IL, US

well if im ever in irc, youll notice i respond to most shit... but i usually dont even think to log into chat and irc stuff

Nomad's Land

has anybody suggested post ratings yet? could be an option to have posts that get too many downvotes automatically reduced to a spoiler tag.
not sure if something like that would help. depends how mature the majority of cm.org users is i guess

IL, US

that probably wouldnt be worth the time to code it (unless nitro feels like it, of course, since hed likely be the one doing the work)

Los Angeles, CA

I still check in here somewhat regularly when I'm bored but I honestly believe social networking sites have made community based internet forums like this somewhat obsolete. Bigger forums with less focus on community can do just fine, but I've been a member of a lot of smaller internet communities over the past thirteen years or so and they all drastically declined in quality once more and more people started using Facebook. Most of them are still around, but they're a sad empty shell of what they once were and usually filled with trolls who don't belong.

I guess that's why I prefer Facebook. I can keep in touch with people from the community who I've known  for years, and also add new folks who seem alright from various groups I'm part of. But if I don't like someone, I control my experience. I can unfriend or block them. It makes it much more exciting to talk about chiptune when you do not have to constantly deal with troll bullshit or stupid people.

Unsubscribe

A big part of forums being better is how many great conversations from myspace are still on the net? Forums are a great archive of tutorials, show listings, releases, and site news that is a little more robust for the long term than twitter or facebook.

IL, US

truth, the archival nature of forum posts really is about the only good reason left for them

Litebritedeath Land

Meh I've been off Facebook for almost a year now.  Too much real life drama for me even with the ability to block people.  It's annoying how many people think it's a dating site and hit on you or your significant other even if your listed as engaged.  I enjoy the focus here.  Google+ is pretty cool too but I haven't seen a significant amount of chipmusic peeps on there yet.  D&D on the other hand has awesome communities.

Los Angeles, CA
herr_prof wrote:

A big part of forums being better is how many great conversations from myspace are still on the net? Forums are a great archive of tutorials, show listings, releases, and site news that is a little more robust for the long term than twitter or facebook.

Yeah, and how many great conversations (and yes, they did exist at certain points) from 8bc are still on the net?

This theory only works assuming that CM doesn't "go away" someday.

i think the site is ok or at least fit for purpose, theres a lot of HOW CAN WE FIX THE SITE hype recently without any evidence that theres a problem who needs fixing

egr wrote:

Welllllp, guess I know the answer to that question then. tongue

Aww i would talk to you buddy big_smile

Liverpool, UK

This is why having a legit "rival"/sister site in 8bc was so good - the "srs bsns" of CMO was the yin to the "super fun dope" chilling out of 8bc's yang. Now 8bc is gone AND NEVER COMING BACK, cmo kinda became dead because there was nowhere to have fun (altho every1 is on fcbk/twitter/tumblez now) and now there's shit trolls on here who don't get stopped so it's a bit weird.

calmdownkidder wrote:

cmo kinda became dead because there was nowhere to have fun

Even though I was on 8bc for a short time before it died, I always felt the same way. I would only come here for info/tutorials, and I would go on there to talk to people.
We definitely need some sort of balance again.

Unsubscribe
Wizwars wrote:

This theory only works assuming that CM doesn't "go away" someday.

http://web.archive.org/web/201109031514 … n=show_24h

Try doing that with Twitter.

NC in the US of America
egr wrote:

Welllllp, guess I know the answer to that question then. tongue

I lol'd

sandneil wrote:

i think the site is ok or at least fit for purpose, theres a lot of HOW CAN WE FIX THE SITE hype recently without any evidence that theres a problem who needs fixing

Yeah, I kind of agree with this. To me this site doesn't seem dead at all and it appears to fit the purpose of being informational and helpful pretty well. Plus we still do have fun here. Within the context of chipmusic of course ;P

The only thing I see that needs fixing is an AHX/HVL player plugin for the music section ;p

sxe_weekend wrote:

@kitsch I thought we really were not supposed to make multiple accounts either?  I remember someone stated that when I asked and I just decided to keep my username.

I wish that was true, it's so cluttered here with old accounts. Yet again we aren't allowed to delete so idk lol.

the best social networking is the one where you invite friends over to your own, not pages lol