Los Angeles, CA

There are so many ways in which live sound will always sound different from the record. Different characteristics of the PA you're using, the room that the music is being played in...I'm happy that my "Thrash City" album doesn't sound like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cVoSoO5qJ0

Now, if you're playing live, you're almost certainly going to plug into some sort of mixer or soundboard, which will pretty much always have some sort of EQ on it. A simple bass boost there makes a GBC bass mod unnecessary. If you want your album to sound as similar as the live show, just record the output of your mixer, with that EQ.

NC in the US of America
Wizwars wrote:

There are so many ways in which live sound will always sound different from the record. Different characteristics of the PA you're using, the room that the music is being played in...I'm happy that my "Thrash City" album doesn't sound like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cVoSoO5qJ0

Now, if you're playing live, you're almost certainly going to plug into some sort of mixer or soundboard, which will pretty much always have some sort of EQ on it. A simple bass boost there makes a GBC bass mod unnecessary. If you want your album to sound as similar as the live show, just record the output of your mixer, with that EQ.

+1

And, personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with offering a different experience in live performances than what is present in a "studio" recording.

That venue, lol what the hell.

Sure? Does the color match the grey brick in bass and fullness after adjusting the knobs on the mixer?

I'm saving up for a mixer and some sort of mixing speakers, so I wouldn't have a clue really. My 3 shows had me asking others to manage the mixer, and monitors never gave me an accurate idea of how my sound or my bass was hmm

Maybe readjusting my first expression: I want to be just as harsh live.

If mods and stuff can assure that, it would render post-production useless.

Last edited by Jotie (Jun 4, 2013 6:55 am)

shanghai
SketchMan3 wrote:

And, personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with offering a different experience in live performances than what is present in a "studio" recording.

It's more the other way around, I want the live sound to be just as hard and harsh.
I'm not arguing against post-production, but in favor of things that could add to the sound of a live show.

Los Angeles, CA
Jotie wrote:

That venue, lol what the hell.

Sure? Does the color match the grey brick in bass and fullness after adjusting the knobs on the mixer?

I'm saving up for a mixer and some sort of mixing speakers, so I wouldn't have a clue really. My 3 shows had me asking others to manage the mixer, and monitors never gave me an accurate idea of how my sound or my bass was hmm

Maybe readjusting my first expression: I want to be just as harsh live.

If mods and stuff can assure that, it would render post-production useless.

It wasn't a real venue, but a shop in Hollywood...

I always argue that yes, a properly EQ'd Game Boy Color can sound just as bass heavy and full as a grey brick. I've played just over 50 shows, probably half with a DMG and half with a GBC...I knows my shit and yes, you can get a GBC sounding just as bassy live without mods, as you can a DMG.

I can't remember ever really hearing a mod for GBC that makes the bass that much louder than just turning up an EQ knob...there is however a good mod for reducing the noise from a GBC, I just don't have a link to it off hand.

But it's all personal preference whether or not your recorded output sounds the same or not to your live stuff. Personally, I've reached a point where I want to make records that sound a bit more full and produced and have the live stuff sound more stripped back, kind of like what it's really like to see a band perform (y'know, where a guitarist does 15 overdubs but live he can only play one part). But dats just me.

However if I had a decent laptop, I'd totally run my mixer into it and have cubase process the the signal with my crazy brickwall compression / EQ settings and then output that into the PA...god how I've fucking wished for so long that I had the capabilities to do this.

Last edited by Wizwars (Jun 4, 2013 7:14 am)

Ah that's awesome. I never really wanted any mods, but the bass mod seemed necessary basswise. Plus I was worrying about possibly ruining my GBC's while soldering.

Yeah, you do whatever the hell you want, I think Trash City and Gutsfuck are amazing and coincidentally been listening to Gutsfuck for at least once every day the last three-four days. If you tell me I don't need mods, than I don't want any mad .

EDIT: Still, that shop is amazing, the smurf drinking beer, the pink, the cardboard clown, the pink zebraprint. How did you get to play there?

Last edited by Jotie (Jun 4, 2013 12:41 pm)

Los Angeles, CA

I know the owner through Kool Skull...I've played there a bunch of times, and also had my release party for "Thrash City" there.

And thanks for ze praise big_smile

CHIPcinnati Ohio

I use a variety of different methods for recording and mastering. It taking forever for me to release my album right now cause im trying to get the cleanest sound out of gameboys (DMG). Lately ive been recording each channel separate and then recording them all them together and master that way. I think it great to get a focused and even  eq and compression. When i record with ssdengage S.P.R.Y. usually handles all the mastering and recording. We usually use a rackmount compander and compressor to bring up the bass and sound of the gameboys. For  Disabletrons MPC we use his individual outs into a analog mixer  and into our main mixer. to again separate the sound. My advice is if you can find a rack mount unit for compression and eq USE it! It works better with analog devices ive been noticing. To always record your mixer flat and eq with a rackmount or vst in a recording program. Straight sound is great and has it quaitys but if you want the most out of your gameboy use compresion,EQ, and Limiters, noise reduction, a Good reverb and delay and if you can find one a compander. You'll be happy with sound and wont believe you made it i guarantee it.

Gosford, Australia
my.Explosion wrote:
basspuddle wrote:

eq'ing is for the pros. i'm not a pro.

It's also for people who have super expensive headphones that have a very neutral sound. Can't really EQ that efficiently if your headphones are too weak or too bassy. :[

man i started mixing/producing in 2002, and very rarely have i owned or even had access to truly neutral speakers/headphones, only at college where we were using $100k fairlight consoles in acoustically treated studios where you could actually notice the difference between speakers, sort of. mainly i've been using $30 sennheiser cans and logitech gaming speakers haha. it's all about knowing how your speakers sound and mixing with that in mind, then as long they're giving you 20-20K you can EQ as effectively as anyone imo.

having said that, i got a pair of super expensive headphones a couple years ago and they're still the best 800 bucks i ever spent. definitely not neutral but still amazing for everything.

Unknown

I would not call myself pro at chip. But I ffind the best results with recording the raw output, then adding a little compression, I record simple.

washington

after a legitimate usb interface, my next purchase will be a set of monitors, i'm pretty tired of how bad my recorded stuff sounds everywhere except for on my headphones.

México, DF.

Also, sidechains.
I like to record the kick drums (wav + at least 1 pulse) aside so I can give them enough compression and Sidechain all the basslines to it.

HOT SIGNAL
DROWN IN REVERB
CHILLWAVEGRUNGECHIPCORE

Detroit

i just put my gameboy up to the laptop mic and record it in sound recorder

can only be 1 minute long tho sad

Brisbane, Australia
The One Electronic wrote:

i just put my gameboy up to the laptop mic and record it in sound recorder

can only be 1 minute long tho sad

Please be kidding
Haha!