Vile wrote:
nickmaynard wrote:

I'd ask NeX about this, since it says GBLFO by NeX on the front of it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/763704741/synthboy
Here ^

To be honest, I'm really not impressed. The video is very vague on what it actually does; and it seems like they're trying to market this to the general public; which I don't really think will work. They also don't really make a big deal out of the fact that you need a modded gameboy to use it, which is kind of important. I understand the price point considering the work they're putting in, but for the same price I can get a KP3 which will be better built and can do even more FX on the sound AND I don't need to leave the Gameboy just sitting on the table. Perhaps the $365 version would be worth it, because you essentially get a backlit modded midiboy; but you still need the base station all the time.

As for the Rackmounted  multi-console they're trying to do next, I find that it kind of defeats the purpose; people love seeing the gimmick of having old consoles on stage; if you only wanted the sound and not the gimmick then go get plogue chipsounds for a fraction of the cost. I imagine it would be very difficult to use the rack-mount version too.

Tl;DR: Nice try, no thanks.
Sorry Kitsch, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Last edited by Zef (Jun 18, 2012 1:55 am)

rochester, ny

i watched that whole video and i still don't really know what it does. is it just an arduinoboy? but with some knobs added for midi cc?

Rochester, NY

sorry if this comes off as a bit rough...

We chose through hole components instead of cheaper surface mount components.

why? 

We have sockets for the optoisolator and the DIP reed switches as well as tooled sockets for the Arduino's.

again, why?

We could have saved over $100.00 per unit if we do like most and ship the whole thing over seas, but we prefer a hand crafted approach.

as the chiptune community are the biggest bunch of broke ass cheapskates i've ever encountered, you would have been wise to "ship the whole thing over seas". 

Each unit will be signed and numbered by us as we take immense pride in our work.

sounds more like ego, honestly. if i were to buy one i'd prefer that it wasn't signed.

much respect to them though, for putting so much effort into this.

Last edited by jbuonacc (Jun 18, 2012 5:29 am)

matt's mind

ok.  my thread has been totally derailed.

if there needs to be a synthboy thread, you all can make one wink  i had nothing to do with the project...

back to KB stuff.  please.

Louisiana

Still waiting on details on the project or whatever it is you have in mind for me lol

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
kitsch wrote:

back to KB stuff.  please.

Kitsch is the best. wink
He also apparently wants all of my money because he's cranking out new awesome products.

Hey can I get a picture from those clear teal DMG buttons? I was looking for clear blue ones, but I can't find any, maybe the clear teal ones will be okay. Also, how would you go about fixing one of the bleepbloops? I don't have much experience, but I do have a lot of time on my hands.

matt's mind

the clear teal is pretty dark colored, its more green than blue.

there is like...  maybe two sets left, so they'll be gone in a second anyways most likely for good.  don't think i'll do that color again.

if you're interested at all grab a set now,

clear blue ones are a color i'll do again, probably shortly.  i liked that color a whole lot.

kitsch wrote:

the clear teal is pretty dark colored, its more green than blue.

there is like...  maybe two sets left, so they'll be gone in a second anyways most likely for good.  don't think i'll do that color again.

if you're interested at all grab a set now,

clear blue ones are a color i'll do again, probably shortly.  i liked that color a whole lot.

Yea me too, they look great in a standard dmg case with a blue backlight

Cleveland, OH

I love the teal. Glad I got them while you had them. You should do a cyan/seafoam of some sort if you're discontinuing the teal!

Indiana

Yoops, this sort of throws a wrench in my teal gameboy plans tongue

Do you have any idea what new colors you'll be getting in?

Louisiana

I think some just plain clear swirled with some other colors would be cool. Clear swirled with black, white, DMG pink, green, grey, that would be awesome. Would probably look pretty sweet button lit also. I know you've done swirls before that we're hand cast I think but switling some clears would be awwwwwwesome.

Lavar wrote:

Also, how would you go about fixing one of the bleepbloops? I don't have much experience, but I do have a lot of time on my hands.

You skipped over this one

matt's mind

not totally sure, these are ones i couldn't get fixed easily so i stopped trying and am selling them as-is.  could be really simple, could be an IC swap, dunno.  all i know is they aren't working as they should atm. 

the first step would be to check to make sure all the pins on the ICs were soldered down.  after that, its anyones guess if that doesn't fix the issue.  there are some common issues these have, i checked all the really easy to fix ones already though.  like popped off resistors, etc...

Lavar wrote:
Lavar wrote:

Also, how would you go about fixing one of the bleepbloops? I don't have much experience, but I do have a lot of time on my hands.

You skipped over this one

matt's mind

huzzah

sweden

wow!