Brooklyn NY US

Oh people, be nice. Perfectly good segment.

Ha, you seem better than when I did a video interview!  Nice smile

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi-fi means high fidelity.  There's slightly less noise on the modded sound output so it's technically higher fi than standard.  I just wanted to use a term other than "pro sound mod".  I don't know, I've always just called it that.  The main reason I use them as an output is that the cables are less likely to come out while performing.

New York City

"Cheaptoons" is not a kind of music or genre.
You said it straight, it was not an editing thing.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Apr 28, 2010 6:47 pm)

Unsubscribe

Liverpool, UK
akira^8GB wrote:

"Cheaptoons" is not a kind of music or genre.
You said it straight, it was not an editing thing.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

"I'm Jeff and I make a kind of music called chiptunes..." CUT "...it's a really old genre."

The genre I was mentioning was demoscene.  Regardless, I consider chiptunes to be both a genre and a medium.  It really is a confusing term and certainly hotly contested.  Personally I agree with a lot of the points on either side but my real opinion is this:

Who really cares?  I like making music, I don't care too much about what it's called.  Call it crapfucktunes if you want.  I still like making it, I still like listening to it.  Oldschool chip, newschool chip, demoscene, micromusic of all types.  We need to stop dividing this stuff up with stupid semantics.

UNITE OR PERISH!

...erm...

New York City
jefftheworld wrote:

The genre I was mentioning was demoscene.

The demoscene is not a genre.
My point, more than sadly over-proved now hmm

Last edited by akira^8GB (Apr 28, 2010 10:44 pm)

astral cat

My favourite genre is guitar, my second favourite genre is the RSPCA.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
akira^8GB wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

The genre I was mentioning was demoscene.

The demoscene is not a genre.
My point, more than sadly over-proved now hmm

There is a very distinct sound to demoscene music.  Again I consider the word to apply to both a genre of music, a community and a culture.

My point is that I am not stating something that is proven to be false, it's an opinion.  You don't agree, clearly, but there is validity to what I think as there is validity to what you think.

Both the demoscene and chip scene have their own distinct "sound" that goes deeper than just the tools they use.  For this reason I, and many others, consider them to be distinct entities in terms of musical genre. At least in some cases.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Apr 28, 2010 11:05 pm)

Melbourne, Australia
FantomenK wrote:
celsius wrote:

I never said there was anything I took offense to. I just said it wasn't for me.

For the record Chiptune is not a genre it's a medium. It's like calling orchestral music a genre. It's not, it's just a means by which music is made with a set of instruments.

I completely understand that it could have been a very brutal edit. You don't need to defend yourself as I realise this is not your work and that you are just the subject matter.

oh come on..

Jesus Christ. Everyone is so fucking precious! What about the above was unreasonable?

Melbourne, Australia
jefftheworld wrote:

Both the demoscene and chip scene have their own distinct "sound" that goes deeper than just the tools they use.  For this reason I, and many others, consider them to be distinct entities in terms of musical genre. At least in some cases.

HOLY SHIT! An intelligent conversation appears!

Ok, so I'm interested now. What would you say are these distinct sounds? I think a lot of music produced in the demoscene sounds exactly like the genre the artist has set out to write in (prog rock is a good example) with a different instrument set.

I'm keen to hear what you consider to be these unique distinctions as I believe this is getting closer to the core of the arguement.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
celsius wrote:
FantomenK wrote:

oh come on..

Jesus Christ. Everyone is so fucking precious! What about the above was unreasonable?

I didn't even find it to be unreasonable.  Some people seem to want chipmusic.org to become the new 8bc.  Can't we stop fighting about stupid things?

Last edited by jefftheworld (Apr 28, 2010 11:21 pm)

Melbourne, Australia
jefftheworld wrote:
celsius wrote:

I didn't even find it to be unreasonable.  Some people seem to want chipmusic.org to become the new 8bc.  Can't we stop fighting stupid things?

That wasn't directed at you dude wink

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
celsius wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

I didn't even find it to be unreasonable.  Some people seem to want chipmusic.org to become the new 8bc.  Can't we stop fighting stupid things?

That wasn't directed at you dude wink

I know, the "I" was supposed to be italicized. Fixed now.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Apr 28, 2010 11:22 pm)

Brazil
Vytantus wrote:

Do a self interview. it's the only way. then theres only one to blame.... but ideally there'd be no one.

Sorry to hijack, continue.