DKSTR wrote:

Some sort of keyboard and after sampling keyboard riffs/whatever:

..connected to Live.

that is a thing of beauty

no that's a launchpad

this is a thing of beauty

and the same price as a used car

Los Angeles

Any real piano, as long as its not a cheapo or severely out of tune. at home now i only have this:

... While using plugins like this:

Brunswick, GA USA

My starting instrument depends on the project, and in fact, starting from different instruments is how I try to introduce variety in my work.

More often than not, I'm just using the qwerty keys of the tracker.  The samples may or may not be tuned correctly.

Other times, I've used a chinese 12-string guitar (mine has a pickup glued to the soundhole):

Or the easy sequencer+faux kaoss pad of DS-10:

Cambridge, MA

I personally like to hum a few bars on a kazoo....

Manchester, England

guitar, usually my very simple Yamaha EG-112, and then copy out my most favourite of melodies from the day on one of my GB Cameras, and then just create something juicy either by using LSDJ or a varied collection of VSTs.

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

Kalamazoo

What cartridges do people prefer to use with a gameboy? I'm thinking about getting into making chiptunes with a nanoloop or lsdj and I'm wondering what is most reccomended. I know the lsdj is discontinued but there are always some on e bay. Which one should I buy ?

Godzilladelph

you should ask nonfinite for a bleep bloop cart if your looking for lsdj. personal i think its waaay better than nanoloop but im kinda biased.
anyway, if anyone cares i love writing melodies on the sk1 or lsdj, but a dingo loaded up with lgpt is my new favorite thing

Pennsylvania, USA

I always find myself composing either on my roland sh-201 or my acoustic upright piano. I was trained on the piano and have been playing forever, so I feel like thats the one instrument that I can truly doodle around on without really using my intellect and just "feeling" things out.

That said, I think theres certainly something to be said for composing outside of your comfort medium or instrument, as we all have compositional habits when it comes to using whatever instrument we've been trained on. (I for example i have a couple key signatures that i refuse to compose in if I'm using the piano be cause the fingering drives me nuts).

To that end, even though I  prefer piano as  an instrument or fast/milkytracker for sequencing, stepping out of my comfort zone and working with stuff that is really off the beaten path (i.e. nanoloop) can really be helpful for breaking out of a rut.

Melbourne, Australia
Pastel Arsenal wrote:

I know the lsdj is discontinued...

Its not discontinued, you just need to buy a cart and flash the rom onto it.