MA

I searched, and searched... can't find much info on how to get rid of that fuzz, on the wave channel, in LSDJ . (Tried playing around w/ different settings...no luck) This problem usually happens only when using kits. I'm using ver. 4.0.4. Does anyone else have this problem, or any tips on reducing the horrible static?

sweden
GB DEV FAQs wrote:

Four bit wave playback - Sound channel 3 has a 4-bit 32 sample long wave RAM that you can set for playing a 32 sample waveform repeatedly. It wasn't specifically designed to handle continuously new samples but you can refill the wave RAM each time 32 samples have been sent to the speaker. This reload of RAM process causes the first sample to always be 0 which shows up in sample playback as a low frequency buzz sound. Depending on what sounds you are playing back this buzz is more or less noticeable.

It's what you get when using 4bit samples. No way around it I'm afraid.

:edit
Nordloef beat me to it.

Last edited by tRasH cAn maN (Apr 8, 2010 7:18 am)

Melbourne, Australia

I'll say this though, the included sample kit is particularly poor.

Try this to make some of your own and experiment until you get it right.

http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2008/1 … -lsdj.html

MA

Okay... So, is it fair to say that using kits in LSDJ (Pre-loaded, or sample packs) is not recommended? (Unless you like the fuzziness?)

I tend to stick with percussion instruments, in the Pulse and Noise channels. And use those channels to make drum beats (Best sounding-method, as of yet)

Any suggestions or links to Sample Drum Kits that don't sound like shit? Or a way to make 'em sound better (no Fuzz)? smile

My next question, has to do with the Patcher... What's the point of using it anymore, if (most) sampled kits sound horrible? I can't seem to import anything on to LSDJ, that sounds clean? Anyone following me on this?

(Sorry, if someone else already asked this)

@Celcius: Right... LsdJ has some pretty poor sounding kits... no doubt about that sad

Preparing samples... I'm still a noobie, so I'm not really at that level...yet. (I've been peeking at that tut here n there)
How do prepared samples sound, when you import them into the patcher...and send it the ROM? Do those sound fuzzy too? Or is this all fixed, when you "prepare samples," and play with the settings (in said programs)?

Last edited by Turtle413 (Apr 8, 2010 7:44 am)

sweden

If you cant stand the fuzz dont make music on a damn game boy.

its not a bug its a feature!

wink

MA
nordloef wrote:

If you cant stand the fuzz dont make music on a damn game boy.

its not a bug its a feature!

wink

True. Point Taken! wink

ad-hell-aide

4-bit audio is only ever going to sounds as good as 4-bit audio. There are no ways around that. Yes - some kits sounds better than other; the samples have been treated specifically for use with the GB (think using EQ and compression etc as well gain that goes beyond clipping).

Personally, I really like the sample playback in LSDJ. I tend to use samples for percussion rather than synthesis. But as with many things, it's a personal preference...

Melbourne, Australia

Dude... Using the excuse that you are a noob will only fly for so long. Do some research, read some tutes, take an active interest. People will just dismiss you as lazy if you can't help yourself. I just posted you a very good tutorial written by one of the most influential and expert artists in our medium. If you don't understand something in the tute such as terms then start googling. How do you think 'the greats' got to where they are now? They didn't wait for answers, they went out of their way to find them for themselves.

Chip music isn't some secret that can be unlocked. It's all just basic synthesis with a few interesting qwerks thrown in that are platform specific.

Do yourself a favor and shift your mentality from pasive sponge to someone who is proactivly inquisitive with the capacity to answer your own questions. You'll get more out of the experience (and life in general) if you learn how to find the answers to your own questions rather than begging to be spoon fed.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

record the channels individually and then gate the noise. smile

Milan, Italy

fuck kits.
use that wave channel for some crazy basses or awesome kicks.
Put all your rhythmic stuff in the noise channel with some random traspose tables and win.

Bronx, NY

EMBRACE THE FUZZ!!

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs
Turtle413 wrote:

LsdJ

Where can I get a copy of LsdJ? (insert joke about "what the fuck is /B/?")

low-gain wrote:

This has a lot of merit. I know I have done it. Post compression and filtering reduces heaps of the things you mention you dislike about the sound of the WAV channel. But as others have said, rather than trying to 'fix' the way the WAV channel plays back, work with it, clip your samples, be conscious that there will be noise there and go for noisy samples. Or, don't use samples...

sweden
low-gain wrote:

But since its an side effect of the actual samples playing in the wavechannel this wont do you any good, better to work with EQ with this "issue" if you are to record the channels individually.

Plano, TX

Isn't part of the charm of chip music the limitations the hardware brings with it? I mean, maybe that's not the same for everyone but personally I LIKE hearing the raw sounds of a Game Boy or a C64 and marveling at how talented people can work with the hardware to create something wonderful from it. If you're going to write a song on a Game Boy and then post-process it all to hell, why not just use modern software from the start?

Brazil

I have a song where I tried to do a little delaying on the wav samples by changing the volume from 3 to 0 and when I play it alone the sound doesn't make an awful noise.

Not complaining, just sharing! big_smile