New York City

How could I forget the instrument where everything happens before anywhere else?:

It's the best one, doesn't cost any money to have whatever synth you want in it big_smile

A gray world of dread
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

Question for those of you who write with analogue style synths or trackers: do you have a "stock set" of tones to sketch out ideas with, then adjust the sounds to suit the composition, or do you build everything from the ground up every time?

I usually have a pretty good idea of what kind of sound I want for which voice, so I usually adjust the synth first, and then write the line down. There's some tweaking afterwards of course, because you'll have to weigh the sound against the other voices.

Oh, and composing in staff on a sheet is hardcore. I can hardly read staff at all.

uhajdafdfdfa
akira^8GB wrote:

How could I forget the instrument where everything happens before anywhere else?:

It's the best one, doesn't cost any money to have whatever synth you want in it big_smile

Sadly the .wav export isn't fully functional yet... sad

New York City
ant1 wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

Sadly the .wav export isn't fully functional yet... sad

That would be fucking amazing big_smile

England
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

Question for those of you who write with analogue style synths or trackers: do you have a "stock set" of tones to sketch out ideas with, then adjust the sounds to suit the composition, or do you build everything from the ground up every time?

I have to start from the ground up with sounds, the syntheses aspect is very important to me, I pretty much instantly give up on something if I hear what I'd call boring, preset 8bit sounds.

I probably spend more time trying to make different sounds than I do with actual composition, which probably shows with all the songs I have in Cmaj/Amin! :S

Planet Zaxxon

I compose 98 percent of all the music I make on guitar then transpose accordingly to keyboard, a tracker, nes,  piano etc....

Last edited by O2star (Apr 19, 2010 8:05 pm)

East Kilbride, Scotland

These are my two favourite instruments to compose on. I have loads of guitars, but these ones are very special and I always pick them up first.

This one is a mishmash of a Fender Thinline Telecaster and a Fender Traditional Tele. The neck is so smooth, and the sound is glorious.

This is my other favourite, and the one I pick up to bash around with, a Danelectro 56-U2. It's one of the 90s reissue models, and for such a cheap guitar, it plays so well and is acoustically so loud! It is such a charming little guitar, I can spend hours with this thing. It sounds like a Guided By Voices record.

It's important to find an instrument that you are eager to pick up and play..

Sweden

I usually just type stuff out in a tracker or piano roll and listen if it sounds good; repeat forever. I think I've earned my sense of melody from playing a lot of different instruments, though (besides listening to a lot of different music). Mostly keyboards, flutes and string instruments.

Russia, Moscow

One time I've mostly used MIDI keyboard to compose (not record), then guitar, now computer keyboard. This, of course, not mean that I use only one instrument all the time. Computer keyboard is cool because you can play in ~2.5 octaves with just one hand, if you want, also not cool because it always hangs because matrix effect.

Regarding tones, that always changes. Sometimes it is the stock tones with heavy tweaking afterwards, sometimes it is completely new instruments, I could compose music first and then the sound, or vice versa.

))<>((

I usually start on a keyboard, either my 25 key MIDI controller, or our 88 key QS8, then to LSDJ, or whatever else.

Ciudad de méxico, MX

I usually sing it or play it along with my hands for create rythms along it, then pass it to the gameboy , the dingoo running LGPT or the laptop with any program. (modern tracker or Reality adlib tracker).

Back then I used to paper sheets, then sibelius. Now I just use my voice and notation on the handhelds.

There's a lot of writing around my head when i go jogging,

BOSTON
Analog wrote:

Back then I used to paper sheets, then sibelius. Now I just use my voice and notation on the handhelds.

There's a lot of writing around my head when i go jogging,

Yeah, the handheld portability thing is pretty amazing in that regard; being able to sketch tracks on the fly, wherever, and then play with them real-time is so damn future, IMHO... its about as close to BRAIN -> .WAV as i've ever gotten. Being from a classical music composition background, LSDJ is basically like having sibelius with me in my jacket pocket, but 1000x awesomer. I don't even know when the last time i wrote on a grandstaff

Chicago IL

Godzilladelph

i have a manservant follow me around with a special typewriter and transcribe every note that pops into my head

South Dakota
Saskrotch wrote:

As a bartender, I agree with with post.

lolusa

nothing beats an electric piano
though the whole mobility of jamming on a gameboy is nice