Venezuela

Hey guys!, im doing a workshop of chipmusic. And im planning to do it with a specific soft. But since i will be OVER MAC, i have no idea what soft is cool for tracking there (i know milky can) But i will probably use a GB EMULATOR + LSDJ or emule WIN and run a pc tracker.

If you guys can recomend me anything better?, will be glad!, plxtor

Last edited by Lazerbeat (May 3, 2013 10:41 pm)

matt's mind

deflemask

?

Montreal, Canada

Well if you're gonna approach tracking "in general" then Milky is a very good choice. Interface is clean and simple, and it pretty much respects the "standards" of the genre. From that point, people can easily cross over into more esoteric trackers with what they learn from Milky. It seems to me that most people who start with standard trackers have less difficulty branching out into more specific ones later on, rather than the other way around. But that might just be an impression.. dunno.

Finland

I think a PC tracker would be a better choice. Emulators (the emulator + LSDJ idea) do not run as consistently as a real Game Boy and are easily affected by other stuff that's going on with the CPU resulting in music fluctuation, ever so slight, but clearly noticeable.

I realize of course that maybe this isn't a real issue because of how it is...

Last edited by my.Explosion (May 3, 2013 8:53 am)

Abandoned on Fire

LGPT!

NC in the US of America

I had a bit of a difficult time transitioning from LSDJ to Famitracker. But what I learned from Famitracker made HIvelyTracker easier to tackle, and once I got used to that, MilkyTracker made a lot more sense.

So I say you should probably start with MilkyTracker. LSDJ/LGPT are too logical and intuitive in design and effect implementation, and they could spoil a newcomer.

Well, that's how I feel anyway.

Unsubscribe

renoise.

UK, Leicester

start with a PC tracker, I use famitracker, and it made using any other similar software a hell of alot easier. I was put of by LSDJ at first, not having a flashcart, and running it on emulators was a pain, so I started using fami, never regretted it. Because I started of with it, when I started using milky and nitrotracker, they were easier to use, and so was LSDJ when I got my flashcart, a lot of the skills are transferable to some degree, and you can use each of them a lot easier.

Last edited by Alpine (May 3, 2013 5:14 pm)

New Albany Indiana

I first learned in renoise but lsdj is allot different.

Geneva, NY
egr wrote:

LGPT!

Tokyo, Japan

I'd go Milky,works on everything, self contained, easy to branch off into other trackers, free full version, plays lots and lots of classic mods.

babylon

this is for a workshop? i put my vote behind fami. i think lgpt and lsdj are kind of pseudo-tracker in design. milky was a good idea too though. but if we were just picking our favorite tracker than i pick sunvox.

.FILTHadelphia
herr_prof wrote:

renoise.

I'd go Milkytracker, it's portable, fairly coherent to use and if people don't want to do pure chip they can just load a bunch of samples in.  lgpt is the least friendly tool to start anybody off with ever.

Abandoned on Fire
4mat wrote:

I'd go Milkytracker, it's portable, fairly coherent to use and if people don't want to do pure chip they can just load a bunch of samples in.  lgpt is the least friendly tool to start anybody off with ever.

Ok, I'll bite.  smile  Is it because of the joypad interface?  Other than the fact that the "reflexes" you build using a joypad to track won't translate to really anything except LSDJ, piggy is the most clearly laid out and approachable tracker I've found.

Chicago IL

Stuff for mac (since a lot of people seem to be ignoring that part) I haven't seen mentioned

Schism Tracker
SunVox
Klystrack
GoatTracker