Hello all, I'm new to the chip music scene. The FAQ and sticky threads have been helpful resources so far, but I'm trying to find some music of a more specific type and was hoping I could get some input from people familiar with the scene. Do you have any recommendations for lighter, cheerful chiptunes? Nothing too heavy or mentally taxing. The sort that would make nice, relaxing background music for cooking or a bike ride on a windy spring day. Any artists, albums, or song recs would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your time and help!

Nashville, Tennessee

this is one of my favorites: http://ubiktune.com/releases/ubi023-var … quilibrium

Orange County,CA /Las Vegas NV

http://thecuddletelevisionexperimentalp … dcamp.com/ I have like yoga kinda chip house going on, might bore ya but give a listen and free download. wink

NC in the US of America

Happy and relaxing? Hmmm... I was going to suggest Chibitech's "Moe Moe Kyunstep Part I", but that's peppy happy. Really peppy.

Do you have any examples of the style you're talking about?

Here's a list of artists that I cook and ride to (mileage may vary as to how happy, unheavy, and not mentally taxing they are):

Fearofdark
PROTODOME
Feryl (Makes me think of sports for some reason. Really good for a ride, imo)
Twistboy
Nullsleep - "Salvation For a Broken Heart"
Radix - "Rainy Summer Days" and "Yoghurt Factory"
SpellingPhailer - "Bit By Bit"
Syphus - "Afterstorm"
Troupe Gammage - "Carrie"
Wizwars - Gameboy Rock
Xyce - 4chpcm love and "je suis baguette"

Wow, I didn't realize how few songs I have in my chiptune library that I'd call happy, light, and mentally relieved.

Edit: I have a song on here called "Brittle" that could fit that description. It's a bit upbeat, though.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Apr 23, 2013 3:05 am)

Tokyo, Japan

Basically ANYTHING by Xyce, they are fabulous.

SLC, UT

Bit shifter?

.FILTHadelphia

99% of chip artists?

vancouver, canada

off the top of my head, anything by malmen and joule (where is that guy anyhow??), both of those guys make some of the most saccharine gay chip pop that has ever gayed.  (hey don't look at me, that's actually what they call it!)  real awesome melodic stuff with no hint of distorted bass.

who else... Alex Mauer's Penny Arcade: The Series music might be exactly what you're looking for.  He actually scored the episodes specifically, so it's actually DESIGNED to be heard as background music.   I really like how overall Alex strikes an incidental and serene quality, it's sparsely but thoughtfully composed, similar in vein to the earlier Japanese famicom composers.

Last edited by bryface (Apr 23, 2013 4:20 am)

Pittsburgh

Nothing more peaceful and happy than sabrepulse and knife city! ./joke

In seriousness, I listen to "Four Color Hero" by Protodrome all the time when I'm in need of some fun tunes big_smile
Also, "Sunlight" by Nikola Wallon is fun, too.

Last edited by Another Castle (Apr 23, 2013 4:24 am)

Eric's chiptune - fly. Even tho it's fakebit, check out the calmdownkidder release!

SLC, UT

The other front page thread about black metal chipmusic should be all you need.

shanghai

shitbird

shanghai

I'll let you in on a little secret
THIS is the BEST of all HAPPY songs EVER !

BEEK !!!

https://soundcloud.com/b-e-e-k/blue-slide

seriously. you could ride a bike to this til the end of time

Holland
Lazerbeat wrote:

Basically ANYTHING by Xyce, they are fabulous.

heart

Okay here goes:

4-mat, algar, archon, brandon walsh, cerror, dalezy, dubmood, edzes, estrayk, ghidorah, joule, ko0x, loonie, maktone, malmen, mexs, moh, mystra, radix, rez, pasta, pink, tempest, tao, wiklund, xerxes and zalza.

Last edited by xylo (Apr 23, 2013 9:33 am)

Holland
SketchMan3 wrote:

Xyce - 4chpcm love and "je suis baguette"

If I'd order our albums by happiness I guess mosaik is above 4chpcm. :-)

Holland
bryface wrote:

off the top of my head, anything by malmen and joule (where is that guy anyhow??)

joule's still on IRC and fiddling around some piano and chiptune-ish things. Just not that much releases.