Lun-dun

I hope you don't mean me disagreeing, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, though I think defPREMIUM has a point in that anyone can go to a computer, open a file and copy and paste some characters. If I get your angle correctly (and admittedly twist your words slightly) then to have any "ability" in databending you have to simply be able to "spot a good one"? Surely there's a BIT more to it than that?

i know databending is seen as tacky because everyone can do it and there are no barriers to entry. but if you dontapprove of these things why do you chip? everyone else thinks the same about chiptunes...

personally something that everyone can do, no best no worst no famous, i think thats quite nice

heres one of 200 pictures of zooey deschanel

Maine

nope not really.. its always pretty random.. sure you can look at the coding and realize if you replace code halfway down the file then halfway down the image there will be a bend.. thats about it.. if you hit an image in audacity with the delay effect you will generally get the same out come but thats about where the line is draw.. post editing is not the devil.. if it was people would be torn apart over fakebit music thats posted on this site..

Puke_Flytalker wrote:

if you walk into databending with a desired outcome knowing the process and what is going on you are a nut job... just saying.. and in the long run no matter how much you disagree with me (which i think you are just for sport..) databending is easy its post production thats the semi-complicated part.. well if you find image editing hard

why do you think i am disagreeing with you for sport?? : /

in any case- would you by agree that the fact that you scrap some images and keep others is indicative of a desired outcome on your part? the effects of databending techniques are actually pretty predictable, so after databending for a while one cannot help but expect certain results when using certain methods.

also, there's no rulebook for this stuff.. to argue that someone is a "nut job" for having a certain approach to databending makes little sense, in my view..

Maine

i only really scrap broken images or ones that have lost their substance due to darkening or other defects i cant exploit in post editing

one is a nut job if they roll a 20d and always expect it to land on 3

do some more audacity bends and then tell me if it is at all like rolling a d20.. databending methods are pretty predictable

Maine

i specifically dont use audacity because its poor for post editing and id prefer to come out with something im happy with rather than spend hours in post edit and never come out with anything good..

although i will say now that i get the audacity thing i might use it in the future.. but i have a feeling i wont be able to take it past the initial bend..

Lun-dun
sandneil wrote:

i know databending is seen as tacky because everyone can do it and there are no barriers to entry. but if you dontapprove of these things why do you chip? everyone else thinks the same about chiptunes...

It's true that people say the same about chiptunes but the argument there is that some prior musical knowledge can be the difference between a good one (musically interesting and harmonically sound, harmonically progressive) or a bad one (repeating a riff and drum beat that was stumbled upon by accident for 3 minutes then wondering why it's boring or selections of random notes and a sense of achievement from at least creating SOMETHING). I realise some chiptuners set out to sound bad/noisy/unmusical as well but, as with playing any musical instrument intentionally badly, it takes a bit of practice to do that, too.

If trying to find artistic merit in something (nothing to do with fame/equality/etc) how can databending be any more art-worthy than some guy who has to type up the results of surveys or someone who has the ability to put dirty washing into a machine and add powder? It's simply following a set process and coming out with a result, be it a messed up image, pile of completed paperwork, basket of clean washing?

You take it one step further and say you have a good accountant because they've done it for years and know how to optimally complete the process, or a launderette assistant who knows what to use to get out even the worst of ketchup stains. There's surely scope to be a better bender (perhaps should re-phrase that!!)?

Maine

ive been bending since 2007 and i still suck at it..

Lun-dun

Same with my music!! big_smile

Serious question: do you find that you can predict outcomes based on what you do or do you really do it completely blind to what's actually happening? It's fine if so as you said you like the "raw results" but I find that if I do most things long enough I either notice causes and effects of what's happening or I want to learn about what's happening, if for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity.

Last edited by simonhpieman (Nov 18, 2013 11:19 am)

Puke_Flytalker wrote:

i specifically dont use audacity because its poor for post editing and id prefer to come out with something im happy with rather than spend hours in post edit and never come out with anything good..

although i will say now that i get the audacity thing i might use it in the future.. but i have a feeling i wont be able to take it past the initial bend..

address my point tho: audacity bends are predictable to an extent. so are other bending methods. do you disagree?

Maine

none are predictable to a point where one can control an outcome or like put out new images and be like the next puke flytalker... lolz

its all random ive been staring at this shit for years

Maine

i mean unless you want to learn the languages that they use to code the different image formats..

(edit: dear simon,)

hmm, which side are you on

office work and laundry could be some kind of art for the people if people voluntarily did them for their own sakes... who does? in fact they are more often signs of oppression than liberation

i'm sure there is scope to be better at databending, with enough knowledge of the tools and file formats involved i dont see why it couldnt be directed and deterministic 100%, the computer isn't a black box - i'm just not sure people come to databending for sporty-art?

but i was simply warding off some of the more obvious criticisms of databending that tend to wind up anywhere it gets mentioned... it is somewhat controversial in itself as this thread proves already

(edit: jeez this thread is moving fast)

Last edited by sandneil (Nov 18, 2013 11:23 am)

Maine

i dont even post my images as "databends" i hide the fact that thats what im doing i just put them out there as graphic art and thats good enough for people once i say "databend" thats when this retarded discussion like whats goin on now happens...

puke: ok that is where we disagree- databending is not random.. the methods used may be chosen randomly but their effects aren't.

Last edited by defPREMIUM (Nov 18, 2013 11:24 am)