Abandoned on Fire

Pocket Music Advance is un-useably weak and bad sounding.  I've used a 64m cart on gba with pocket music before, not sure what problem you're having. Does the gba work with other gameboy roms on the cart?

Last edited by egr (Dec 9, 2013 4:49 am)

Michigan
ShinigamiMachine wrote:

Yes I did. But I just discovered that both were made in 2002 (after the GBA was released) so it was possible to lock out the GBA I guess. The only reason I want the GBC version instead of the GBA version is because apparently the GBA one's sound is crap. Anyway, I'll probably just see if Goomba Color emulated it well on my EZ-Flash IV.

More likely that the GBA blocks the ROM rather than the ROM blocking the GBA. The SGB blocks a few Konami titles IIRC, not that I know why, but it is in the CPU to check a byte in the header prior to completing the boot cycle.

St. Charles, MO

do you know what byte it is and what the byte would need to be changed to? I have HxD for hex editing.

Last edited by ShinigamiMachine (Dec 9, 2013 5:02 am)

Sweeeeeeden

Today is your lucky day. I looked into this and produced the following IPS patch which both allows the game to be run on a GBA, and fixed the sample playback problems on GBA, using the "antispike" method that I invented which is now also used in LSDj.

http://gbdev.gg8.se/files/musictools/Po … sic%20fix/

Please report any problems with the patch here.

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Dec 9, 2013 5:28 am)

Michigan

I said "more likely" not that I knew if it was or where it would be. Just an educated guess. I am really only familiar with the DMG's CPU workings.

Where did you get your ROM? Check $00000143, $00000144 and $00000145 for me with HxD.

St. Charles, MO

Did you JUST upload this? Because I was on there looking at other trackers and such less than 20 minutes ago lol. Thanks SO much!

Sweeeeeeden

Yeah, it's part of my one hour chiptune rescue guarantee. loljk.

Michigan
Jazzmarazz wrote:

I said "more likely" not that I knew if it was or where it would be. Just an educated guess. I am really only familiar with the DMG's CPU workings.

Where did you get your ROM? Check $00000143, $00000144 and $00000145 for me with HxD.

Nevermind. Follow Nitro... (to the ends of the world if you know whats good for you)

Abandoned on Fire
nitro2k01 wrote:

Today is your lucky day. I looked into this and produced the following IPS patch which both allows the game to be run on a GBA, and fixed the sample playback problems on GBA, using the "antispike" method that I invented which is now also used in LSDj.

Oh snap!  So I guess I'm not remembering using my 64m with pocket music on gba after all but now I can make that false memory real, nice!

edit (you know, I'm probably just thinking of the advance version which is total ass)

Last edited by egr (Dec 9, 2013 12:35 pm)

Alive and well in fucksville

pocket music for color is really good. Hunt it down on ebay if you have the funds to do so. advance version, however makes using the riff editor prohibitive. you can tweak sounds all you want, but it is too much screwing around just to get a sound out (other than a sample or premade riff)

Unsubscribe

So does the antitspike make the samples sound that much better? Would be interested in some before after comparison if anyone is up for it..

Abandoned on Fire

Patch applied successfully!  I can tell a significant difference. I use a sample pack I recorded from this rom in piggy all the time and the "zzzzzt!" that's normally heard on EVERY sample is now either completely gone or so small I can easily ignore it. Thanks for another highly useful fix nitro!!  big_smile

St. Charles, MO

Yeah it sounds great!

sweden
nitro2k01 wrote:

This is so amazing! Sounds so much better! Had to revisit all my old pocket music sav-files.

Dallas, Texas

I don't think saving is supported yet on Goomba Color, is it? I also use EZFlash IV.