rochester, ny

3 acoustic guitars, no effects.
1 drum set, with hot rod sticks, no effects.

BUT

an electric bass guitar, no effects.

is that okay? or does that disqualify me?

hhhhnnnnnngggggggggg

TOO MANY QUESTIONS

use an acoustic bass NO ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTS if i read right

Indeed, no electronic instruments.  And if you are going to use a real drum set, please try to keep it minimal.  This is not meant to be a rock and roll. tongue

Also, I made an EXPLICIT point to say people can have as many layers as they want because not everybody has 4 buddies with which they can sing in harmony.  Please read the OP.

Last edited by Beware (Mar 29, 2010 6:32 am)

Edinburgh

I'm in. I call 'Dance 1' by peeR.

At first this sounded fun but the restraints are too big for me.
What about the recording medium, are you allowed to record on to digital medium or is it reel-to-reel/tape only?
If using DAW is allowed, what about EQ and dynamic processing? Outboard analogue only?
And no rock n roll!?

ad-hell-aide

I am seriously thinking about doing this... now... which of my favourite chiptunes would sound good on a cello??

The recording medium would obviously be electric, I'm not going to force anyone to use real tape, that'd just be obscene.  And as far as EQing goes, keep it as light as possible.  Effects (beyond EQ and volume) are absolutely not allowed.

ad-hell-aide

Tape is electric. We could send you wax cylinders ;P

So, I can multitrack stuff?

Yes you absolutely can.  If you'd like to send wax cylinders then go for it! XD

Yes, multitracking IS allowed.

Ontario, Canada
Comptroller wrote:

I'm in. I call 'Dance 1' by peeR.

whoa, bold move. I look forward to the result.

Planet Zaxxon
Beware wrote:

And if you are going to use a real drum set, please try to keep it minimal.  This is not meant to be a rock and roll. tongue

then im out.

Cambridge, MA

Yeah, I thought this meant no electronic style instruments. Ehhh... Good luck to the rest of you. wink

rochester, ny

what would you guys use for bass instead of an electric bass? we don't own one of those acoustic bass guitars.

A piano?  A cello?  Vibraphones?  A regular guitar?

I should clarify the drum comment: All I was saying is you don't want to be the only "heavy" track on a comp where there are mostly softer styles.  I hate to cut any tracks, but I will not hesitate to do so if they do not fit the release.

uhajdafdfdfa
nickmaynard wrote:

what would you guys use for bass instead of an electric bass? we don't own one of those acoustic bass guitars.

An electric bass which isn't plugged in? smile

Winter Haven, FL

I'm in. I think that I may opt to do a slightly different arrangement of the song that I intend to cover so that I can get a chance to use my brushes or HOT RODS. Otherwise, it certainly WOULD be rocking.

As far as the bass is concerned... if you do not own an acoustic bass... but you DO own an acoustic guitar... play the guitar like you would play the bass (with fingers) : picks will make the "fakebass" produce the same brightness that the acoustic has naturally. And after minor EQing you should have a suitable acoustic bass.