UK, Leicester
herr_prof wrote:

I think people appreciate good intentions, but just do your own thing and if the work is sincere and heartfelt you will eventually gain some traction and be pushing your own movement.

Nicest way of putting what I, and a lot of other people are thinking.

SketchMan3 wrote:

I'm really confused by the reception here. I know that dubstep is oft looked down upon here, and so is the description of "chiptune is remixed video game music". So are you guys defending chipstep as being more legitimate and original than simply  remixed vgmstep? Are you saying Super Mario is too good for dubstep? The definition posted is clearly a description of chipstep, not chiptune, as evidenced by the last sentence, just in case that wasn't clear. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what it is...

I think the reason that the OP is getting a load of shit is that he hasn't written a particularly accurate description of what chipstep is. That and dubstep gets hate on every part of the internet, for various, sometimes understandable (but a lot of times not) reasons. People are also getting mad at him for making a page that they thought was a chiptune share-y place, but is actually dedicated to a sub genre.

SketchMan3 wrote:

In any case, OP, what everybody is trying to tell you is that Chip* music has transcended it's video game roots, and mentioning "video game" and "remix" in the paragraph as "chiptune" is not smiled upon. Chiptune has a very rich, original, and creative history, and I encourage to visit the stickied "chipmusic faq" thread to see what it's really all about.

this

http://danimalcannon.com/post/493122835 … an-artform

Just going to leave this here... painfully relevant, the timing of all of this...

Spokane WA/ Simi Valley CA

-Takes a big breath-

Damn shouldn't have gone to sleep after writing this.

So apparently all ive done is make it painfully obvious that Ive only been exposed to the genre officially for a week. Rather than getting mad at anybody, im keeping focused on the goal here because I've honestly love the music ive been exposed to guys, and if there is better stuff out there, then get me on board with it. If there is a better definition I should use rather than the place holder I put on the page until I found something better, then why not point me to it? And if I can improve the page, then damnit lets get to work.

And there are a couple chip tune pages yes. One chiptune page that facebook generated from searches, that people dont update, and two chip tune/step pages that havent been updated since 2011. I got into the music and instantly wanted to create a community based off the awesome sounds that I was exposed to. If there is a better way to represent the community then give me some suggestions.

*edit*

And the pokeball avatar dances - thats why i picked it big_smile

Last edited by TalkPolite (May 3, 2013 6:05 pm)

Basic info changed:

Chiptuneis defined as music written in sound formats where all the sounds are synthesized in realtime by a computer or video game console sound chip, instead of using sample-based synthesis.

That more agreeable?

Unsubscribe

Keep at it. enthusiasm is awesome and its exciting to meet new people who just got into it. Dont let a misstep wreck that enthusiasm either. Also internet.

vancouver, canada

your honesty and transparency is appreciated, i think it's great that you're discovering this whole new frontier of music.   that said, yes, do acquaint yourself more with the amazing variety of chipmusic that's out there.   

- www.chiptuneswin.com has collections of music that provide a pretty good cross-section of the current chip scene at large.
- www.8bitpeoples.com has darker and more dance-oriented stuff, and is widely considered by many to be THE chiptune netlabel, due to its history and its stellar lineup of artists.
- www.ubiktune.org gives you a glimpse at the "bleeding edge" of chipmusic in my opinion.
- tons more that i could list, but that's a good place to start.  just follow the various link trails.

one suggestion, though: try not to position yourself as a some kind of chief purveyor of chipmusic, but instead, simply as an enthusiast.  the chip scene in general is 1) really sensitive to the risk of being misrepresented, and 2) doesn't appreciate being exploited cheaply for things like Facebook Likes. 

By the same token, we totally dig it when enthusiasts take the effort to dig deeper into its culture and history.  So let it sink in a little longer and expose yourself to more of it, then you'll better understand the responses in this thread.

Last edited by bryface (May 3, 2013 6:40 pm)

And thats why I drive on my friend. I just que up another track (dissecting a "best of" thread that I found here) and keep working at it.

Alright so apart from changing the description to something more favorable, I also changed the name of the page. Sorry it was chipstep, that was the first thing I was exposed to, and after digging deeper into the genre and from the community response, I think changing it to "Chiptunes" will be more agreeable. New link!

https://www.facebook.com/Chiptunespage

Now I need some tunes to link up. Those pages will help immensely. Thanks!

Last edited by TalkPolite (May 3, 2013 6:41 pm)

Don't forget www.noisechannel.org, they are about to get busy with their annual Summer Bazaar as well as the LSDJ Showdown.

Now that sounds like an event worth covering

TalkPolite wrote:

Now that sounds like an event worth covering

They cover it themselves and have a writeup, but feel free to link to it and write about the entries you like in it! Lots of technical work goes into some of the songs, some of it might be dubstep, or thrash, or something ethereal. Check it out when the top ten tracks are released later!

