New York City
4mat wrote:

[PUTS THREAD BACK ON RAILS.GIF]

(why do I keep starting new pages? ;p)

Last edited by akira^8GB (Apr 24, 2013 11:34 pm)

Madison, Alabama

I've recently been really intrigued by Amiga music.

I can't tell if this thread is interesting or intimidating.

I think I'll do emulators for awhile. 

One thing that's daunting: there are a bajillion versions of Protracker (Version 2.1a, version 3.X, etc.). Is there a preferred version? And is there a good tutorial for that version? (assuming there are big differences between versions...)  That is to say, if I want to learn on emulator, with the option to buy hardware down the road, what is the best route to take?

Montreal, Canada

IIRC 2.3 is the last of the classic ProTracker. And 3.15 is the most stable of the later versions. Be sure to check out StarTrekker too.

Milwaukee, WI

I believe half of the protracker screen will be cut off because of the PAL/NTSC difference as well. There are ways around this (I think?) but it's something to keep in mind when using hardware.

hardcore, Australia
roboctopus wrote:

One thing that's daunting: there are a bajillion versions of Protracker (Version 2.1a, version 3.X, etc.). Is there a preferred version? And is there a good tutorial for that version? (assuming there are big differences between versions...)  That is to say, if I want to learn on emulator, with the option to buy hardware down the road, what is the best route to take?

You can even just skip over emulating the OS and just use a tracker that will let you work within MOD limits. You can do this in milky tracker, but the controls/layout are based on fast tracker instead.

Think of it like a piano. You can basically do the same thing and its more practical to play around on a digital electric modern things and most people won't care about the difference, but there's a certain feeling about sitting down at that piano/Amiga that sits in the corner and bash out a track.

hardcore, Australia
godinpants wrote:
roboctopus wrote:

You can even just skip over emulating the OS and just use a tracker that will let you work within MOD limits. You can do this in milky tracker, but the controls/layout are based on fast tracker instead.

Think of it like a piano. You can basically do the same thing and its more practical to play around on a digital electric modern things and most people won't care about the difference, but there's a certain feeling about sitting down at that piano/Amiga that sits in the corner and bash out a track.

I think of my Amiga as more of an instrument than my laptop.

Milwaukee, WI
godinpants wrote:

but there's a certain feeling about sitting down at that piano/Amiga that sits in the corner and bash out a track.

roboctopus wrote:

Protracker 2.3d is the best of the "true" protracker line. (before they ruined it)

Personally I think the best tutorial is grab the st-01 sample disk and get on with it, worked for a generation of mod composers back then.  We all started there.  If you can put up with it, try and run it off floppies in an emulator, you'll at least get a feel of what it was like to work with originally.  (though 2.3d works happily with a virtual harddrive)

Montreal, Canada
TSC wrote:

I believe half of the protracker screen will be cut off because of the PAL/NTSC difference as well. There are ways around this (I think?) but it's something to keep in mind when using hardware.

On a 1200 you choose pal/ntsc from the boot menu. Hold down the mouse buttons on startup and once in the boot menu, any key should switch between the two modes. On an ECS machine, there's a simple mod with lifting a pin off...errr.. some chip with a girl's name (sorry.. it's been years) and grounding it. I had mine connected to a switch so I could decide between NTSC/PAL at will.

Oh and yeah.. Just download the software and ST-01 and hack at it. It's really not hard to figure out, especially if you have any previous tracker experience.

Last edited by n00bstar (Apr 25, 2013 4:58 am)

Holland
roboctopus wrote:

I use 1.3b. It works for me and haven't found a reason to upgrade.

England
roboctopus wrote:

Amiga music isn't scary, its only the users :P

There are just a ton of options and versions of the Amiga. You'll be fine with one of the standard models although I'd recommend the A1200 with a hard drive.

Last edited by Jellica (Apr 25, 2013 7:04 am)

Playboy Man-Baby
e.s.c. wrote:
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

Approximate relevant answer to thread question.

nope, commodore 64/128 is very very different than amiga (just made by the same company).. what you did is the equivalent to saying you use lsdj on an emulator when someone asks who uses the NES

I'm not talking about accuracy. I'm familiar with the c64's distinctions from the amiga. I was saying that I was responding in terms of alternative, within the vague ballpark "approximation" of 'early computers being used for chipmusic'. Sorry; I'm overly literal about stuff sometimes. It was a bit more like responding to, "who makes chipmusic on home consoles like the NES" with "I use lsdj and *not* the NES".

On a different note, why was I unaware of Abortifacient's non-lsdj stuff? *dives into google*

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Apr 25, 2013 9:35 am)

Madison, Alabama
4mat wrote:
roboctopus wrote:

Protracker 2.3d is the best of the "true" protracker line. (before they ruined it)

Personally I think the best tutorial is grab the st-01 sample disk and get on with it, worked for a generation of mod composers back then.  We all started there.  If you can put up with it, try and run it off floppies in an emulator, you'll at least get a feel of what it was like to work with originally.  (though 2.3d works happily with a virtual harddrive)

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of simple advice I needed. I found the ST-01 sample disk and Protracker 2.3d and I'm ready to experiment!

Milwaukee, WI

Any vendors still reliably selling Amiga's?  Amigakit hasn't had their 1200's in a while (while pricy, at least it was available).

Psydney, Australia

Yes, some people use amigas

Also, WTF is a 'new' tracker?

Montreal, Canada

Whoever owns that room. I need the address and a shotgun.