UK, Leicester
liquidcalm wrote:

I'd say go for it, as long as you have the links and fill the fields like everyone else.. its hard to go wrong with Google sheets, though a google form that inputs to it may make things a little easier for people intimidated by data.

As for organising the form, just click on the tops of column and you can sort by A - Z or Z to A...

Thanks for that, put myself down.

TheBronyChip wrote:

i dont know how to add myself so could you add me please?

soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/the-chip

bandcamp:
http://thebronychip.bandcamp.com/

USA
ME

no facebook sorry

and you to.

Going to see if I can add a few more people before I head off for bed.

East Kilbride, Scotland
Bit wish wrote:

Ummm. I dunno what happend but i think it would be more helpful for one looking for artist in a particular location if they were listed by country.

I agree totally, but someone keeps on fucking with the layout when I'm not there (please stop doing this or I'll have to remove access). I've changed it back so it is listed Country, State, District, Artist. Everyone, please keep it that way.

ui wrote:

You could add a background color for each country.
And i dont know if have mutiples websites help, i preffer just one

The colour thing will become a headache quickly (and I get them frequently, staring at rainbows won't help that). On the multiple websites issue, well, I think it's great to give people options. It makes it an all things for all people kind of database. I prefer looking up people on Bandcamp, some people prefer Soundcloud or Facebook. It also helps us to keep track of an artist if one of their websites goes down. Thanks for your input though!

Also, on the "am I too new" question, you'll know the answer to that yourself if you have to ask.

Sycamore Drive wrote:
Bit wish wrote:

Ummm. I dunno what happend but i think it would be more helpful for one looking for artist in a particular location if they were listed by country.

I agree totally, but someone keeps on fucking with the layout when I'm not there (please stop doing this or I'll have to remove access). I've changed it back so it is listed Country, State, District, Artist. Everyone, please keep it that way.

ui wrote:

You could add a background color for each country.
And i dont know if have mutiples websites help, i preffer just one

The colour thing will become a headache quickly (and I get them frequently, staring at rainbows won't help that). On the multiple websites issue, well, I think it's great to give people options. It makes it an all things for all people kind of database. I prefer looking up people on Bandcamp, some people prefer Soundcloud or Facebook. It also helps us to keep track of an artist if one of their websites goes down. Thanks for your input though!

Also, on the "am I too new" question, you'll know the answer to that yourself if you have to ask.

Melbtown, Lolstralia

I have a slightly outdated massive list.. If I dump it in there will there be people to help delete duplicates and generally tidy it up?

Venezuela

About background, it dont have to be a rainbow! XD... just a background color and BAR for the country and you dont even need to add the country itself, like this...

COUNTRY --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ARTIST | STATE | DISTRICT | PAGE ( WEBSITE / FACEBOOK / SOUNDCLOUD / BANDCAMP )

OR, more detailed

COUNTRY --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* ARTIST | PAGE ( WEBSITE / FACEBOOK / SOUNDCLOUD / BANDCAMP )
* ARTIST | PAGE ( WEBSITE / FACEBOOK / SOUNDCLOUD / BANDCAMP )
----- STATE ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***** ARTIST | PAGE ( WEBSITE / FACEBOOK / SOUNDCLOUD / BANDCAMP )
---------- DISTRICT ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
********** ARTIST | PAGE ( WEBSITE / FACEBOOK / SOUNDCLOUD / BANDCAMP )

That will save a lot of txt data and you can organize them by country/state/district. I think this is the best one, because you can easly press SEARCH and find the country, state or district, because there will be JUST ONE. But of course this is just my suggest! tongue

East Kilbride, Scotland
Dot.AY wrote:

I have a slightly outdated massive list.. If I dump it in there will there be people to help delete duplicates and generally tidy it up?

Dump it in (or just link to it here) and I'll take care of it.

Last edited by Sycamore Drive (May 7, 2013 5:01 pm)

East Kilbride, Scotland

EVERYONE PLEASE READ. If you want to add yourself to the database, please use this form below. I'll update it daily with every new response.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/142dFDZ … g/viewform

vancouver, canada

just a tip, using the Google Spreadsheets API and some additional forethought you'll be able to access the data in the spreadsheet to do some interesting things.

i always thought it would be useful to have some kind of decentralized chip artists registry that's not tied to a specific site's database...

Maine

thanks for adding me!

Venezuela
Sycamore Drive wrote:

EVERYONE PLEASE READ. If you want to add yourself to the database, please use this form below. I'll update it daily with every new response.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/142dFDZ … g/viewform

awesome! heart

bryface wrote:

just a tip, using the Google Spreadsheets API and some additional forethought you'll be able to access the data in the spreadsheet to do some interesting things.

i always thought it would be useful to have some kind of decentralized chip artists registry that's not tied to a specific site's database...

Great observation. As someone who is involved in statistical projects and knows how to work some bell curves, this is a very cool prospect to look at in the future.

East Kilbride, Scotland
thebitman wrote:
bryface wrote:

Great observation. As someone who is involved in statistical projects and knows how to work some bell curves, this is a very cool prospect to look at in the future.

Exactly. I like how anyone could download and manipulate this kind of data. I'm excited by the prospects, but in order for it to be of any real use, it needs filled! So I'm trying to press on with that.

Thanks so much everyone for caring and contributing!

East Kilbride, Scotland

A massive thanks to Dot.AY and 8bitpeoples for the work they put into their own database. I've integrated it, and started amending all of the records (taking out long-term inactive members, adding website links, updating locations, etc). It's a long road ahead, but the database now stands at 700 artists strong with locations and most with links to music, etc.

Although, this means that it will be quite a task verifying all of this information. If you spot anything needing corrected, let me know below!

Also, using a form is smart. People never use those to their full potential really.

Bristol

wow.. thats sure grown..
Just a thought but an 'active' or 'inactive' field may be useful as I saw a few artists I know are no longer in the bizz.

Matthew Joseph Payne

Agreed on the active/inactive field. It might also be wise to somehow indicate whether the artist is a performing artist or not - a surprising number of chip artists are active but choose not to play shows.

As a specific note, The Glowing Stars is broken up, but all our websites and info are still up, so that would be a great use for the "inactive" tag.