United States

So I got the guide for goattracker http://csdb.dk/getinternalfile.php/7761 … torial.pdf and I was excited. I wanted to start trying some stuff out so I looked at my notes I saved on the guide and I get no sound on my instruments (loaded a sample song and I get sound) sad Maybe I should make something cool on milkytracker first since I never did that but goattracker's all c64 and cool (famitracker and lgpt is also in my list) big_smile

England

that tutorial is very good, the actual c64 manual explains some sound stuff as well so might be helpful.

If you are really stuck, I'd recommend stealing sounds from the sample songs and learning how they make them, messing with values smile

all you really need to do to start making a sound is:

set volume envelopes (just sustain and release)
set wavetable position
then on the correct wavetable position put something simple like

21 00
FF 00

if you are using pulse (41) remember to set a pulsetable thing or you wont hear anything.

Last edited by Jellica (Oct 23, 2013 7:00 pm)

United States

Hmm well so far I can only get saw and noise to make sounds (and I suppose some combinations of those) but square and triangle aren't doing anything hmm

England

if you can get saw and noise to work then you are on the right track.

triangle is a lot quieter than the other sounds - play with the sustain which pretty much = instrument volume

have you remembered to set the pulse table position for the square/pulse thing? set pulsetbl to 88 00 for something thick and stable.

Last edited by Jellica (Oct 23, 2013 7:09 pm)

United States

Oh right triangle is very quiet and I wasn't aware that you had to set the pulse table for square wave.

Edit: alright I have triangle working, square still isn't doing anything

Last edited by IceWolf (Oct 23, 2013 7:20 pm)

England

have you set the pulsetable position?

United States
Jellica wrote:

have you set the pulsetable position?

Yes oh oops, thought you said 80 instead of 88, yes 88 works.

United States

Well here's a major issue, the only computer I actually own, my laptop, the insert key on the numpad isn't being seen by goattracker and that's the only way to add more patterns to the orderlist and make the song sad

England

are you using an apple thing?

do a search for "insert key goattracker"

buy a cheap usb keyboard?

United States

Nope I'm just using linux on an Asus u56e laptop. The mac tricks to get the insert key didn't work hmm I'm on the latest goattracker version 2.72.

United States

Thank you linux irc community smile I have a command to make the computer think the numpad insert = the regular insert key it wants

xmodmap -e "keysym KP_Insert = Insert"

and it stays permanent I think if you add

keysym KP_Insert = Insert

into ~/.Xmodmap , if not there's always manual scripts to autorun \o/

United States

If you want to use vibrato or portmanteau you have to put something in the speed table?

IceWolf wrote:

If you want to use vibrato or portmanteau you have to put something in the speed table?

i bet you can figure this one out on your own

› Show Spoiler

United States

If I have more than 4 instruments everything after the 4th one gets messed up ?_? I tried making a few instruments after I made 4 and they don't sound at all like they should. I tested them when I didn't have any instruments and they sounded a lot different then. Think I was doing it right for wavetable pos. I had let's say on 02 FF 00 for the next instrument I set wavetable pos to 03.

did you leave the filter on or something

thats not a more-than-four-instruments problem

You might prefer to use the old 1.x version of GoatTracker to start with, it only uses one table (for waveforms) which is specific to the instrument.  You can also do most of the other effects like vibrato and arps through pattern commands.   Tons of great music was done with that. (Hein & Jammer's earlier stuff for example)