katsumbhong wrote:

The SGB is a tad bit faster because of the timing crystal... but you're only switching over the SGB CPU and not the SGB timing crystal.

Hmm, would switching over the crystal aswell, make the gameboy detune?

Glitch Militia wrote:
katsumbhong wrote:

The SGB is a tad bit faster because of the timing crystal... but you're only switching over the SGB CPU and not the SGB timing crystal.

Hmm, would switching over the crystal aswell, make the gameboy detune?

Yep. It would all sound detuned.
It would work, if you use a crystal twice as fast.
Then everything would be one octave higher.

A SGB crystal would make it just slightly faster without much benefit, and you'd have to patch the whole lsdj rom to get it all in tune.
Lots of work for not a lot of extra speed.

CPU revisions do affect the sound quite a bit, I noticed that the Super Gameboy CPU handles the L command differently from the DMG CPU. Certain DMG's of mine will stutter and skip on tables in the noise channel. Some of them handle samples better than others. With a bit of investigation I bet I could figure out why. Recently I have been writing on a Gameboy Pocket since it behaves consistently and when cranked through a EQ-ing mixer I can make bass sound pretty close to the DMG's.

Use what works and sounds good to you. Most people won't notice or care. I am fine with anything as long as it sounds good in my setup and won't interrupt my workflow when I hop between consoles.