Hi

I currently use LSDJ on GB, and I'd like to use a native NES tracker on a handled.

But I don't know how to choose between the two of them....
What are your advices, if I'm coming from LSDJ?

And also, pulsar crashes on my everdrive N8, and crashes on nestopia as well (it launches and freezes)
Does it happen for you as well?

Thx
Eric

Milwaukee, WI

I tried NTRQ/PR8/Pulsar on eproms using donor carts many times with zero success. It would launch/crash, similar to what you described. I never actually figured out why it wouldn't work (sold off all related equipment in a bout of frustration) but I was later told it had to do with the access speed, even though I used the same parts others used in working setups.

Point being, yes this has happened to me several times and I was thinking of buying an everdrive to avoid the headache. Looks like I'll wait.

Does PR8 work at least?

Yes PR8 works. I didn't play a lot with it for now but I'll do during the next days.
The strange thing is that pulsar crashes on nestopia as well, but it is the emulator advertised by the author....

Oh, I should add that I am not using a rel NES but a clone, a retroduo.

I'll try on a real NES soon is I can

IMHO Neil's stuff works the best on actual hardware.  I have never had any problem with actual hardware.
No crashes, no freezes, no frustration.
http://www.ninstrument.com/?page_id=961

Allright. But it could be useful to make it work on emulators too...
There must be something that works 'by chance' on the actual hardware, or an issue in  the emulation or in the NES clones....
These issues could be interesting to investigate, and the strange thing is that pr8 works well.... doesn't it use the same hi speed sound engine?

In other terms, maybe small fix that would allow far more users to use pulsar... especially with emulators...

DSC wrote:

IMHO Neil's stuff works the best on actual hardware.  I have never had any problem with actual hardware.
No crashes, no freezes, no frustration.
http://www.ninstrument.com/?page_id=961

Unsubscribe

It does work on specific emulators, as detailed in the readme.

WOW MAN!

Well I use all of my software mostly on emulators (Nestopia) and it doesn't crash for me. In fact they're developed on emulators so realistically are more likely to run better than actual hardware.

Problem is there are so many idiosyncrasies with various carts, mappers etc. as well as PowerPak/N8 etc. that it's virtually impossible for me to try to cover all eventualities. And from a development point-of-view, given that I do it in my spare time and for free, the convenience of developing on emulator probably means the difference between me developing and not developing these tools at all.

I'm more than happy to look into issues but I have zero experience with donor carts and ROMs. If you're having trouble in emulators then let me know exactly what you're doing, exactly which versions of the ROM, emulator, platform and operating system, and exactly what the results are. Stuff like video/screen caps etc. It all helps, much more than just saying 'it doesn't work'

smile

I tried with nestopia and it crashed.

Sorry we posted at the same time...

Okay, thanks Neil.

I've got an everdrive N8 and a retroduo clone.

PR8 is working for me on this setup.

I will try pulsar as well, and tell you precisely what happens.

The same for nestopia, I use the linux version.

You use the mac version right?

Last edited by cyberic (Aug 1, 2013 5:06 pm)

WOW MAN!

Not all version of Nestopia are the same. What platform/OS?

I use the version 1.45 for linux here:
http://0ldsk00l.ca/nestopia.html

but I can try on windows as well.

You use the OSX version right?

WOW MAN!

Windows and OSX. OSX one definitely works OK. Windows I only use for occasional testing (on Win XP)

WOW MAN!

Also, please make sure you're using the latest version of the software. Latest versions always available here:

http://nes-audio.com

Taichung, Taiwan

Say no to clone systems.

france

Just a stupid question Neil, what compiler do you use to write this software ?

NC in the US of America

I've briefly used ntrq on android tablet emulators and didn't seem to have any problems.

WOW MAN!
yoyz2k wrote:

Just a stupid question Neil, what compiler do you use to write this software ?

CA65/LD65 - it's the king of 6502 assemblers.

ASM6 is good too (and I used to use it) but CA65 is more sophisticated and flexible.

Edit all my code in TextMate. Run all my (assembled) code in Nestopia. Make all my graphics with NESST (running on Windows emulator)