South Korea

Is it possible to do black metal, you know, blast beats and the devil, in LSDj? Been trying to put something blackish together for a few weeks now, but it just doesn't sound dark or heavy enough.
I don't care for the symphonic sound too much, more like Leviathan, Gorgoroth, Mayhem or even traditional vibes like Bathory or Hellhammer or whatever.
If it is possible to do this type of noise on a Gameboy, is there anyone on these forums willing to give me some pointers, maybe some save files that I can dissect or whatever?

Taichung, Taiwan

RainbowDragonEyes?

South Korea

No offense to Mr DragonEyes, but his tunes seem to be a bit of a parody, poppy hooks and very catchy/happy melodies are exactly the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid.

hardcore, Australia

The whole thing becomes a lot easier when you throw a guitar over top.

vancouver, canada

the closest example i can think of hails from teh cannon danimal:

http://danimalcannon.bandcamp.com/track/the-big-crunch

but i also know jack-all about the whole taxonomy of black metal so it might be totally not what you're thinking of. but some of the elements that i would think are at the very least necessary are:

- heavy distorted bass (facilitated by the wave channel)
- plenty of staccato and prematurely-killed notes everywhere so that the rapid-fire notes and blast beats stand out and don't blur into each other
- giving your drum instruments' transients plenty of high end for more bite

assuming you already have the chord progression chops to write a song that honoursthe style harmonically, i think it's definitely possible if you're thoughtful enough in your sound design.

South Korea

The drum track on that Danimal Cannon tune is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.
Is it done with sampled kits or is it all noise snares/hihats and pulse kicks (I can't really tell)?

NC in the US of America

Might help to eq externally. And/or forget about trying to make black gametalboy sound like real black metal and accept it for what it is, or don't and allow the torture of your futile  effort to fuel your music and sound design until you get.

Also, tune your gameboy to drop Db. And use all three melodic channels for rhythm chords and save lead for special occasions. Chipstep growl,-wubs (the ones that go eeyah and yowph and yuh) might help.

South Korea

I would tune as low as B#, but the machine head on my GB exploded the last time I tried, I'll keep in mind what you guys suggested and try to not kill my ears in the process.

vancouver, canada
DeerPresident wrote:

The drum track on that Danimal Cannon tune is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.
Is it done with sampled kits or is it all noise snares/hihats and pulse kicks (I can't really tell)?

i couldn't say for sure but i do believe danimal heavily favours WAV kicks.  it sounds like in that particular song he programs them to start at a higher note than what most people do, in order to give it an audible squeak.  also, i believe there are some parts in the song where the bass tonality is implied through the harmony, but not actually played, allowing more room for percussive stuff.

if you buy that album you'll get access to the SAVs in the download, so you can find out for yourself.

Riverside, CA

Yeah, my buddy and I make black metal & brutal death metal using LSDJ (sometimes Korg's M01 instead) and his vocals.
I use sample kits for drums, and the pulses for errthing else. Noise is for dummies.
We don't have much recorded right now, but we have a couple EPs planned once he gets out of jail later this year.

vancouver, canada
The Silph Scope wrote:

once he gets out of jail

excuses

just uploaded a song, where you might be able to find some elements you like, not really black metal though ...

http://chipmusic.org/unini/music/burning-fields

no samples used, all done with the lsdj synths

Madriz, Supain

We've done a lot of blastbeats and low deep riffs in the past, its kinda difficult to add "power" to the sound so we mix it with upbeat shit and whatnot, but is obviously doable.

If you only write the bassline in wav, put some drums in PU and NOI , add guitars and get a decent vocalist, youre good to go

EDIT

Not black, but obviously metal-ish
http://superbustysamuraimonkey.bandcamp … ack/301307

Last edited by SuperBustySamuraiMonkey (Apr 17, 2013 12:29 pm)

shanghai

that danimal cannon track is a beast

South Korea

Actually, SuperBustySamuraiMonkey, I would say you are one of my main influences in doing this, I listen to your musics way more than I should. You are probably the closest thing to black metal (sound wise), that I've found so far. I don't own a guitar, and that's a VERY good thing 'cause I am horrible at guitar. I think my vocals will be okay, though, as I can go gravelly and King Diamond-esque falsetto.
Do you think there is any chance that you can send me a sav of any of your songs? (I promise I won't misuse it in any way, I just want to learn)

Madriz, Supain

Let me check if I have one of the older songs, because I write in Smartboys and last time I tried to backup my .sav data got corrupted so I havend done it in like a year. I can trasncribe my tables and instruments in text to you, anyways, that wouldnt be a problem.

We had tnbm in the past, but we just dont play them anymore