^--- More or less what I meant. I dont cast or anything like that, and appreciate those who take the time to do so.

Montreal, Canada

This could've gone much wrongier (yes it's a word now) than it did. I think your honest reply saved your ass there. I think you'll notice that a lot of people here feel pretty defensive about chipmusic smile

So to explain the reaction... It's just that such posts, either here on this forum or in any other chip community, are fairly common. "Hi I've just head a guy make a song with some sounds that I once heard in a videogame and since I didn't know that existed before, I assume nobody else does and I want to change the world and fill stadiums with this and open a label and print tshirts and get a tattoo and then do coke, buckets and buckets of coke."

Usually people are introduced to chipmusic by way of the more "mainstream" (gawd.. I'm already making it sound like this is some avant-garde elitist shit.. haha) remixes and dubsteppy/dancy material on teh tubes of you. Just bear in mind that by now chipmusic, as defined by the esthetics and technology, is about 30ish years old now and there is still a lot for you to discover, which is good smile Pages like the one you created are always welcomed as it makes the community grow, but we've all seen many of them pop in and out of existence in a few months because the creator's temporary affection for chipmusic was just a highschool crush that didn't last. So forgive people if they don't seem too excited about the page, nobody means to be an asshole to you really...it's just the way she goes.

If I may, I would suggest that instead of creating another low-traffic, short-lifespan hub of "surface" material, if you're really into the music then try and pitch in with the existing communities instead. Ask questions, lurk around, listen to the classics and explore, figure out what you like best and maybe even try your hand at it. Once you find what floats your boat, you'll be much better equipped to make a web page that people will be interested in visiting. Most people here are bombarded by all things chipmusic every day in their facebook news feed, reddit, forums, email etc etc. Another "be all end all super general page about everything and the world" is probably not going to gain much traction.

That said. Welcome to CMO.. since nobody said it yet.

Also.. your description of chipmusic IS STILL WRONG. wink

Last edited by n00bstar (May 3, 2013 8:10 pm)

n00bstar wrote:

This could've gone much wrongier (yes it's a word now) than it did. I think your honest reply saved your ass there. I think you'll notice that a lot of people here feel pretty defensive about chipmusic smile

I literally said "No shit" out loud when i read that tongue

Usually people are introduced to chipmusic by way of the more "mainstream" (gawd.. I'm already making it sound like this is some avant-garde elitist shit.. haha) remixes and dubsteppy/dancy material on teh tubes of you. Just bear in mind that by now chipmusic, as defined by the esthetics and technology, is about 30ish years old now and there is still a lot for you to discover, which is good smile Pages like the one you created are always welcomed as it makes the community grow, but we've all seen many of them pop in and out of existence in a few months because the creator's temporary affection for chipmusic was just a highschool crush that didn't last. So forgive people if they don't seem too excited about the page, nobody means to be an asshole to you really...it's just the way she goes.

My adventure with chiptunes started at newgrounds where a genre doesnt really exist, and quickly moved to sound cloud and then here. Digging into the depths of about five different sites as we speak, ive been at it for a couple of hours now. Ive been having a lot of fun doing so, and its brought back waves of nostalgia. I dont think this addiction is going away anytime soon!

If I may, I would suggest that instead of creating another low-traffic, short-lifespan hub of "surface" material, if you're really into the music then try and pitch in with the existing communities instead. Ask questions, lurk around, listen to the classics and explore, figure out what you like best and maybe even try your hand at it. Once you find what floats your boat, you'll be much better equipped to make a web page that people will be interested in visiting. Most people here are bombarded by all things chipmusic every day in their facebook news feed, reddit, forums, email etc etc. Another "be all end all super general page about everything and the world" is probably not going to gain much traction.

While the page will still stand, I can promise you ill be doing as much exploring as possible in the meantime, as well as contributing to the already existing communities out there.

And you still dont like the description? Thats funny, because I found it using links here at CM.O. Obviously im looking for as accurate a description as possible, so a better one is always appreciated. Thanks for understanding

NC in the US of America

You got your description from the first paragraph of woolyss' definition of chiptune, right? Read a bit deeper. smile

For many people "chiptune" and "chipmusic", as woolyss defines them, are interchangeable. You may want to use the definition under "chipmusic" as your description.

It's confusing and contradictory, I know.

babylon

talkpolite is officially cool as fuck.

if your into "chipstep" might i suggest checking out  quarta330 , kodek, kraettz, cow'p, team toothpaste, uoki toki,  ???, nnnnnnnnnn. lots of artist have some dope dubstep tracks sprinkled into theyre normal repertoire - usk , iayd, and knife city come to mind off the top of my head.

Haha thanks Walter. Feel free to check out the page if you like it.

Sketch you are correct! That's exactly where I got it from. I will do some more digging later. Right now I'm lost in the music that people have been throwing at me. And thanks for the term clarification.

Last edited by TalkPolite (May 3, 2013 9:11 pm)