Manchester, UK
roboctopus wrote:

I got a job as a technical writer (I write marketing material, proposals, press releases, the occasional instructional document, website text, etc.)

Didn't think I'd see another technical writer here! It's a pretty obscure job all in all. We're in very similar positions, too. I used to write a lot for fun, but writing all day at work kind of douses the flame, so I started using music to FULFILL MY MANLY NEEDS instead. Actually, sounds like your work is slightly more interesting than mine. I just write instructional stuff, which gets pretty dry after a while.

Anyway, tech writer five! *smack*

Detroit, Michigan

I work full time as a purchasing manager for a car part warehouse. I really want to go back to school and get my Bachelors in Business but I work too much

Sweden

I work with a defense contractor developing contact triggers for humane landmines.

boomlinde wrote:

humane landmines.

Is there such a thing?  The idea does interest me, as I have been in areas littered with mines decades after they were placed.  Can you give any details that might explain how these would be humane?

Madison, Alabama
Boddrick wrote:

Didn't think I'd see another technical writer here! It's a pretty obscure job all in all. We're in very similar positions, too. I used to write a lot for fun, but writing all day at work kind of douses the flame, so I started using music to FULFILL MY MANLY NEEDS instead. Actually, sounds like your work is slightly more interesting than mine. I just write instructional stuff, which gets pretty dry after a while.

Anyway, tech writer five! *smack*

Tech writers unite!

But yeah, writing boring stuff all day definitely douses the flames of writing desire.  I get my creative kicks from music nowadays.  It's cool--nobody invites short story writers to rock out in clubs, haha.

MA

I just graduated high school this year so I'm currently in the looks for a job. The only possible choices I have are to work at a super market, a restaurant, or a frozen  yogurt place that is opening up soon. I really want to work at the frozen yogurt place because I know someone that works at the super market so I'd get nothing done, I can't work at McDonalds because my brother works there, and I have trouble talking to people so I would have a lot of trouble trying to take someones order if I worked at a restaurant. But hey, I can try any of those places because money is money♥

SLC, UT

Apple Store.

lolusa
PlainFlavored wrote:

I left school to make a first-person shooter. I write Python and C for 12-16 hours a day, and have been doing so for the last year + two months.

my.skills = float(plainflavored.skills * 0.25)
detroit

I work at a local micro brewery.

Toronto, Canada

I shoot birds at the airport.

Sweden
rygD wrote:
boomlinde wrote:

humane landmines.

Is there such a thing?  The idea does interest me, as I have been in areas littered with mines decades after they were placed.  Can you give any details that might explain how these would be humane?

You can disarm or detonate them over encrypted packet radio based on a group ID. Also, we make damn sure they'll kill you instantly if you step on them.

Nah, I'm just kidding, I don't make land mines.

Philadelphia

Majored in Animation and I'm just finishing that up now. I've been teaching animation for the past couple of years.

Puerto Rico

Studied film. At the moment working for an HR company, saving up to move and keep studying film. (Specifically, documentary film)

Last edited by PanicPlant (Aug 13, 2013 6:04 pm)

Placerville, CA

I work at an electronics company called CIC in Placerville, CA.

aw yeuish

Bronx, NY

Jobs I've worked from first to current:
babysitter
handyman
theater tech
contracting assistant
tutor
key frame artist
storyboard artist
script writer/editor
registrar
special projects coordinator
medical information This spam will soon be deleted
clerical supervisor

(note: that last 4 professions took/take place in the same place: a level 1 trauma center in NYC that was once rated the worst hospital in the country by consumer reports).

training:
graduated highschool with honors in visual and literary arts
animation and cartooning undergrad at SVA (incomplete)
animation and storyboard training at Screen Arts Animation Studio (incomplete)
internship/hands on training at Schatmandu productions
Illustration at the Art Students League of New York
hands on training at a certain level 1 trauma center in new york city.

addendum: also blog for chiptunes=WIN and will soon be blogging for videogamedj and possibly for alphaomega radio as well.  hoping to turn writing into a more prominent part of my professional life.  public healthcare is a bitch.

Last edited by Kuma (Aug 16, 2013 10:53 pm)

I work full time as a web developer, and I've previously worked as a software developer. However I do have a degree in music composition, though the way the world is now this degree is pretty useless when it comes to jobs - it is getting harder to find decent paying jobs as HR people love to throw out unqualified candidates, even though I have nearly 5 years experience.

I make a decent living, but after 8 hours a day in front of the computer screen, plus socializing with my girlfriend, it leaves very little time left for music. Right now I'm also doing work on the side to help pay off some credit card debt, so really there's no time for music left at all. It sucks - music is my passion but I'm forced into something I don't really care about that much just to pay the bills. It could be worse, it isn't manual labour, but it's still a drag.

I think a big part of it depends where you live as well, Vancouver is a very cool city, but it's a place where you have to work your ass off to have any sort of decent standard of living as housing and car insurance is so expensive. This means the buzzy areas for music and art are in more affordable cities, in Canada I've heard Regina talked about a lot as "the new music capital" for it's arts programs and cheap rehearsal space, and in the US I've heard a few things happening in Detroit where you can live incredibly cheaply there. How appealing those places are in general is another matter entirely though.

Last edited by metropeak (Aug 16, 2013 11:18 pm)