So I have been making music on my lsdj for about a month or two and have learned to make some decent songs. But as an ambitious artist I want to start adding other components of sound and music to the songs I make which are not limited to the sounds my old gameboy can produce. I want to add an electro dance sound to my music so it has more layers and isn't so limited. Unfortunately I'm new to electronic music in general and didn't know if I should just go with some downloadable software (which seems to be common with chip tune artists) or if there was a way I could make my songs from scratch like I already do on the lsdj.

Last edited by pokapop (Feb 8, 2013 2:19 pm)

Seattle, WA

Listen to treyfrey and cry. It's what I do.

shanghai

buy the deadmaus electro house drumpack from beatport
torrent abletons
done
seiousness though - get ableton or a similar DAW

sidechain compression big_smile

use more goat samples

Axel-havoc wrote:

use more cowbell

BK

Maybe try Piggy Tracker- if you know LSDJ already it's not too hard and you can always sample your LSDJ stuff and import it as samples into Piggy.

Why sample LSDJ and import to piggy when you can just use LSDJ?  Personally, I don't like piggy.  I have it on a Dingoo and I never use it.  I don't like sampling.  I'd rather create an instrument and go from there.

BK
nerdsome wrote:

Why sample LSDJ and import to piggy when you can just use LSDJ?  Personally, I don't like piggy.  I have it on a Dingoo and I never use it.  I don't like sampling.  I'd rather create an instrument and go from there.

Well, because it provides the ability for OP to combine chip sounds and sample drums and other instruments, which is what they asked about.

IL, US

plus, piggy lets you add filters, have morre channels, add distortion

Just use 2 LSDJ...  I've heard good piggy tracks. I just don't prefer it.

IL, US

well, you asked why someone might, and we gave some good solid reasons, only one of which you addressed by saying to use two copies of lsdj

Chicago IL
pokapop wrote:

didn't know if I should just go with some downloadable software (which seems to be common with chip tune artists) or if there was a way I could make my songs from scratch like I already do on the lsdj.

what

e.s.c. wrote:

well, you asked why someone might, and we gave some good solid reasons, only one of which you addressed by saying to use two copies of lsdj

Well I'm not saying using piggy is dumb.  You made your points and I agree with them.  I've heard piggy tracks I like.  If OP wants to try piggy, then by all means, go ahead.  I just stated an opinion that apparently was wrong.

shanghai
nerdsome wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

Well I'm not saying using piggy is dumb.  You made your points and I agree with them.  I've heard piggy tracks I like.  If OP wants to try piggy, then by all means, go ahead.  I just stated an opinion that apparently was wrong.

well - technically you aked a question. 'why use piggy for this' - and they answered.
no one said your opinion is wrong.

Chicago IL

Also 2 copies of LSDJ won't add the positive points of piggy that were brought up: clean samples, filters, more channels, and distortion.