Earthling

Hmmmm I am very interested in your work, arfink. I'm considering saying that I'll be down with buying a cart from you, however what about backing up sav files? And also Neil has hinted that in the future NSF export may be a feature of NTRQ - how would one go about getting the data off of one of these carts onto another computer?

x

Last edited by <|¦¬{D (Apr 8, 2010 7:19 pm)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
<|¦¬{D wrote:

Hmmmm I am very interested in your work, arfink. I'm considering saying that I'll be down with buying a cart from you, however what about backing up sav files? And also Neil has hinted that in the future NSF export may be a feature of NTRQ - how would one go about getting the data off of one of these carts onto another computer?

x

this is where owning multiple carts comes into play. wink as there really isn't a method for doing that to the best of my knowledge.

WOW MAN!

Something that's bugged me for a while, despite saying I'm going to do the work to NTRQ: what's the obsession with NSF files?

Do people still use them these days? I'd genuinely like to know how useful/desirable such a feature would be. I did it for Nijuu but because of the nature of NTRQ (it's a playback engine as well as a composing tool) and the fact that I'll be releasing stand-alone player code for NTRQ files, I'm not sure it's *that* useful for NTRQ.

It's highly possible I'm wrong though smile

If this needs it's own thread then please, moderators, move it out of here.

Unsubscribe

I think st people use it to lsiten on their computer and its much smaller and easier to use on various hardware.. plsu we can play them on powerpaks!

Geneva, NY

NSF is widely accepted.  Rockbox supports NSF so I know people are litening to NSFs on the ipod.  Most emulators play them, too...

I listen to NSFs in FCE on my Wii while I clean my house.  big_smile

/thread hijack

WOW MAN!

But that's for older music, right?

I mean, you look at *cough* 8bc and bandcamp and it's all MP3?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

I'm with you Neil. wink  but peeps hold on to what they know.. NSF, SID, MIDI, etc. simple small files that can be played back on simple programs.

But i think it's a dawn of a new era.. play it on your NES or NES emulator or record the audio and deal w/ it. smile

Geneva, NY

i started some talky over here out of respect to arfink: http://chipmusic.org/forums/post/18717/#p18717

Minneapolis

Thanks bleo! Yeah, I'm not going to mess with NES to PC backups of any kind for now, since I am in agreement with Low-Gain about just recording your songs when you get done.

Earthling

Personally I don't see NSF export as an essential feature for NTRQ. However, a lot of us do love our NSF collections, and it is nice to share a song file which is only about 10KB big rather than 10MB, and as bleo said it's a very widely accepted format. But even though I am very interested in one of these carts, I am concerned about losing  all of my song data when the battery inevitably runs out! sad

edit: I guess recording would be an acceptable compromise especially because of the nature of the hacked cart. Sorry for the fuss smile

Last edited by <|¦¬{D (Apr 8, 2010 8:32 pm)

Minneapolis

No problem. And these will almost certainly have to get new batteries, possibly socketed ones. One thing I have never understood is why loosing your songs to a battery failure is such a concern for people. If you record your work then it'll be just fine. Also, NES carts don't tend to suck down the battery backup very fast at all compared to GB flash cartridges for whatever reason. And the new SRAM I am going to use has an even smaller power consumption than the oboard SRAM the SKROM board ships with.

Plano, TX

I plan to use NTRQ as a live tool, just like LSDJ, so having the original song files intact is important.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

For those interested in copying save data off of their home-made carts, I'd think that maybe the copyNES over at RetroUSB might be of use.  It's kinda pricey at $70.00, but you can dump and rewrite saves.  Plus, if you don't already have a PowerPak, you can grab a PowerPak Lite which is nearly the same, but requires a copyNES to load files.

It is a kinda expensive solution, though.  Really, I think I'll be using a PowerPak for most of my work with NTRQ.  It's simpler and safer to back up - which is important for me when I do so much gigging.  However, I really just want to have a "hard copy" of NTRQ, and I already have the materials and equipment to do so.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Apr 8, 2010 8:39 pm)

Minneapolis

Yeah, this is the hard-copy solution, with some improvements. I'm thinking that as long as I'm going to swap the SRAM it might as well be replaced with nvSRAM so that no battery need be used. They're generally good for 20+ years at least, usually quite a bit more depending on how heavily used they are.

Minneapolis

Oh, and if you had a powerpak you could use a very simple NTRQ with a single SRAM bank and it'd still be cheaper than a PowerPak. smile

Earthling

I didn't quite understand your last post, arfink. powerpak cheaper than a PowerPak?