Sweeeeeeden

This is for those who don't follow my one Gameboy project per week thread, or the LSDj mailing list. In the development of my latest project, I discovered a way of making sample playback sound cleaner on all Gameboy models, but above all on GBAs. This method has now been implemented in LSDj too. Kit instruments are no longer completely useless on GBA! For this, you need a LSDj 4.7.0 which registered users can get from http://littlesounddj.com/lsd/latest/full_version/ as usual.

A few sound samples:

GBA, by egr:
http://chipmusic.org/egr/music/holy-ass-titties-nitro!!

GBA comparison, by blakepalmer. First, with fix. After without it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/67668923/nitro% … 20test.wav

808 kick on a DMG with and without with, by Johan Kotlinski. Also includes spectrum display.
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0ByHWr … sp=sharing

Murcia, Spain

Awesome! I'll have to think back about using kit instruments... How can we put this to work on GBA? I've checked but there's no 4.7.0 goomba version available yet.

Maybe this is a bit offtopic, but is this related to the fact that speech synthesis doesn't work at all on GBA? At least not on my GB micro.

Last edited by DogTag (Feb 11, 2013 2:13 pm)

New Albany Indiana

GBA's are terrible, im looking forward to using this.

New Albany Indiana

Will it sound better or the same for dmg?

Abandoned on Fire
DogTag wrote:

Awesome! I'll have to think back about using kit instruments... How can we put this to work on GBA? I've checked but there's no 4.7.0 goomba version available yet.

Maybe this is a bit offtopic, but is this related to the fact that speech synthesis doesn't work at all on GBA? At least not on my GB micro.

You only need a goomba version if youre using a gba flash cart.  Use a normal cart and you're good to go.

Murcia, Spain
egr wrote:
DogTag wrote:

You only need a goomba version if youre using a gba flash cart.  Use a normal cart and you're good to go.

I'm using a GBA flash cart in my micro... : (

Czech republic
Bit wish wrote:

It sounds better even on a DMG (and MGB and most probably on CGB too).

SMELLBOURNE BOSSTRALIA

Quck question here: what's the difference in sound on a GBA (original model) using a link cable adapter for audio rather than using a proper mod?

Sweeeeeeden
HANDGUN FANTASY wrote:

Quck question here: what's the difference in sound on a GBA (original model) using a link cable adapter for audio rather than using a proper mod?

You're off the mark completely. First off, that's not a link cable adapter, but a power adapter. Secondly, only GBA SP and NDS have this port.

SMELLBOURNE BOSSTRALIA

Fuck me, you're right. Well I'm an idiot. I meant the SP. (And I honestly could not remember if it was a power adapter or a link adaptor I haven't touched that thing in years)

(I can't believe how wrong I got that)

Last edited by HANDGUN FANTASY (Feb 11, 2013 3:51 pm)

New Albany Indiana
ashimoke wrote:
Bit wish wrote:

It sounds better even on a DMG (and MGB and most probably on CGB too).

I have never tried this before, but if i copy my sav and put the 7.0 on my cart will i still have my songs?

matt's mind

^ yes, as long as you keep the same sav file (don't mess with the button which says 'format', or any of the ones that say SRAM on them in the software)

its always better to back up your sav file (read SRAM) before you do anything.

then, just write the new LSDJ to the cart.  it will read the same sav file as 4.6.9

Nottingham, UK

Just patched up this and it's cool not having to subtly mask the Kit's as much as I used to. I love that this got implemented as fast as it did. I love this shit.

Los Angeles, CA

I've been putting off updating because I haven't felt like patching another LSDJ rom with all of my samples (all of the banks are full with custom kits). But I guess it's finally time.

Sweeeeeeden
Wizwars wrote:

I've been putting off updating because I haven't felt like patching another LSDJ rom with all of my samples (all of the banks are full with custom kits). But I guess it's finally time.

If you send me your ROM, I can do this easily.

Los Angeles, CA

PM Sent!