England
Heosphoros wrote:

Time to cash in, guys.

I'm on bandcamp right now adding Anamanaguchi as a tag on all my releases.

rochester, ny
n00bstar wrote:

They're by far the most accessible product of the scene

I think their "accessibility" takes a distant backseat to their work ethic in the list of reasons they're successful.

Without taking anything away from Anamanaguchi, I would say someone like J. Arthur Keenes (strong pop vocals) or some of the more house/trance/whatever dudes are more "accessible" than Anamanaguchi because they're so much more similar to music people are already familiar with. Intense, hyperactive power pop with 64th note square waves isn't really that "accessible", I don't think.

Anamanaguchi is kicking ass because they're working hard and have been working hard for years. So stoked to see them doing so well! So stoked to see them play in rochester with danimal so soon!

Last edited by nickmaynard (Jun 18, 2013 12:44 pm)

Holland
nickmaynard wrote:
n00bstar wrote:

They're by far the most accessible product of the scene

I think their "accessibility" takes a distant backseat to their work ethic in the list of reasons they're successful.

Without taking anything away from Anamanaguchi, I would say someone like J. Arthur Keenes (strong pop vocals) or some of the more house/trance/whatever dudes are more "accessible" than Anamanaguchi because they're so much more similar to music people are already familiar with. Intense, hyperactive power pop with 64th note square waves isn't really that "accessible", I don't think.

Anamanaguchi is kicking ass because they're working hard and have been working hard for years. So stoked to see them doing so well! So stoked to see them play in rochester with danimal so soon!

I'd say under the term 'chiptune' they're pretty accessible. Bands like Anamana that use instruments and a vibe that people are familiair with are really a lot easier to pick up by 'mainstream' (wrong word, don't know how to describe a better one) than the hardcore C64, SNES, or whatever console - artists. So I'd would say that chiptune is still a niche.

Jellica wrote:
Heosphoros wrote:

Time to cash in, guys.

I'm on bandcamp right now adding Anamanaguchi as a tag on all my releases.

I legit laughed out loud.

rochester, ny
xylo wrote:
nickmaynard wrote:

I'd say under the term 'chiptune' they're pretty accessible. Bands like Anamana that use instruments and a vibe that people are familiair with are really a lot easier to pick up by 'mainstream' (wrong word, don't know how to describe a better one) than the hardcore C64, SNES, or whatever console - artists. So I'd would say that chiptune is still a niche.

Yeah I mean, I wouldn't disagree that they're more accessible than some. But people talk about their "accessibility" as if they owe their success to it (and I've seen some people use the term derisively or as a way to justify their own lack of success).

If Anamanaguchi didn't have rock instruments, I believe they would still be successful because of their work ethic (which I think is unique in the scene) and their perseverance (8 or 9 years of making music?).

Holland
nickmaynard wrote:
xylo wrote:

Yeah I mean, I wouldn't disagree that they're more accessible than some. But people talk about their "accessibility" as if they owe their success to it (and I've seen some people use the term derisively or as a way to justify their own lack of success).

If Anamanaguchi didn't have rock instruments, I believe they would still be successful because of their work ethic (which I think is unique in the scene) and their perseverance (8 or 9 years of making music?).

I definitely wouldn't state they own their success to being more or less accessible than other chiptune artists! Hard work deserves credit!  Just saying that I think it's easier to break out of the niche when making a style of chiptunes that is a bit more familiair due to the use of other instruments besides the usual game stuff. And therefore don't agree a 100 percent with Primate saying Anamanaguchi proofs it is actually not true that chiptunes stays a niche. Depends very much on the style imho.

Last edited by xylo (Jun 18, 2013 2:07 pm)

Madriz, Supain

Dont get me wrong guys but theyre having success being unique. If you change the videogame pretracked sounds for regular electronic backs or a singer you have like 105374967'04 poppunkrockwhatever bands wich are doing better. If you take out the instruments you have like 374 videogaming virtuosos doing better here and there.

Props for getting on Fallon and whatnot, tho.

Youngstown, OH

Man, good for them. Gonna watch this.

My main listening habits are pretty much death metal, contemporary classical and snes/n64 era game soundtracks, so I think I know a thing or two about what's inaccessible. I think Anama got on national TV for the same reason we'd all hope for; they're working hard on something cool and they've been doing it for a good while.

Youngstown, OH

Doesn't hurt that they have a human element to their chip music, no. But most music listeners are in fact human, so yeah the pop-punk thing works in their favor but I don't think that's what got them this far, plenty of dudes recording guitar over their LSDj tracks. Not a lot taking their music seriously and touring with it.

Brooklyn, NY

I was really dying for Meow to kick in at some point.

Also, anyone else notice how precariously mounted those LED Projector Cubes (capitalization totally appropriate) are?

Robotcity, the year 20XX

Freaking awesome! They deserve it. I understand the "they are really accessible" point by xylo. But fuck xylo, xyce is just as accessible! big_smile

It is imho a combination of:
1. Making songs people want to hear;
2. The unique blending of a band with a nintendo;
3. Working your ass off.

rochester, ny
xylo wrote:

I definitely wouldn't state they own their success to being more or less accessible than other chiptune artists! Hard work deserves credit.

I realized after I posted that what I wrote sounded like I was targeting my comments at you when I wasn't. Sorry. I'm talking about other musicians who use anamanaguchi's accessibility as a weird excuse for their personal lack if success. Like "anamanaguchi's only got popular because their 'accessible' and I would be just as popular but I'm not a sell out, I make REAL chip music".

Anyone that thinks like that is an idiot. These guys have worked their asses off and deserve everything they're getting.

sleepytimejesse wrote:

plenty of dudes recording guitar over their LSDj tracks. Not a lot taking their music seriously and touring with it.

Exactly.

Unsubscribe

That's nothing, wait till you see nullsleeps guest apprentice on this seasons VAMPIRE DIARIES.

NC in the US of America

It's too bad there aren't any "game consoles only" chipmusic artists trying as hard to "make it big" as Anamanaguchi is to compare the two. Science, we need experiments.

But anyway, congrats to them, I wish I could have seen it on the tube (not youtube).

rochester, ny

I'm actually pretty curious when the last time any of the late night shows had an instrumental band on. Or what percentage of the musical guests ate made up of instrumental bands.

Unsubscribe

Conan has Los Straitjackets on all the time.