"game consoles only"? what?

NC in the US of America
4mat wrote:

"game consoles only"? what?

I'm talking about in terms of instrumentation.

Edit: I'm saying people whos music is primarily and predominantly old-gaming/computing-electronics based who are actually trying to get into the mainstream.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 18, 2013 7:08 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA
Men of Mega wrote:

It is imho a combination of:
1. Making songs people want to hear;
2. The unique blending of a band with a nintendo;
3. Working your ass off.

With all due respect, I don't think these are reasons for success at all, though a lot of #3 sure helps.

It's great to see them doing well and greater when they find some time to say hi.

Unsubscribe

Also should point out that there is tons of sample based tracker songs all over the d-lp, so DEATH TO CONSOLE WARS ALREADY.

Im surprised no one freaked out they where playing with a macbook.

No that's not my point, the tools are kind of irrelevant.

It's all about being at the right place, at the right time, doing the right things.

Play lots of gigs in NYC, have a fun novelty approach to music, have an overall charming attitude, add word of mouth and buzz around your name, go viral, go on TV.

Working hard is definitely a key factor and they've totally shown that time and time again. Mad respect and hope we can all ride their coat tails into oblivion.

Unsubscribe
4mat wrote:

No that's not my point, the tools are kind of irrelevant.

Yea I totally agree and get what you saying. I think once the gooch freed themselves from using actually chips on stage and in their music solely, they really took off to a next level and this success is a big result of that. I don't see this album or current live show happening to the degree it would ive they stuck to playing basement clubs with 25 year old consoles.

Last edited by herr_prof (Jun 18, 2013 7:12 pm)

Playboy Man-Baby
SketchMan3 wrote:

It's too bad there aren't any "game consoles only" chipmusic artists trying as hard to "make it big" as Anamanaguchi is to compare the two. Science, we need experiments.

But anyway, congrats to them, I wish I could have seen it on the tube (not youtube).

I'm not sure how someone could possibly reach that level of attention with just a DMG or whatever. People are whiny and scared and need things like guitars, things they know, to 'anchor' them when they find new music.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Jun 18, 2013 7:46 pm)

It seems unusual to me that those achieving success are actually good people from within the grassroots of the scene.  Be sure to enjoy these moments.

Abandoned on Fire
budmelvin wrote:

It seems unusual to me that those achieving success are actually good people from within the grassroots of the scene.  Be sure to enjoy these moments.

Wisdom untainted by cynicism.  heart

Last edited by egr (Jun 18, 2013 8:20 pm)

Detroit, Michigan
egr wrote:
budmelvin wrote:

Wisdom untainted by cynicism.  heart

^^^ The guch dudes are some of the nicest, humble people I know & deserve every bit of attention their getting right now. So happy for them heart

BK
nickmaynard wrote:

I'm actually pretty curious when the last time any of the late night shows had an instrumental band on. Or what percentage of the musical guests ate made up of instrumental bands.

Pretty sure Explosions in the Sky have been on Conan before. But that was years ago, I think.

lolusa

did anyone else's dad text you about it?

buffalo, NY

It's too bad coochie didn't become millionairz years ago so they could save the Michael Jackson game boy

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Trying to pin their success on a single reason is pretty weird. They work really hard, they sound good and they've had a lot of luck. That's how people have always made it in the music business.

Sure, accessibility is important. Too far to the edges of the bell curve and you lose a lot of your audience, too close to the center and people think you're boring. That said, there are plenty of acts both within the chip scene and elsewhere who are easily within the same range and who may even work just as hard but have lacked a bit of luck in meeting the right people.

Hell, some of the opportunities that I've had in my career have far outstripped my expectations and it's come down to a good connection or a spot of random luck. It's something that you can't easily cultivate, sometimes you've just got to persevere, work hard and be friendly to EVERYONE. That's the best advice if you don't want to change the way you make your music but still hope to take it someone.

Anamanaguchi, along with Infinity Shred, work their asses off. They make connections with everyone and they're friendly to people even if they can't see how those people might help them in the future. The music side of things is a lot less relevant, if you work hard then you're bound to make great music and there's always a market for great music.

Los Angeles, CA

It was probably easier for Anamanaguchi to get famous than it would be for a typical chiptune artist because they didn't restrict themselves by only focusing on playing within the chip scene like a lot of people do. The most successful gigs I've ever played in terms of crowd response were playing with an eclectic mix or rock and punk bands with me in the middle. When people stop thinking about chiptune as like a union and just worry about how their own music is precieved by people outside the scene, their audience base has more potential to grow. If you're going on tour, don't fucking worry about always hitting up chiptune events with only chiptune artists...network, find some local experimental scenes that dig new stuff and hit them up, play shows with those kind of people.

Sorry I'm medicated as  i write this, carry on