西安

Hey all,

Y'all seem to be pretty good with recommendations so I figured I'd see what people had to throw out there for this one. I was totally floored by little-scale's "I Am Still Breathing" and would love for some pointers towards chipmusic that is of a similar aesthetic. I love the way little-scale used noise to sound like soothing rain in some of the tracks, and more generally the 'feel' of tracks like "Flowers", etc.

I am also wondering if some of the ambient sounds little-scale was able to make are characteristic of the instrument/s used (I think it was a Sega Nomad?) or if they can be replicated via a simple LSDJ on DMG setup - many of the LSDJ tracks I hear have a much 'harder' aesthetic (Which I'm guessing is just due to the difference between the DMG's sound and the Nomad's YM2612 chip).

TL;DR things like "I Am Still Breathing" plz...also, can DMGs has yummy ambientz?

Westfield, NJ

I think nanoloop with its FM synthesis is nice for making ambient tracks.

西安
Decktonic wrote:

...nice and expensive. hmm maybe I'll pick up a cart for my GBASP someday.

Westfield, NJ
viciousitaly wrote:
Decktonic wrote:

if you have an iOS or Android device, you should try Nanoloop from the app store... it's great.

New Albany Indiana
Decktonic wrote:
viciousitaly wrote:

if you have an iOS or Android device, you should try Nanoloop from the app store... it's great.

Im kinda interested in this my self.

西安
Decktonic wrote:

I own it, but haven't used it much - just a few dinky little things. Should spend more time with it.

4mat - The Wonderful is similar to that.
http://4mat.bandcamp.com/track/the-wonderful

I think he uses Amiga mostly.

In regards to doing ambient with GB, it sounds like a lot of the unique sound would happen in the mastering with EQs and Reverb/Delay. Without mastering and track effects, most of the "softness" would have to be done in the wavetable. Try to stay away from notched waveforms. Someone with more GB skill will have to elaborate further.

Murcia, Spain

I'm also interested in what viciousitaly is asking. Either if it's just a GB thing or with added post-effects as well.

ohio gozaimasu
NationalBroadcastNetwork wrote:

4mat

Yes yes yes! This and this are also pretty chill tracks.

Also, this fucking release and this one too

I'm interested as well.
Been trying to understand how to approach a more ambient-ish LSDJ sound. Has someone achieved something like this without external effects?

lolusa

the only hardware (or software) you should look into getting is a delay unit.

西安

Holy crap, 4mat is amazing. This is exactly what I aspire to. Thanks dudes.

California

To do some pure Gameboy ambient music you could try stuff like layering arpeggios over each other to get a nice pad. Only thing is that it'd probably take up all 3 channels and leave no room for anything else. Still, you could probably make some nice tracks just taking the pad and slowly changing and evolving it.

Chicago IL

reverb / delay / low pass

Gosford, Australia

I was thinking about how I'd do properly smooth ambient music in LSDJ without any post-processing a while ago, I think I decided that I couldn't really do it but this thread makes me want to try again.

You could always make some sorta "chipgaze" stuff like WMD or Falling for a Square do and then leave out the percussion and lowpass it, hehe
Making music even half as good as 4mat's is also a good idea! smile

Milwaukee, WI

knifecity did it well in LSDJ.

http://chipmusic.org/likeluke/music/dec-21st-417-am