rochester, ny

this is a weird thread. tons of great chip music came out in 2012 and i've already heard a bunch of great music in 2013 (and i know about a bunch of upcoming releases that are going to be awesome too).

if you search for "chiptune" on soundcloud, are you going to like every song that comes up? no, of course not. but how is that unique to this scene? i'm sure there's a lot of songs made with other instruments that you dislike as well.

Los Angeles
n00bstar wrote:

Well, I come from the old Amiga scene so my list of classic probably greatly differs.

No, same classics. wink

ad-hell-aide

90% of most things suck.

With chipmusic, we are all part of the scene and examining the scene.

With other genres / styles / types of music and art that one might be less familiar with, all that you might see is the tip of the iceberg - the 10% that makes it through.

This distorts the perception of chipmusic in comparison to other things.

Chicago IL

y'all hear that new i'm heading for a bomb shelter track

ad-hell-aide

What?

Chicago IL

i'm just saying if you want to hear some quality chiptune

https://soundcloud.com/imheadingforabom … dcore-demo

Nottingham, UK
Saskrotch wrote:

Post Brick-core. From the minds that brought you starone.

babylon
Saskrotch wrote:

sarcaskrotch strikes again!

babylon

but yeah, i concur that i cant listen to most chip. but ive just done the same as most people and figured out which artist and labels i trust and make do. i doesnt ruin my day or anything.

Playboy Man-Baby

Lately I've felt like the only way we can keep chipmusic out of the "MYF1STLSD1XJ WIP" abyss is to keep pushing how we use the technology in conjunction with traditional music.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Feb 26, 2013 12:10 am)

Gosford, Australia
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

Lately I've felt like the only way we can keep chipmusic out of the "MYF1STLSD1XJ WIP" abyss is to keep pushing how we use the technology in conjunction with traditional music.

y'know i was thinking this (at least in regards to my own music) for like the last 3 or 4 months before i went to square sounds
but then i went to square sounds :v
it's not that there wasn't a lot of awesome fusion of tech and tradition there (pselodux, hunz, omodaka etc.), it's just that the stuff which was purely chip was engaging enough to stand out alongside everything else.

i think there are also a lot of people who are thinking the same as you but with the roles of technology and tradition reversed. it kinda depends on which side of tradition/tech you start from.

more chip n vocal stuff would be nice though!

Last edited by Victory Road (Feb 26, 2013 12:51 am)

lolusa

fuck chipmusic i listen to goodmusic

ohio gozaimasu

Hey guys I've found the solution

hardcore, Australia
Cooshinator wrote:

Hey guys I've found the solution

I scrolled past here and thought it was a 'put the screamo in a seperate file" joke. Then I was disappointed.

shanghai

well there's not much of a difference in the chip side to any other sort of electronic music, in regards to quality
Thing is nowadays, its pretty easy with an internet to read a bit of shit, download some sort of DAW or buy a gameboy, makes some shitty songs real quick, upload them that week, release your first album the following month. So of course this readiness of utilities to make music with is going to mean alot mor rushed, amateur-ish music of low standard is gonna be uploaded.
But for me, its pretty easy to spot the difference between someone who is releasing music because they are truely into making music, and have spent time making it and people that like the 'idea' of being a musician and have there logo's and facbook pages,soundclouds, bandcamps all up and running before theyve really made anything even remotely worth sharing.
But you know alot(most) is free to stream, download, it pretty easy for me to check something out and no inaq few seconds if its gonna be utter shit or not. i mean this in the sense of if its some random notes in lsdj with crappy drums and its all mixed like arse - then i stop and pretty much blacklist their name in my mind. thats why i always stress to people to not be so eager and chuck every wip and crap sketch of a song on the internet - because it gives the impression that you dont take it seriously and im not gonna listen to it seriously. Its deifferent when there are established people throwing up a few wip's and demos because i know even a wip of one of those cats has had 50 times more time invested in it than some dude thats made a record in one week. its all about quality control for me.
A  bit more on topic - its like all music - there are labels / people i can count on to release stuff tht isnt shit. Pause, Inpuj, 8bitpeople, Ubiktune, Kittenrock - iknow anything i get from those places is worthy of a listen. its not gonna be amateurish crap and its gonna have had some time invested in its creation, so im gonna invest time in listening to it. Not saying everything they put out is my cup of tea and i love it - but its not total wank that's wasting my time nad bandwidth either.
So in direct answer - yes alot of chipmusic is of low quality and really shit. but it is with most genres. from metal to drum n bass to witch house. Once you get better at spotting the songs that reak of 'ive had a gameboy for 18hrs' and ignoring them - the world becomes a better place haha

shanghai

keyboard has too many stuck buttons. I can't be arsed to fix the typo's. but im not really as dumb as that reads. - honest