Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Regardless of the legality, it's just a dick move not to even try to contact the musicians for permission. Heck, even they had a license that specifically encourages doing so, I'd ask first anyway. It's just common courtesy.

That said, sync licensing has LONG been separate from any other forms of licensing so even the argument that any copyleft license aught to grant sync rights - if not in a true legal sense, at least just in terms of common practice - I don't think I agree.

I think that in general, a copyleft license can be thought of as a notice of legality and intent. It states, "Hey, you can't do this and this but you can do all these things if you want to." but it's common courtesy for those who actually take advantage of the license to contact the original author (at the very least, it covers your ass in case you misunderstood the license as was the case here).

Last edited by jefftheworld (Oct 5, 2013 9:19 am)

i wonder if johan contacted those booty bass artists when he put the "ass" and "titties" samples in lsdj

IL, US

i'm guessing you have no knowledge of "fair use" as defined under copyright laws... 
generally, very short samples like a single note or word are considered to be fair use as they comprise such a small portion of the final work

like the snare drum crystal castles sampled from covox then

IL, US

they took the whole drum loop, not just one snare sound
http://www.whosampled.com/sample/53847/ … ox-Sunday/

IL, US

and its not like that was their only infraction
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/05/c … s-license/

Unsubscribe

The internal chip scene thread #4:  "Why wont they love me?" vs "Why did they love me like THAT"

Youngstown, OH
tempsoundsolutions wrote:

these arent guys who are new to chipmusic and could benefit from this kind of stuff, its established dudes that dont have anything to gain by having their entire albums put up on there

While I agree with TSS that posting entire an entire album is excessive (if not against the law, certainly impolite and bordering on abusive) I also don't think any one of us is "above" grassroots promotion. Once one of us is making Kanye money I mean maybe.

edit:
For the record at least two of my own albums are up there. Meh

Last edited by sleepytimejesse (Oct 5, 2013 5:35 pm)

Seattle, WA US
herr_prof wrote:

The internal chip scene thread #4:  "Why wont they love me?" vs "Why did they love me like THAT"

If I found out somebody uploaded a song I made onto their channel I'd pop open the champagne.

TSSBAY01

the main issue i have with this guy is not reaching out to any of the artists. any of the guys that i approached have said that there was no contact from this guy, one of them said at first they were not giving permission and it sounded like the guy pretty much convinced him or plowed him over by holding him dead to rights on the cc crap. and none of them have said they asked him to upload their tunes. he wrote me back with this:

Well, if you don't want your music to be shared this way, then don't release it under a Creative Commons license that allows it. It sounds hypocritical to me to complain about it since you've pretty much officially allowed it. However, I do understand that it is your right to have the music removed. I don't mind that.

I have actually asked for permission to upload some of these artists' music and I have had some artists contact me to upload their music (you are also making assumptions). I generally don't ask for permission because the copyright license allows distribution. People like you get upset (there were a few others that requested the removal of their content, though some of them were more polite) for no reason in my opinion. If your music is known enough someone is going to upload your work (or some of it) on YouTube if they want to share it, at some point it becomes inevitable. You are upset because people do this without your consent, which is once again weird since your license allows it.

his comments are very arrogant because i definitely didnt release that stuff under cc. and its funny that he says i am upset, because i was very straightforward with this guy, certainly not upset. if anything, its pretty frustrating that i tried to make it very clear to him that he owes it to the artist to contact them and not to be assumptive and entitled, but he's not trying to hear it at all. no apologies from him, he's dead set in his opinion that its fine to do whatever he wants and he doesnt need to read the fine print or contact the artist and that it has nothing to do with creative commons or licensing or anything along those lines. thats a catch all excuse he is using which isnt exactly upsetting, but frustrating that he is willing to be so ignorant and unapologetic and while it doesnt affect me in the slightest, others in the future might not be so quick to give him the benefit of the doubt the way he himself should when it comes to what he is doing.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
sandneil wrote:

If Cyrstal Castles had sampled just a snare drum and then sequenced their own drum patterns, yeah that would totally have been fine. That's not what happened, though. Maybe do the research before you get all snarky about it. tongue

Just to clarify, are these private messages of his that you are posting on here? If so, then did he give consent to having his private discussion exposed to the public? I just want to make sure that this stays civil.

Milwaukee, WI

If I released an album under a (appropriate) CC license this is exactly what I would want to happen.

jefftheworld wrote:
sandneil wrote:

If Cyrstal Castles had sampled just a snare drum and then sequenced their own drum patterns, yeah that would totally have been fine. That's not what happened, though. Maybe do the research before you get all snarky about it. tongue

i know what happened & its irrelevant "how much" they used. unless you hate also all artists who used the amen break in their songs? no, you dont, because soul music isnt Your Scene.

likewise you dont hate all people who uploads songs to youtube. only when its Your Songs.  and maybe you even think copyright law is really cool, until nintendo tries to get Your Flash Carts banned in the EU, until the guy who made the miles davis comp gets sued by miles davis' photographer

im just t rying to highlight the victim complex that chip music has. isnt it a little naive to suppose that "we" are all on the right side of the law all the time & that it only serves to protect us from the CRIMINALS intent on destroying our scene & PARASITES who exist only to profit from our hard work?

what is the reasoning here? you want a monopoly on distribution of your own music? people can only get it DIRECT FROM THE SOURCE? why? what benefit is there to have things taken off youtube

theres an album on temp sounds solutions bandcamp called "remixes volume 12". is there not some contradiction to make twelve albums of bootleg remixes and then cry wolf when someone puts your freely released music on youtube?

sandneil wrote:

i know what happened & its irrelevant "how much" they used. unless you hate also all artists who used the amen break in their songs? no, you dont, because soul music isnt Your Scene.

likewise you dont hate all people who uploads songs to youtube. only when its Your Songs.  and maybe you even think copyright law is really cool, until nintendo tries to get Your Flash Carts banned in the EU, until the guy who made the miles davis comp gets sued by miles davis' photographer

im just t rying to highlight the victim complex that chip music has. isnt it a little naive to suppose that "we" are all on the right side of the law all the time & that it only serves to protect us from the CRIMINALS intent on destroying our scene & PARASITES who exist only to profit from our hard work?

what is the reasoning here? you want a monopoly on distribution of your own music? people can only get it DIRECT FROM THE SOURCE? why? what benefit is there to have things taken off youtube

theres an album on temp sounds solutions bandcamp called "remixes volume 12". is there not some contradiction to make twelve albums of bootleg remixes and then cry wolf when someone puts your freely released music on youtube?

Food for thought.