Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

"The Midi Thru Box Project"

I'm going to be laying out a Midi Thru circuit for some friends and myself.. and i plan to lay out a pcb
and i figure i might as well see if anyone else is interested. I'm sure there are a few of you who actually sync GB's via midi and or use PIggy..

So based on the response here i will figure out how many pcb's to have made up.

I am thinking it will end up being something you can build to be either a 1x2 all the way up to a 1x8, Simple 9-12Vdc operation...
All depends on how many parts you feel like ordering haha.

I would guess a simple 1x8 kit would end up being $30-40 excluding an enclosure if i did an actual kit for it.
(keep in mind this is a midi thru box. not a midi patchbay w/ midi data filtering. just a simple buffered thru box)

Let me know if you guys would be interested, or at least going in on the pcb run.

k'thanks. smile

Last edited by low-gain (May 14, 2010 3:13 pm)

England

I've often wondered what chip-types are using to MIDI up several boxes - what with your average console not having MIDI thru!

I use a Philip Rees W5 dual input/5 out MIDI through box. If I didn't have it, I'd be up for this circuit!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
InactiveX wrote:

I've often wondered what chip-types are using to MIDI up several boxes - what with your average console not having MIDI thru!

I use a Philip Rees W5 dual input/5 out MIDI through box. If I didn't have it, I'd be up for this circuit!

werd.

i think if not enough people are in for the kit. i'll at least see if anyone's up for going in on the pcb run.

I have a crap ton of 74HC14's that i need to use up that  i ordered by accident. hahaha This project will be most excellent for it.

I think i might toss a few Piggy=>Midi's into a few as well and put in a simple DPDT switch to switch between Midi In and GP2X In.
WHAT! Do i smell a Piggy=>Midi MKII (or should i say MK Thru) coming on!? hahahaha.

California
low-gain wrote:

(keep in mind this is a midi thru box. not a midi patchbay w/ midi data filtering. just a simple buffered thru box)

would someone hooking up several consoles benefit from a patchbay/data filtering(no clue what these are)? would your kit serve well for like maybe midines, a gb, and whatever else I decide I want to hook up?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
Rei Yano wrote:
low-gain wrote:

would someone hooking up several consoles benefit from a patchbay/data filtering(no clue what these are)? would your kit serve well for like maybe midines, a gb, and whatever else I decide I want to hook up?

to answer your question,  (i'll use LGPT as my example/midi out source) yes. it would allow you to control up to 8 ( if my memory serves me correctly piggy can handle 8 midi channels? or was it 4?).
Anyways.. it would allow you to control as many devices that piggy can handle via midi, but also allow for syncing as many devices as you have via midi clock to Piggy.

Typically midi patchbay's allow for filtering.. so you can send sync data to 1 output but maybe midi note data and only note data to another.. that type of thing.

I dont think that will really be needed in this case,

So anyways.. potential (if using LGPT)

Piggy controls up to 1-8 midi channels (or separate synths)
Piggy controls up to 1-8 midi synths, but add another thru box and you can sync as many midi devices via midi clock as you want to daisy chain thru boxes.

Last edited by low-gain (Apr 14, 2010 9:28 pm)

hardcore, Australia

I'd be up for one of these.
One of the ones with included piggy>midi.

California

I see. ultimately I think I will be syncing via ableton or something but a way to sync midi without the use of a laptop sounds pretty attractive actually. thanks.

IL, US

you can actually squeeze out a full 16 channels of midi in LGPT, if you alternate instruments withing the same phrases (most of scorched earth tactics had both drum machines in the smae phrases, just as a reminder to not overdo it with bent drum machines)...glad youre talking about using wall current, not midi line voltage like the midi solutions boxes use...
sadly, im all full up on midi thru's now (i have a third one arriving tommorrow, a kenton 1x5) so i dont have need for this, but man, would it have been nice two months ago when i only had the midi solutions quadra thru, since piggy->midi doesnt send midi line voltage smile also, for those who dont know, this would be a hell of a deal, a 1x8 thru that requires midi voltage is approx $150 so $40 for a kit, minus enclosure is a steal, as long as you dont mind some soldering

United Kingdom

Im up for one :L price aint too bad either

hardcore, Australia

After reading this this morning i've spent all day going "FUCK YEAH" and wanting one badly.

Ohio

I'd be interested in a MIDI Thru kit.  It would help me out on my set up.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Cool. it  looks like there are quite a few of you interested.
Let me get a quite breadboard made up of the circuit i've got in my head and i'll get to work on the PCB.

United Kingdom
low-gain wrote:

Cool. it  looks like there are quite a few of you interested.
Let me get a quite breadboard made up of the circuit i've got in my head and i'll get to work on the PCB.

Excellent can't wait Low-Gain smile You work is quality!

Fix'd Spelling

Last edited by SAMWAVE (Apr 15, 2010 7:03 pm)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
SAMWAVE wrote:

Excekkent can't wait Low-Gain smile You work is quality!

Why thank you! smile *my ego just got a little bigger*  teehee

Last edited by low-gain (Apr 15, 2010 5:18 pm)

IL, US

pssh, its true and you know it, or i wouldnt keep buying shit youve made/modded smile

Bristol

damn, if you had asked 2 weeks ago I would have been very much down, as it stands I managed to build my own and I'm proud to say its my first proper working circuit... It is very very useful though, I just wish I hadn't painted the thing pink...