well i thought i made it fairly explicit that i wasnt talking about "the law" in my post. because hopefully none of us would consider getting a lawyer involved over someone putting some songs on youtube

NC in the US of America

If you license your music to be shared in a certain way, then why would you want people to ask permission to share it in that way?

Assuming of course that you DID license your music to be shared in that way. This post is mostly irrelevant.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Oct 4, 2013 10:53 pm)

TSSBAY01

i personally did not.

Seattle, WA US
ghastlyglitter wrote:

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/11722 … ermission/

tss said : "you shouldn't care"

: /

irony is badass

TSSBAY01

this isnt about me, lil boaconstructor. this guy uploaded more than TEN starpilot releases, EIGHT 4mat releases, FIVE OR SIX phlog releases, THREE mauer releases. several animal style releases, four releases by zan. in full. thats at first glance. not talking about a song from each release which might be reasonable to do without tracking down artists and asking permission. its full releases. its pretty silly to think someone would spend that much of their own time doing that but not take the extra time to ask the artists if they are ok with it.

these arent guys who are new to chipmusic and could benefit from this kind of stuff, its established dudes that dont have anything to gain by having their entire albums put up on there, basically an entire netlabel's worth of work too. ive asked around a bit now, and nobody that i asked was approached by this guy. and i really dont care, because i handled it and had the guy remove my stuff from his page. the end result is that the guy is trying to build a youtube channel with other peoples content, not piecemeal, all or nothing. that is a big difference between a song here or a song there.

Seattle, WA US

I am lil :'^)

Seattle, WA US

god I love this website

TSSBAY01

yes lil baconator

On a philosophical level, I am personally opposed to the entire legal concept of intellectual property. However, it is understandable that if somebody creates value and wishes to profit from it, then they have every right to monetize the value that they generate.

If this youtube channel does not profit money from these songs, then it profits viewers and subscribers instead, which effectively trickles down to giving the music creators more traffic at the end of the day.

It is a matter of philosophy, and you're welcome to disagree, but I don't see anything wrong here.

TSSBAY01

it doesnt net the musicians more traffic, it gets more traffic for the youtube page, even if info is posted with the video. people are lazy. it uses the musicians content to build their own fanbase. if the uploader only put a few songs up from an album, then there would be incentive for the listener to go and seek the releases out where they originated from.

this has less to do with that, and more to do with the fact that any and all of these artists are easy to contact, and most of them if they were approached by this guy with his plans would have a problem with it, i highly doubt some of the artists who have most of/all of their more recent releases on this page would be ok with it. people have their own youtube accounts, and none of these artists need someone else to make the decision on their behalf to upload an entire album, or in some of these cases, several albums, or hell, even all of their albums to youtube.

NC in the US of America

I'm with TSS on this one. Whether you like the idea or not, it's the creator's right to have a say in what happens with his/her content if he so chooses to speak, and it is only polite and courteous, if you have any respect for the content creator, to contact them and see what he/she has to say, regardless of your so-called (most likely mistaken) "right" to host their content. Even if it's in such a roundabout way as to post a radio playlist in a chipmusic.org thread... >_>

The only legitimate reason I can think of to not contact the artists is because you're afraid they'll say no, lol.

8D wrote:

tss said...

Must make you all feel so tall. Rare opportunity here guys, get your licks in while you can.

SketchMan3 wrote:

I'm with TSS on this one. Whether you like the idea or not, it's the creator's right to have a say in what happens with his/her content if he so chooses to speak, and it is only polite and courteous, if you have any respect for the content creator, to contact them and see what he/she has to say, regardless of your so-called (most likely mistaken) "right" to host their content. Even if it's in such a roundabout way as to post a radio playlist in a chipmusic.org thread... >_>

The thing I hate about this situation is that copyright laws are so ridiculously malleable. You can basically tailor a situation to fit your preferences no matter how justified you actually are. Now, this is obviously a subject for heated debate, but I feel that it is much worse to take action against somebody who has something to gain from your work, rather than it is for them to gain something from your work without your permission. Maybe that's just me. Maybe I'm alone on the idea that people profiting on derivative works doesn't sound like a bad thing.

Last edited by GREATSWORD (Oct 5, 2013 4:53 am)

NC in the US of America

:\

The thing I hate about this situation is that copyright laws are so ridiculously malleable.

Seems more like you are enjoying this aspect of it, to me. tongue

Part (most?) of the issue is about courtesy and communication and the fact that it's SO easy to contact artists in the chipmusic scene nowadays. The community is so tightly knit and open in communication between artists and fans alike.

I'm not even going to go into the matter of that "profiting on other's work" bit. :\

As far as "taking action" is concerned, I wouldn't really consider asking someone to take your stuff down or letting them know that they really should contact the original content creators as "taking action against someone". That phrase is so inflammatory it's not even funny. :\

Maybe I'm alone on the idea that people profiting on derivative works doesn't sound like a bad thing.

Nobody is saying that. Once again, it's about communication and courtesy and not being lazy/perpetuating laziness.

Me personally? I still don't mind if people share my music with whoever, but now that I've come to find out that something of mine has actually been broadcast to an audience as opposed to, say, file-sharing, I can't help but feel slighted that nobody sent me a message or anything. It was exciting to see that somebody liked my junk enough to want to share it with a general audience, but once you get over that green excitement (which a lot of confident established mature artists probably have, maybe [not to say an artist grows out of the excitement of having someone appreciate their output[), the fact that they didn't take the time to say anything about it leaves just a tiny bit of a feeling of emptiness left behind. This is just my personal thought.

Edit: shoot. I didn't mean to type all that...

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Oct 5, 2013 5:31 am)

Taichung, Taiwan

Share chiptune music!

seattle
boaconstructor wrote:

irony is badass

SketchMan3 wrote:

:\

The thing I hate about this situation is that copyright laws are so ridiculously malleable.

Seems more like you are enjoying this aspect of it, to me. tongue

Part (most?) of the issue is about courtesy and communication and the fact that it's SO easy to contact artists in the chipmusic scene nowadays. The community is so tightly knit and open in communication between artists and fans alike.

I'm not even going to go into the matter of that "profiting on other's work" bit. :\

As far as "taking action" is concerned, I wouldn't really consider asking someone to take your stuff down or letting them know that they really should contact the original content creators as "taking action against someone". That phrase is so inflammatory it's not even funny. :\

Maybe I'm alone on the idea that people profiting on derivative works doesn't sound like a bad thing.

Nobody is saying that. Once again, it's about communication and courtesy and not being lazy/perpetuating laziness.

Me personally? I still don't mind if people share my music with whoever, but now that I've come to find out that something of mine has actually been broadcast to an audience as opposed to, say, file-sharing, I can't help but feel slighted that nobody sent me a message or anything. It was exciting to see that somebody liked my junk enough to want to share it with a general audience, but once you get over that green excitement (which a lot of confident established mature artists probably have, maybe [not to say an artist grows out of the excitement of having someone appreciate their output[), the fact that they didn't take the time to say anything about it leaves just a tiny bit of a feeling of emptiness left behind. This is just my personal thought.

Edit: shoot. I didn't mean to type all that...

I'm all for courtesy. I agree on that front. Apologies if my points are reaching further into the issue than what is actually present. I'm just very used to seeing intense arguments regarding piracy, copyrights, and intellectual property.