Unsubscribe

There ya go.

Alive and well in fucksville

the report button is for really unnecessary stuff. the troll button would be for slightly annoying things. so we dont revoke peoples freedom of speech

canada

me smile

Unsubscribe

ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY MAN. Its the illusion of freedom that cause this crisis to begin with.

some people are just really dumb. I forget a lot of stuff. I never want to be told a question i ask is stupid. maybe i forget things or dont catch on, but the real dumbass is the one that did not ask out of fear of rejection or humiliation. the troll button would be for the people who ask a lot of questions and only want to see posts that are helpful. or maybe having this feature would allow members to stroke their own ego by feeling above a noob's postings.
in lieu of common courtesy the troll block feature is a prototype of social perfection.

how about an off topic forum you have to pay to post on

bitjacker wrote:

offer paid users to not have to see posts of people who they feel are trolls. i would put that in my pipe and smoke it. It would be like an internet restraining order.
Troll button.

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/12649 … rator-v11/

what is relevant to chiptunes is a matter of perspective. not everyone is gonna go for nanovoice under a jaw harp and digeredoo. It is an interesting mix though. artists decide the medium.

matt's mind

i'm so surprised, and slightly hurt, no one has bothered to reference mad max in this thread....

that^

Brunswick, GA USA

I feel awful sometimes regarding the people I'm not in as much touch with simply because I find using Facebook uncomfortable. By the time I find a way to feel okay on it, it will be replaced by something else, surely.

I think the decline of web forums and personal web spaces is a bigger deal than any notion of activity or decline in this specific board, it's just a falling tide lowering all boats to me.

Lyric is not work or family safe.

Last edited by chunter (Dec 3, 2013 6:02 pm)

SLC, UT

Thanks herr-prof (PS your tweet about tales from the crib was hilarious, both me and my wife were laughing pretty good) and nitro2k01 for answering my original question.

Make no mistake, I am in no way posting this in response to other threads that may or may not have been posted at any point in time. I was simply curious.

My only thoughts on how to improve the site are these:

Built in irc. That would eliminate so many issues with the general board. Instead of "I thought this was funny, here now its saved forever and only two people will ever see it" it can live and die in a matter of minutes. If you don't care about it, just keep talking about other things. The only fear I'd have is that there would be legitimate conversations that need to be preserved. A log of maybe 48 hours would have to be kept and one could petition a mod to move the length of the convo to its own thread to be both read and continued by all. This would create more work for mods, but I imagine it would happen so infrequently that it shouldn't be a huge issue. Perhaps in the future If it got busy enough another mod could be added that focuses primarily on chat.

More strict enforcement of the rules. The rules are great. I've read them personally several times and they are the perfect balance of freedom and strictness to promote a great environment for all. The issue I see is that there is inconsistent enforcement. When there is enforcement its usually great. A clear explanation of why a thread is being closed, etc. If there's a rule that the mods don't agree with or want to enforce, remove it. Or change it. Do something because lack of enforcement of one rule makes the rules meaningless and opens up a lot if arguments about bias and favoritism when a rule is enforced inconsistently. I understand that mods can't just sit around all day and read every single post. Promote the use if the report button, as well as give feedback. If someone is reporting nonsense warn them then take their button away.

Lastly, a clear discipline outline. If you break the rules what happens? The mods talk and then decide what to do? Sure this is great but entirely subjective and time consuming for mods. Something as simple as a three strike rule. Break the rules, you can't post for a week. Break them again (within a defined timeframe) and you can't post for two weeks. Break them again and you're banned for a month. Break them again and you're banned forever. Keep in mind that its also against the rules to create another account, so getting banned and creating another account would get you farther away than anything. Not knowing the rules isn't an excuse to break them either. They're not that long at all.

Those are my thoughts.

Sweeeeeeden

Maybe just more 1 week bans? tongue

IL, US

yep,. frequent bans.... if that fails, purge with fire, start new site

Brunswick, GA USA

We have an IRC channel, if only people would chat on it.

Abandoned on Fire
chunter wrote:

We have an IRC channel, if only people would chat on it.

Irc confuses me because there always seems to be lots of people logged in but no one ever says anything or responds at all. Are they all bots or leftover accounts or something? Does everyone hate me and refuse to acknowledge my presence? I don't understand irc! :'(

Abandoned on Fire

Welllllp, guess I know the answer to that question then. tongue