Finland

Hello people.

First- if this is not the right place for this question then I'm sorry for being a nuisance.

So uhm. Yeah... I recently installed a few backlights for my DMGs and there are a few things that I've thought about.

One of them I bought is actually inverted (this is SOLELY my own fault, I didn't read carefully enough), even though I didn't mean for that to happen. Is it viable to change the polarizing film manually on the backlight? That shouldn't damage the LED panel in any way right?

I feel it should be pretty simple but I wanna ask around before I commit to anything that could potentially bust the panel.

Jyväskylä, Finland

If the polarizing film is just a detachable sheet, then you can just flip it 90 degrees. If not, then I suggest to do biversion mod.

CHIPcinnati Ohio

just move the flim sideways. if its a yellowish greenish color on the lcd before you turn it on its normal. if you want it inverted it will be a dark blueish color before you turn it on.  if you have a backlight with the flim built in, you'll have to rewire the panel to be sideways. all pretty simple.

Finland

@Pale: Well. The film is built in sort of, or at least it came with it attached... No doubt by some adhesive layer. But I sort of thought that one could tear that film off and then just have a loose sheet on top of that instead? Flipped whichever direction. What does a biversion mod do?

@spOOked: The panel is not shaped like a square though.

Jyväskylä, Finland

Biversion inverts screen again, giving higher contrast.

Finland

Right. Looks like I'm gonna need to order in some new stuff at some point either way if I want to rectify this. *bites knuckle*

Thanks guys! smile

my.Explosion wrote:

@Pale: Well. The film is built in sort of, or at least it came with it attached... No doubt by some adhesive layer. But I sort of thought that one could tear that film off and then just have a loose sheet on top of that instead? Flipped whichever direction.

You can do that, and if it's one of ours, you can even use the stock film, but that might get a bit messy.

Or you can use this piece, which fits as either inverted or normal polarization. http://asmretro.com/diy-gear/polarizati … irectional

Finland

Oh.
Well then I might give that a shot the next time I crack open my DMG. Yeah I could try using the film that already sits there, but the way it's shaped I'm a little skeptical at this point whether it will sufficiently cover the whole panel... If not I will have a 2x2 inch polarizing sheet soon enough and could try that.

Thanks! big_smile

my.Explosion wrote:

If not I will have a 2x2 inch polarizing sheet soon enough and could try that.

Thanks! big_smile

You'll want to cut it if you mean a square piece, and not the die cut piece I linked to. 2x2" is too big, the LCD won't sit flush.

matt's mind

the square pieces are rotatable, the 2inch pieces from nonelectronics would work perfect for this (guessing this is your source by your calling them this)

Finland
kitsch wrote:

the square pieces are rotatable, the 2inch pieces from nonelectronics would work perfect for this (guessing this is your source by your calling them this)

Well. The backlight is actually yours, Kitsch. ^^;

But the polarizing film will be a left-over from a LED panel that I'm planning on putting on the shelf as soon as my new backlight arrives and that film is from one of nonfinite's kits.

matt's mind

ah, cool.  yeah the material is essentially (functionally) the same thing, in the long run you could mix and match parts like this and end up with a really great backlight and no one would be the wiser except if they took it apart or were just overly critical.   

the diffusion and polarization film can be cut by scissors if you need to clean up the edges at all.  or a straight razor works well. 

the adhesive strips, if you really want to add these back to hold the film in place, can be replicated by cutting a piece of the thin-type double-sided tape into strips.

Finland

OK. Good to know. smile

Thank you so much for everything (including the backlight, it's really nice big_smile)!

Maybe I'm just nitpicking here, but mixing parts actually isn't the best idea. Nonfinite's backlights sit above the LCD's plastic housing, while all other backlights sit below it. So if you use the polarized film from his kit with a thinner backlight, the LCD won't be sitting flush. I'm talking a fraction of a mm here, so maybe it doesn't matter. But I'd still cut a little notch in the corner or cut one side entirely to make it fit better.

Finland
Apeshit wrote:

Maybe I'm just nitpicking here, but mixing parts actually isn't the best idea. Nonfinite's backlights sit above the LCD's plastic housing, while all other backlights sit below it. So if you use the polarized film from his kit with a thinner backlight, the LCD won't be sitting flush. I'm talking a fraction of a mm here, so maybe it doesn't matter. But I'd still cut a little notch in the corner or cut one side entirely to make it fit better.

Well the kit from Kitsch-Bent sits above the plastic housing as well. If we're talking about the same thing, that is.

Anyway, I won't know for sure until maybe next week when my stuff arrives and I can test this thing out. smile

my.Explosion wrote:

Well the kit from Kitsch-Bent sits above the plastic housing as well. If we're talking about the same thing, that is.

Anyway, I won't know for sure until maybe next week when my stuff arrives and I can test this thing out. smile

No, that's not what I mean. Kitsch's backlights are the same thickness as ours.

I mean the total height of the backlight is lower than the surrounding housing.