Westfield, NJ

What you are describing is the typical perception of people INSIDE the scene, but it does not line up with how the general public perceives chipmusic. The truth is, outside of forums like cm.o, most people just know the hits: Bit Shifter, Sabrepulse, Bright Primate, stuff like that. Stuff that has been featured in a big way because it's very well done. Most people don't know about this forum... cm.o is just a scene thing. Most people go to 8bp or Pause or Ubiktune, download a few really good releases and say "yeah this is cool."

so I'm going to give the same advice I always give: don't assume your perception of chipmusic lines up with how most people perceive it.

England

most of the best stuff isnt even released as mp3s.

get exploring fuckers.

Holland
Jellica wrote:

get exploring fuckers.

This.

Holland
Decktonic wrote:

What you are describing is the typical perception of people INSIDE the scene, but it does not line up with how the general public perceives chipmusic. The truth is, outside of forums like cm.o, most people just know the hits: Bit Shifter, Sabrepulse, Bright Primate, stuff like that. Stuff that has been featured in a big way because it's very well done. Most people don't know about this forum... cm.o is just a scene thing. Most people go to 8bp or Pause or Ubiktune, download a few really good releases and say "yeah this is cool."

so I'm going to give the same advice I always give: don't assume your perception of chipmusic lines up with how most people perceive it.

Subjective any way. Music that is featured in a big way doesn't have to be well done per se, it just has to have certain aspects that will speak up for a big group of people. Nofi against Bit shifter, sabrepulse and Bright of course!

IL, US
Jellica wrote:

get exploring fuckers.

except, of course, the entire kittenrock catalog

Matthew Joseph Payne
Victory Road wrote:

also chip & flute though so i guess that's a thing!

edit because there's a better promo video for Flight of the Bleeper Bird now

Last edited by kineticturtle (Mar 1, 2013 2:07 pm)

Gosford, Australia
kineticturtle wrote:
Victory Road wrote:

also chip & flute though so i guess that's a thing!

yeah like that! i told her about this work a while back and i think she might have PMed you some questions about stuff one time maybe

ad-hell-aide

Origami cat was the standout act from that night.

New Albany Indiana

This looks like one of my threads.

ad-hell-aide

ok

washington
little-scale wrote:

ok

buffalo, NY

glad I missed this one

Brazil

I still don't understand: are we talking about the quality of the sound of mp3s or are we talking about the quality of the compostions? The first is because people don't know about mixing, the second is totally subjective. I found some releases pretty awful but got lots of praise, so, yeah, wtf?

The quality of a composition, sadly, is not subjective. There are ways of telling when a composition took effort and/or skill into being made, and when it doesn't. Even if it 's not your cup of tea, even if you hate it, if you can recognize a piece of artwork as something that the artist worked hard on getting right, then you've stumbled upon a work of good quality.

However, even if you like something, if you can tell it was pretty much thrown together whimsically and without much thought, could you say it's quality material? Wouldn't you be more prone to call it a "guilty pleasure" of sorts?

Nottingham, UK
El Huesudo II wrote:

The quality of a composition, sadly, is not subjective. There are ways of telling when a composition took effort and/or skill into being made, and when it doesn't. Even if it 's not your cup of tea, even if you hate it, if you can recognize a piece of artwork as something that the artist worked hard on getting right, then you've stumbled upon a work of good quality.

However, even if you like something, if you can tell it was pretty much thrown together whimsically and without much thought, could you say it's quality material? Wouldn't you be more prone to call it a "guilty pleasure" of sorts?

The ability to tell the difference between something you don't like and something that's bad is surprisingly rare. The opposite is equally true.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Feb 27, 2013 10:06 pm)

Brazil
El Huesudo II wrote:

Well, as much as I agree with you, I still think it's pretty subjective. Your point is strong, but I still regard this question totally subjective. But anyway...

I was lazy enough to not really read the first post of this thread, and, actually, sorry about even posting in here. I'm surprised this is still open, just because it's a total flaming trap.