BOSTON

I'm stealing this thread from 8bc because I'm cheesy and like the idea...

"Pinky":

Yeah its a CGB and sounds like crap recorded or through a PA, and whines and makes a high-pitched buzzing sound, but for some reason I can always write better music, for longer when using it. I strap one of those cheap worm lights on and suddenly its 4am and I have a new song.

Your turn.

A gray world of dread

If I use an instrument to compose on it's my guitar. Sometimes I plink-plonk on one of the Yamaha PSS keyboards I have and something comes up. The vast majority of my tracks is directly composed in the tracker, though.

big Fatar keyboard with NI Akoustik Piano.

ad-hell-aide

laptop + sega master system combo. perhaps with an atari 2600 thrown in.

i have a specific unit of a model 1 sega master system that i like more than others too.

England

most of my stuff gets jammmed out on an old yamaha pss or my bass guitar, then played with on lsdj or goatracker

AANABAY01

mah midi keyboard

usually on a piano or clavi patch but sometimes using fackin' TECH BRASS

uhajdafdfdfa

Keyboard - built in overdub function \o/. big_smile

☺☺☺

^this tongue

NorthTtrrrway

I usually sketch the idea first, so...

instrument: pen + paper

brighton, uk

United Kingdom

Mine preferably is my pink backlighted clearboy (No prosound). It's got a great 'feel' to it and majority of my tunes have been written on it. I have recently been using ableton live and I really enjoy the capabilities it has. But for now I defiently prefer my clearboy for many reasons such as being modded by myself, I tend to write tunes on it alot more better than any other handheld, It feels good using it and its just amazing the uses a gameboy has (I have always been a fan of gameboys as well since my early childhood till this date).

Bristol

on the go i always have me SP and nanoloop on me, perfect for lunchtime noodles. At home its all about me guitar and maybe the MPC500

Tacoma WA

nord modular g1 keyboard.  i've been trying to build patches around a specific ideas and sound.

doesn't work the majority of the time but is so much fun..

New York City

For me it would be a MIDI controller keyboard connected to a DAW or just doing stuff on a tracker.
For rhythm composing, a good step sequencer usually "jazzed up" thanks to human error entered in my Akai MPD24 drum pad controler.

BOSTON

Question for those of you who write with analogue style synths or trackers: do you have a "stock set" of tones to sketch out ideas with, then adjust the sounds to suit the composition, or do you build everything from the ground up every time?

Also, +1 for the pen and paper guys, but i'd probably use this:

rather than a legal pad, LOL

astral cat

i usually jam out some sort of melody or idea on my yamaha portasound pss-400 then it gets put into either LSDJ or Famitracker