Andromeda's Black Hole

I haven't written music in a while due to college work and poor discipline but I've started to play again and wanted to upload a few songs. my EMS came with a little CD and I followed the instructions on download the "test mode" software that allows the computer to override whatever stops it from reading the program. I've done this procedure twice and it still doesn't work. not only that I now have this on the bottom right corner of my screen:

Test Mode
Windows 7
Build 7601

What am I doing wrong, guys? also, what does that text mean?

matt's mind

that bit in the corner of your screen is telling you you've got it into test mode

Gosford, Australia

you did install the EMS drivers, didn't you? the test mode text means you should be ready to roll provided you installed the drivers and the gb_usb software

that text goes away after restarting when you run dseo13b.exe and select the "disable test mode" option (but that stops the EMS cart from being recognised)

Melbourne, Australia

EMS sucks on windows 7.
If you can, get a hold of windows xp, it works like a charm on old stuff.

New Albany Indiana

so this annoying little thing is due to the ems disk?

Last edited by Bit wish (Mar 25, 2013 12:52 am)

New Albany Indiana
Calavera wrote:

EMS sucks on windows 7.
If you can, get a hold of windows xp, it works like a charm on old stuff.

haha, i have my old desk top running in my basement.

New Albany Indiana
Victory Road wrote:

you did install the EMS drivers, didn't you? the test mode text means you should be ready to roll provided you installed the drivers and the gb_usb software

that text goes away after restarting when you run dseo13b.exe and select the "disable test mode" option (but that stops the EMS cart from being recognised)

It hasn't gone away and still hasn't recognized the driver.

Melbourne, Australia

Here's how to get rid of the words as a last resort:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/21 … sktop.html

matt's mind
Bit wish wrote:

so this annoying little thing is due to the ems disk?

that's because the OS is in test mode.  this displays in the corner as long as its still in test mode.

when you take it out of test mode, it goes away.

this 'test mode' of which i speak is an entirely different aspect from the EMS stuff altogether.

in short, microsoft made a security change in win7 which made running third-party, unsigned drivers somewhat tedious.  because microsoft requires the drivers to be registered with them for them to have this 'signed' status, developers and people who simply don't want to go through microsoft find workarounds.

the simplest thing to do is just forget the whole DSEO software part entirely.  hold f8 at start-up, this will put the computer into test mode.  and it will say this in the corner as long as its in test mode.

i'm assuming putting it back into normal mode involves holding f8 again, but if not the DSEO software will do this for you too

THEN comes the EMS part.  you'll still need to use the DSEO software to 'sign' them. 

hope that helps a little

Gosford, Australia
kitsch wrote:

hold f8 at start-up, this will put the computer into test mode.  and it will say this in the corner as long as its in test mode.

i can never ever get this to work for some reason haha
i've just left my os in test mode non stop anyway

babylon

if you cant seem to remove test mode try placing this in the command prompt (make sure to run as admin)

bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF

should take you out after a reboot.

Andromeda's Black Hole

alright, thanks, guys. So what I do now is put in the CD, run the program, and connect the EMS cart, right?

Andromeda's Black Hole

nope. still not working.

matt's mind

you've got to install the drivers too,

there is an instructional document either on the minidisc, or in your download.  i think you're missing the instructions maybe, because they're step-by-step essentially

if you went straight to running the program, you left out the whole 'installation' part (i.e., a .sys and .inf file are missing on your comp)

Andromeda's Black Hole

alright. now i see what i was doing wrong. it did keep saying that there was no program to run the driver. I'll try it later tonight. Thanks, Kitsch. helpful as always.

Cologne

Same here.
Before i reinstalled Windows 7 Ult 64bit everything worked fine, but now i can't install the drivers anymore and I tried almost everything e.g The .sys and .inf on the CD, downloaded from the website, installed in actual Test mode (f8 at startup), I've fully disabled the UAC. When I try to install the .inf it says that the Installation Method is not supported by the inf-file.

Thank