My GB Boy (not colour) came in today and when i put in lsdj I noticed that its fast as hell. It doesn't sound normal. Do I have to change out the crystal? I tried other cartridges/games and it still sounds like its on drugs. Also can you backlight one of these? I assume it'd be like backlighting a pocket, but I've never modded a pocket so i wouldn't know. I haven't looked inside yet, but has anyone noticed the same things or done any modding yet?

matt's mind

check this out: http://chipmusic.org/forums/post/170892/#p170892

i think it should cover everything, but ask more questions if you've got them!  there is a bit of community exploration of these consoles going on atm, so any questions/answers are great

Could be that LSDJ is falsely detecting it as a Gameboy Color and is running crazy fast. Not sure if it WOULD sound like that, but this is rather curious. My GB Boy Colour sounds *almost* normal.

kitsch wrote:

check this out: http://chipmusic.org/forums/post/170892/#p170892

i think it should cover everything, but ask more questions if you've got them!  there is a bit of community exploration of these consoles going on atm, so any questions/answers are great

Aw sweet! Justin's a boss. I just got to wait for tutorial or something now since im no good at this stuff by myself.

thebitman wrote:

Could be that LSDJ is falsely detecting it as a Gameboy Color and is running crazy fast. Not sure if it WOULD sound like that, but this is rather curious. My GB Boy Colour sounds *almost* normal.

No, they just screwed up. They did fix it on the colour though, I love mine

Also, it's probably a little nit-picky of me, but i have to press the down button rather hard in order for it to register. I dunno its whatever

.FILTHadelphia
Spaceman wrote:

Also, it's probably a little nit-picky of me, but i have to press the down button rather hard in order for it to register. I dunno its whatever

I wouldn't expect much out of pirated hardware.

NC in the US of America
Spaceman wrote:

You could check to see if the contact is dirty. I had to press the down button on one of my usb game controllers really hard. I opened it up and turns out was filthy.

Unsubscribe

Short answer: dont buy pirate systems and expect a program like lsdj to run ok on it.

matt's mind

apples and oranges maybe?

Abandoned on Fire

Have you looked to see if the gb boy color's crystal is surface mounted?

matt's mind

its not

its a 25MHz crystal in the same package as the stock DMG crystal.  i forget the name of that package off the top of my head

matt's mind

the GB Boy, however, has the 5MHz crystal (same package)

the crystal rate in a stock gameboy is based on a 2^x calculation i believe, so (speculating alert) i'm wondering if finding whatever value closest to 25.000MHz in that way of arriving at the crystal value nintendo speculatively used would result in an 'in tune' result (meaning the makers of the console just chose the closest clock value to what they exactly needed, which was 25MHz)?  it seems like the GB Boy pitch fix being a crystal swap would mean the designers made similar decisions as Nintendo when creating its CPU (assuming its proprietary), so possibly did the same in the GB Boy Colour in regards to its internal structure

nitro2k01 (i think), a while ago, was just pondering in another thread over why nintendo used a 4.19xxxx crystal instead of a 4.000MHz one and mentioned something about the possible mathematical justification for this, and i think he was proposing it had something to do with an exponential relationship, base 2.  (sorry if this wasn't you or i've butchered your ponderings!)

Abandoned on Fire
kitsch wrote:

its not

its a 25MHz crystal in the same package as the stock DMG crystal.  i forget the name of that package off the top of my head

Kool!

Unsubscribe
kitsch wrote:

apples and oranges maybe?

More like apples and pears.

matt's mind

^ yeah, that's spot on.  apples and pears.