San Francisco

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/2467/ … a330-lgpt/

that is a discussion on the a330 truthfully it is one of the more expensive options to run handheld piggy with as its selling price is 139 or sumthing like that. psp and dingoo a230 are a lot cheaper at around 80 or so. a330 reviews have also talked about it being a little shoty with the buttons tho the shoulders look nicer then original. GP2X is sweet if you can find one but they are pricey and a bit hard to get. you get the added feature of midi which puts it over all the others if your into that.

i have run LGPT on everything except gp2x. i just got my dingoo and it was fairly easy to setup (tho it was bothersome on my mac). PSP is also easy if you follow the tutorials on youtube. it takes some patience tho.

my pros and cons between the dingoo a230 and the psp:

PSP:

pros:
- Runs Lpgt faster then the other supported handheld devices.
- easy to manage files.
- big screen
- sleep mode
- really comfortable
- easy to work with on windows and macs
- headphone jack is pretty decent and clear and the placement isnt too cumbersome.
cons:
- battery life can be short. (i am running a 1000) though most the time it isnt too bad.
- large size.

Dingoo
- MEGA MOBILE
- good battery life. 7 hours
- light weight
- really easy to set up
- fast boot time.
- decent sound.
- messy but good file managing.
cons:
- tends to freeze a bit
- bad headphone jack placement (its pretty bad)
- shoulder buttons are harder to use but not by much
- does not work well with mac. requires a restart after every usb ejection

If your going to use your device for using emulators say for running lsdj for gameboy or ntrq PSP is king. dingoo tends to freeze. there are some other emulators and versions to try on the dingoo but so far i have found it to be not worth my time. 
it really comes down to what you want.

if you want something new then do the dingoo. if used is ok the do psp (new ones are expensive as shit). if mobility is an issue the dingoo is solid though  psp is pretty portable too.

I got to say i do love my new dingoo. I love my psp too but i just dont want to break it while on the go and it is a bit too big for the pocket. psp for my room dingoo for the outside world. both are great. its a tie for me.

Geneva, NY

We are kings of tl;dr up in this thread!!!

Adding to/correcting a few things lazerbeat mentioned:

-I'm pretty sure the gp2x f200 (white one) doesn't have the annoying recessed headphone jack (EDIT: it DOES have the annoying recessed jack)
-it also doesn't have the thumbstick; they gave it a regular dpad
-I am not a robot, just a little man with smallish, skinny fingers tongue
-the f200 also can't run an official firmware lower than 4.0 so unless you want to install open2x custom firmware, you're looking at at least a 20 sec. boot time
-the dingoo a320 take MINI SD. lazerbeat described it right, just misspoke.  best bet is to get a microSD that comes with a miniSD adapter.

-I tried replacing my a320 screen yesterday but totally chickened out after opening it and seeing that the 40 or so contacts for the ribbon cable actually have to be soldered directly to the circuit board.  I'll try it when I have time, but it's going to be tedious, nerve-wracking and I might totally ruin my dingoo.

Last edited by BLEO (Oct 28, 2010 1:36 pm)

Unsubscribe

maybe use a heat gun instead of solder??

* i have little idea what I am talking about..

Last edited by herr_prof (Oct 28, 2010 1:18 pm)

Geneva, NY
herr_prof wrote:

maybe use a heat gun instead of solder??

Seriously considering it.  Maybe even hot glue.  Maybe both.

San Francisco

good thing  you have smallish skinny  fingers am i right?!?!?!?

Milwaukee, WI

AFAIK its possible to add ram to the A320 to make it identical to the A330...

Geneva, NY
Theta_Frost wrote:

AFAIK its possible to add ram to the A320 to make it identical to the A330...

Well, the a330 also has wireless for an external controller and will accept up to 32MB SDHC (a320 only does up to 8GB, supposedly).  But yeah... a330 is kinda meh I think.

San Francisco

what it comes down too is.... extra money for a dingoo that isnt all that better. doesnt seem worth the difference. i am going to do a comparison between the speed of the loading of a dingoo compared to a psp. i actually might have to say the dingoo might be faster. the more i mess around with thing the more i am falling in love. true story. but for realzies tho. dingoo is pretty great.

Tokyo, Japan
wedanced wrote:

what it comes down too is.... extra money for a dingoo that isnt all that better. doesnt seem worth the difference. i am going to do a comparison between the speed of the loading of a dingoo compared to a psp. i actually might have to say the dingoo might be faster. the more i mess around with thing the more i am falling in love. true story. but for realzies tho. dingoo is pretty great.

might have to pick one up myself.

Dave, show me these dodgy shops you speak of in Akiba big_smile

San Francisco

just a quick update of my findings. my dingoo loads samples faster then my psp 1000. both units have the same amount of samples and the same sample was loaded for the test. the sound clip was 17 seconds long. both units are empty except for the lgpt sample pack and one save file.

nifty.

i also have been paying a little more attention to the sound quality of the headphone jacks and i think the psp is much quieter. maybe its just my unit tho.

I'm on a budget. Do not show me that lil Dingoo!

Long story short: I got a Dingoo and it is awesome! So good.

A bit fiddly to get set up but .. when done, it's great. Highly reccomended.

Tokyo, Japan
mk wrote:

Long story short: I got a Dingoo and it is awesome! So good.

A bit fiddly to get set up but .. when done, it's great. Highly reccomended.

im sold. where did ya get it?

Dodgy back alley shop in akihabara

Brazil

I can say only for the dingoo, which is now my standard way of making music.
The shoulder buttons are the worst part of it. It's really bad but like bleo it doesn't bother me that much, since I don't spend HOURS tracking.
The headphone input is badly placed, BUT you can hook a cable in the tv out for gigs and stuff. A trick I do to not fuck my speakers (since using the tv out they keep on) is to place a L shaped jack (I had one from a cable, cutted it) so it stops the speakers from working. Really useful.
Also the screen is not that bad and my vision dont get forced when I use it.

I used with the PSP and I think the only good thing is the shoulder buttons and screen. The sound output might be better on psp, but dingoo does the job on gigs.

Also, for me dingoo is the best because PSPs are hell expensives here. For more than half the price I can get a Dingoo.

San Francisco

does any one notice a tiny bit of lag time when hitting start on the psp? its not bad but trying to  manually sync is a bitch.