't even bother with a gameboy.  Buy a top of the line PC and ableton live, and take shitty midi's of pop songs from the 80's and run them through the magical8bit plugin.

UK, Leicester
Catf1sh wrote:

Don't bother with LSDJ, do all your music with shitwave. Only shitwave. Or, if you wanna be really hardcore, don't even bother with a gameboy.  Buy a top of the line PC and ableton live, and take shitty midi's of pop songs from the 80's and run them through the magical8bit plugin.

I hope you're joking

Tokyo, Japan

Clarified title as per "thread titles should be descriptive" rule.

Tacoma WA
Catf1sh wrote:

you had me at shitwave

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

People always hating on the SPs. As I say to everyone just starting out: the advantages of an SP is it's rechargeable battery, smaller body, backlight, and improved CPU. All of these are perfect for beginners. They don't have to worry about mods to see in the dark or batteries. Some people might not like the idea of having an improved CPU from the original DMG, but if you want music and less original nostalgia, get an SP. Biggest downside is the lack of headphone port. And, until recently, it was near impossible to get an adapter. But there is someone manufacturing top of the line ones and selling them on eBay now (I'll look it up soon). The sound quality is A LOT better than what people make it seem. I have DMGs, MGBs, and SPs and the SP is what I use on the go, for live performances, and serious recording. It's up to you of course, but I feel like I'm one of the unofficial voices for the SP. Apparently I'm an important known user of them, which is cool because I really like to see them used more.

Also, on a technical side for non beginners: the SP handles samples better and has less click noise from E and O commands (and some others I can't remember right now. Prolly M)

Tacoma WA
Bit wish wrote:
H0bla wrote:

@ Bit Wish, I get your point. Im gonna try to get LSDj soon so I can get started. But as I said before, it's not too easy to get those Flash Cards and stuff like that in here.. So I need to wait few weeks to get even started..

You should download bgb and i can pm you my lsdj log on code if you want.

wait.

you realize this would be piracy correct? 
helpfully meant or not its still not something the community condones.

Philly
Bit wish wrote:

I think its better to get the carts from nonfinite, and they come with 9 stickers :3

Last time I got a cart without a battery.

Seattle, WA
thebitman wrote:

No, I am not telling him to do exactly what you are doing. Mother of god, you are like 15 and you just want to feel like you know something and you HURT this scene by spreading misinformation.

Well this is the first time I've been embarrassed to be 15.

Tacoma WA
Dire Hit wrote:
thebitman wrote:

Well this is the first time I've been embarrassed to be 15.

Don't worry. You grow out of it.   Hell I make my wife embaresed all the time and I'm 35

Finland

@ Alpine & thebitman, thank you both for the useful info. I'm gonna check the comparison link out.

@ Bit wish, "I like your reply system" <- Sarcasm? smile I try ro be as clear with these posts as I can. And about the adapter, if I'm gonna get GBA SP it's pretty much "must have". Does the adapters always cost that much?

@ DKSTR, Löytyykö huuto.netistä oikeesti joskus muka 10e tollasia DMG:itä? Coloreita on aina välillä nähny tohon hintaan mut neki ollu lähes poikkeuksetta aika kämäses kunnos. Oot siis ite tilannu tollasen kortin sieltä Kitch:ltä?

@ Auxcide, Thank you! I can see the good things in SP but now that I've seen the link that had the adapter in it and the price of that piece of cord.. I think I might just go with the DMG or GBC. Originally i was asking about SP's for the info and I got the deal (Xbox -> 2pcs GBA SP's) so I was interested of having them. But if the adapter is hard to get (especially in here...) and it costs that much I have to think about other options or maybe just try to get another deal. Anyways, trying to be open minded. And info + opinions are always good!

Last edited by H0bla (Feb 7, 2013 11:51 pm)