Hi all,

I started playing with milkytracker and I have a question regarding changing the instrument samples.

I was wondering if you know whether there is an easy way (through a shortcut for example) to automatically map the whole instrument to a selected sample? Let’s say I have a “drum kick” instrument which has 9 different kick samples. I always have the first sample selected as default, and if I want to use another one, as I understand it, I have to map a different sample manually in the instrument editor.. Is there a way to automatically use the sample you select without having to open the instrument editor and map every key to it?

thnx

Chicago IL

for what you want it sounds like you should be loading 9 samples without creating any instruments

Hmm, I thought samples are "bound" to instruments when you create/load them?

I don't think you can do it automatically.

Load your first sample as normal so it creates an instrument. (instrument0)
Now move to the next 'box' in the sample window of the instrument.  (see I've got sample0.wav and sample1.wav below it)
Click on Disk Op, Select Load Sample and load the wav.  It'll appear in the sample box.
Click on Instrument Editor. (which is the window at the bottom of the screenshot)
Select which sample you want to map on the keyboard, then click on the relevant keys on the keyboard at the bottom.   They're all by default mapped to 0, but you can see I've mapped the top half of the keyboard with 1.
Obviously the higher you go the higher the deafult sample pitch is going to be, so you need to compensate by setting the relative note lower in the instrument editor.

Last edited by 4mat (Jun 9, 2013 12:30 pm)

That's what I thought. Thank you for the reply. smile

Although, I don't really see the point of having samples then..? When it would obviously be much more convenient to add each sample to a new instrument if you want to have different samples of drum kicks in one .xm for example.

They're useful if you've got an instrument sampled at different pitches (eg: a piano), but for drums it's easier to just have different instruments than try and do it the midi way

For chip I sometimes use it for different PWM loops across the pitch range, saves having to change them manually in the pattern.

NC in the US of America

Having multiple samples in a single drum instrument has been incredibly useful for me, as I can create my drum patterns quickly and efficiently without having to change instruments. I can just map my kick to C, my snare to E, and my hi-hats to G# and A#, and my toms can fill in all the white keys from the higher C down to F.

I mean it may take a little more time to setup, but it improves my workflow and you can always save your drums.xi and just replace the samples in later projects if you don't want to keep recycling the same drums. That's the closest you'll get to doing it automatically.