St. Charles, MO

When I try to load my pocket music rom from my USB smart card on my gba, it says that it is only for use with the Gameboy color as if I put it in an original Gameboy. When I DO put it in an original Gameboy I obviously get the same message, but the screen looks a bit different. It loads fine on my gbc, but I want to use it on my gba. How could it have been locked out of something that hadnt even come out yet? Is there a fix to this? And I DID check the color box when writing the rom.

Abandoned on Fire

I've had that happen too. When you transfer the rom make sure to check the little box that says "write as gameboy color" or something like that. It'll work then.

St. Charles, MO

That's what I did actually. It still doesn't work hmm
Maybe I'll just try it again.

Abandoned on Fire

see where it says "color" on the right hand side next to "write SRAM"?

Abandoned on Fire

oh. well idunno then hmm

St. Charles, MO

yeah, i checked that. retrying now. will tell results.

St. Charles, MO

didn't work with box checked or even unchecked, got the same error. surprisingly, even without the check, i got color display!

Abandoned on Fire

Are there any other roms on the cart? Anything on page 2?

St. Charles, MO

Pocket Music is page 2, LSDJ is page 1. I get a different "Only use on GBC" screen on GBA and GB, so im assuming somehow they blocked it from being forward compatible somehow.

St. Charles, MO

Still doesn't work even when its the only game on the card, on page one, and with the box checked. (I also tried with the box unchecked)

Taichung, Taiwan

Is pocket music made for the GB or GBC? If it is made for the GBA, I don't believe that the Smart Card supports that...

St. Charles, MO

It was made for the GBC.

Taichung, Taiwan

Well poop!

matt's mind
katsumbhong wrote:

Is pocket music made for the GB or GBC? If it is made for the GBA, I don't believe that the Smart Card supports that...

^ this

have you tried renaming the file type just for curiousity's sake?  try naming it *.gbc

matt's mind

there is a pocket music for GBA...  did you download the right ROM?

St. Charles, MO

Yes I did. But I just discovered that both were made in 2002 (after the GBA was released) so it was possible to lock out the GBA I guess. The only reason I want the GBC version instead of the GBA version is because apparently the GBA one's sound is crap. Anyway, I'll probably just see if Goomba Color emulated it well on my EZ-Flash IV.