Before you keep reading, here's a warning:  There are NO chip sounds allowed in this comp!

Anyways...

For this comp, I want people to take some of their favorite chipmusic (user created or VGM) and create their OWN acoustic arrangements.  Nothing that already has an "official" acoustic version out there.

You can use any number of instruments as long as they are acoustic instruments (guitar, piano, violin, xylophone, etc).  You can also have as many layers as you want for harmonies and such.  Just keep in mind:  The entire point of this is to take a song and arrange it to create something organic.  It should sound natural and be possible to be performed live.

NO ELECTRONIC EFFECTS!!  BUT, if you want to go to an abandoned warehouse (or gymnasium) and record for some nice reverb or echo, that is allowed.  This is all about the creativity of the arrangement.

No deadline (yet).  I will set one once I see how much interest there is.

Good Luck!

Received tracks so far from:

JArthurKeenes

Last edited by Beware (Mar 25, 2010 8:15 pm)

Finland

This might sound stupid but are own tunes allowed, say we would like to do a acoustic version of Videovalvontaa song?

"For this comp, I want people to take some of their favorite chipmusic (user created or VGM) and create their OWN acoustic arrangements.  Nothing that already has an "official" acoustic version out there."

Last edited by Beware (Mar 25, 2010 8:15 pm)

Finland

Yeah, I understand that but is it unallowed or just considered as a megadouche-move to do a cover of a song you wrote yourself?

Anyways, I'm in as just myself or as Videovalvontaa (when Kef reads this haha)

Personally I couldn't care either way if you wanted to cover your own song (I wasn't aware you were part of Videovalvontaa as I've not heard of that).  To be honest, it seems more than a little silly to cover your own song though.  Kinda defeats the general purpose of the comp (creativity of arrangement and what not).  If you cover your own song, you already have a lot of preconceived notions about how that would go down.  There's such a HUGE world of chipmusic out there, why would you stay in your comfort zone like that?

))<>((

does it have to be a straight cover, or can it be more of a remix type thing?

It sort of HAS to be a remix. tongue  You can do whatever you want with the track as long as it's a track that's already been written (preferably by someone else) and it's entirely acoustic.

))<>((

well, I meant like, try to recreate the song, or use the melody and create a somewhat new piece?

Anything is fine as long as it IS someone else's song and as long as it doesn't suck. tongue

))<>((

haha alright. ;D

I'll make sure it doesn't suck.

Brooklyn NY US

There's no such thing as "covering" your own song. It's your song, you're performing it. If the notion of covering someone else's track is an intrinsic part of this comp's concept, that's totally cool. But I just wanted to butt in to say I don't think performing your own song in a new way is necessarily staying in a comfort zone. Reinterpreting your own material can be as creatively interesting & challenging & rewarding as reinterpreting something else's. There's a song called "This World Is Not My Home" that appears a few times (either in full or in little fragments) in different styles on an album by His Name Is Alive, and which also later pops up on a 7" by an obscure offshoot side project, in a totally different style. I always thought there was something cool about that, an interesting and unexpected continuity between the projects & albums.

Anyway I'm all off-topic and shit. Cool comp either way, eager to hear the results.

FERNDALE, MI, USA
Bit Shifter wrote:

His Name Is Alive

off topic: michigan represent, also Warren Defever kicks ass!

While I agree, Bit Shifter, the problem with doing this with your own track is you already have all sorts of preconceived notions as to what it would sound like (at least, a lot of people do).  I'm not saying not to do it, just saying the preconceived notions of what it should sound like kinda puts a damper on the basic premise of this comp.  I have nothing against performing your own song, I just want people to step way outside the box for this.

Planet Zaxxon

I'm so in, since I was going to do this as a spring project.. and cover my favorite tracks, with all real instruments... werd !

Finland

Yeah, I gave this a second thought and if I participate, I will do someone elses song. If I get a proper mic to record stuff I will do this.

But yeah, I love that sort of stuff that Bit Shifter mentioned. But anyway, sorry about bit off topic.

Milan, Italy

I call a Norah Jones style cover of 'Reformat The Planet' by Bit Shifter.

edit:
i've found a Guitarists, a vocalist and a percussionist who will perform my arrangement.
i cannot find anyone playing acoustic piano.. and even if i could find someone he would play his part on a shitty electronic keyboad. hmm
..so.. are "acoustic" VSTi accepted?

Last edited by arottenbit (Mar 26, 2010 11:09 am)