México, DF.

Vikernes just wants to preserve his pagan roots in a non-religious way, the Satan figures on his music are just nordic mythos disguised.
But hey, seriously, tremolo-arps (use the tables for this) and blast beats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNL9ypFdAzI

Last edited by eme7h (Apr 18, 2013 7:06 am)

shanghai

i always liked Dr.Zilog. he's not LSDJ but he made some really good fake bit metalcoreblastbeatsblackforestgateaux songs.

http://drzilog.bandcamp.com/track/death … rs-captain

how are the vocals on vileplume achieved? is that like equalization or effects or recording or what?

South Korea

Originally, no effects were used on black metal vocals, just shitty recording equipment. Another big factor is what style of vocals you CAN do. Listen to Chthonic, Immortal, Abruptum and Burzum to hear a fairly wide range of vocal styles. Vileplume is just lucky that he can produce those sounds. Other than cheap equipment and vocal practice, I think a little bit of EQ and SUBTLE distortion might help. Stay away from vocal effects as it might end up sounding a bit cheesy. Just my opinions though.

shanghai

them vocals on Vileplume sound very processed to me ? Sounds like they recorded them and put them through a bit reduction plugin / bitcrusher.  Originally some of the early black metal artists would use headphones as a mic when recording to make it super ghetto evil.

Downstate wrote:

Originally some of the early black metal artists would use headphones as a mic

I do stuff like that.  I don't own a proper microphone, so I improvise when I need one.

I never thought there was an artistic reason for me doing it, but I do love some of the old "lo-fi" blues recordings, as well as a lot of other stuff with related qualities...interesting.

South Korea

I am by no means an expert on recording and effects, so Downstate is probably correct and Vileplume's vocals are heavily processed.
I just know that if I had to record vocals I would very likely just use headphones or a harmonica mic (seems stupid but sounds great) and record to cassette first, no EQ, no effects, but that's just me. I also love the "lo-fi" stuff and don't really care too much for creating certain effects after the music has been recorded.

I considered picking up a cheap harmonica microphone once.  I am in no way any good with a harmonica, but I liked how it looked, it was cheap, and I figured it beat using a speaker and would work for all the stuff I would have needed it for.

Most of what I do falls into less dancey post-industrial and related shit, and when I mess with vocals I am not looking for clean traditional singing, and will sometimes run it through effects and such.  Usually when I am messing with a microphone I am not using it for vocals.  I almost never record stuff, but I do sometimes use cassettes, like I did when I was a kid.  My goal has never been to create sounds that were nice and crisp (yet I have done a few prosound mods).  The instruments I play I do not play well, so it all likely sounds worse than it did when I was a kid, but that is fine, as it is not for consumption by others.

shanghai

as a general rule i think black metal just sounds better when its ghetto as fuck.

take the newest Mayhem record for example. "Ordo ad chao" is excellent in my opinion. Because for me black metal is more about the ambience and atmosphere, than the brutality. Most of that stuff of old, darkthrone, burzum, etc has a kind of etheral vibe to me. Like the drums dont need to be super punchy, the vocals can be more or less inaudible in places, the guitar tremelo blurs almost into a wall of sound.  I mean 'Grand declaration of war' for me is a horrible record. Its clean and brittle and it has no atmosphere in comparison to old Mayhem albums.

One of the greatest things ive ever heard in the last few years is this record, a one man project by the name of Murmurre.
http://murmuure.bandcamp.com/

I can't recommend this highly enough. If you wanna be sold on one track listen to Amethyst - beautiful and unsettling in equal measure.

South Korea

I couldn't agree more, black metal should sound "ghetto as fuck". I much prefer the grimy, gritty, unpolished sound of early Darkthrone or 1349, and would like to get a similar sound for my music, I guess I'll just have to experiment until I get it right, maybe record all the channels from the GB one by one, into a tape deck and then layer vocals on top.
That Murmuure album is the shit, I love the one man approach, very eerie and interestingly layered, especially enjoyed Reincarnate.

Downstate wrote:

One of the greatest things ive ever heard in the last few years is this record, a one man project by the name of Murmurre.
http://murmuure.bandcamp.com/

Really good album.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Puerto Rico
validpointdaniel wrote:

how are the vocals on vileplume achieved? is that like equalization or effects or recording or what?

I remember him saying on the release thread that they were resampled. That's about right, I can get a similar effect by changing the sample rate on my vocal tracks back and forth between a bunch of different rates.

West Yorks, UK

off topic, but im not a member of any metal forums and im guessing many of the peeps here are also into death metal; can anyone reccomend some good brutal death metal? i like Decapitated but thats about as far as my knowledge goes (aside from gothenberg sound) I favour the super staccatto chug breakdowns if thats any help, and not so much a fan of the super slow styles (obituary? mortuary? i forget, those guys on roadrunner back in the day)

soz for diversion!

Last edited by Domu (Apr 19, 2013 1:20 pm)

The Hollow Earth
Domu wrote:

off topic, but im not a member of any metal forums and im guessing many of the peeps here are also into death metal; can anyone reccomend some good brutal death metal? i like Decapitated but thats about as far as my knowledge goes (aside from gothenberg sound) I favour the super staccatto chug breakdowns if thats any help, and not so much a fan of the super slow styles (obituary? mortuary? i forget, those guys on roadrunner back in the day)

soz for diversion!

Nile!

Madriz, Supain

In case this is useful for somebody (I highly doubt it, I use very simple tricks) , I took some pics of my instruments from 301307 for Deer president.

The song : http://superbustysamuraimonkey.bandcamp … ack/301307

Spoiler for webcam pictures overload.

› Show Spoiler

Dogtag, Im looking at you. Peep this channels for our collab shit.

Riverside, CA
Domu wrote:

soz for diversion!

http://thesilphscope.bandcamp.com/track … ie-meatbag
/shameless