Chicago IL

i'm sorry i just have to say it:

this is what you get for posting a video of yourself

Central-ish VA
Saskrotch wrote:

i'm sorry i just have to say it:

this is what you get for posting a video of yourself

As much as it sucks to say, I'll insert the following:  never post your opinion on what makes up "chipmusic" / "chiptune" / "demoscene" / "VGM" / whatever   -    eventually, someone gets pissed off and we turn into this.  We will never agree on this, ever, educating each other doesn't work.

We should all be frens, frens, frens.

Neat video by the way.

Last edited by Beverage (Apr 29, 2010 12:45 am)

uhajdafdfdfa
jefftheworld wrote:

There is a very distinct sound to demoscene music.

I am kinda struggling to find a very distinct sound here, can you help me? Thanks. smile

Brooklyn NY US

For fuck's sake. It really does take only the slightest of perceived transgressions to trigger The Great Internet Invalidation Contest. I'm sure most of us either would say, or have said, things in the presence of a camera all up in your grille that we later wished we'd phrased more carefully or more specifically or whatever. If you really want to split hairs about the terms "hi fidelity" and "genre," go nuts; but it seems petty to me.

Melbourne, Australia
Bit Shifter wrote:

If you really want to split hairs about the terms "hi fidelity" and "genre," go nuts; but it seems petty to me.

I'm not splitting hairs for the sake of it. It genuinely interests me. If there is a stylistic, compositional or tonal link (beyond the obvious instrument selections and limitations) between all chipmusic then I find that fascinating.

I feel like there could well be a sub conscious link and sometimes I feel that association is present when listening to different genres presented in a chiptune medium but I can never put my finger on it.

If someone else wants to share their opinions on it then I'm all ears. I don't want people to think I'm posting to dis.

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

If I ever get asked to do an interview (pretentious right?)
I'll just be like hell no dude I don't want this shit surfacing up on chipmusic or something

Ciudad de méxico, MX

Is just an interview.

I must admit is really interesting to discuss the arguments that anyone has to say about chipmusic. But  the cameras will make you talk like you haven't wished, shit happens.

Tucson, AZ
celsius wrote:

If there is a stylistic, compositional or tonal link (beyond the obvious instrument selections and limitations) between all chipmusic then I find that fascinating.

I feel like there could well be a sub conscious link and sometimes I feel that association is present when listening to different genres presented in a chiptune medium but I can never put my finger on it.

First of all, I think its a fine interview.  I've certainly seen worse (some of my own).  Jeff seems pretty articulate and I think that the issues people have raised are primarily subjective and/or related to semantics.

Celsius: To your point, there is certainly a timbral link between all chipmusic and I'm also of the opinion that the tools we use to create can shape the results.  Is it possible to break out of the typical usage patterns inherent in a system?  Sure.  But I think it takes a significant amount of effort to do so.

Also in regards to the chipmusic as genre vs medium debate, I'll just refer to this post by goto80 once again.  I agree with his assertion that you can look at chipmusic in different ways -- and while he talks about chipmusic as medium, he also speaks about chipmusic as form (which, in my reading, sounds equivalent to genre).

Connecticut USA

I enjoyed that interview! Well done. Now if only the people in this thread would spend less time debating about music and put that effort into making some more decent music! : ]

Last edited by MisfitChris (Apr 29, 2010 6:15 am)

astral cat

also the interview was cool, you seem like a nice guy smile

uhajdafdfdfa
celsius wrote:

I'm not splitting hairs for the sake of it. It genuinely interests me ... I don't want people to think I'm posting to dis.

And like I already said, I thought for the most part the interview was pretty good; beat's Sabrepulse's "it's illegal, you have to download it" by a mile. tongue

lolusa

The only input I have was that i giggled a little when he mentioned Seattle as some kind of highly regarded places for the chips.
It's probably just me, but I spend more time in basements, or somewhere in Portland.

but hey, you did good. I remember being interviewed after busking during bumbershoot. I accidentally said Johan was Finnish (crucify me!)

Los Angeles

Ok so I just watched it.... it was pretty good.

But for the sake of argument I don't know of any well known artist in Seattle that is any more well known then any other artist in any major city in USA. (Except NYC)

Also you forgot to mention my name which totally ruins this interview. Next time please mention my name at least 6 times or the interview will be deemed noneffective by the international internet chip music committee panel for accuracy. (IICMCPA)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
trash80 wrote:

Ok so I just watched it.... it was pretty good.

But for the sake of argument I don't know of any well known artist in Seattle that is any more well known then any other artist in any major city in USA. (Except NYC)

Also you forgot to mention my name which totally ruins this interview. Next time please mention my name at least 6 times or the interview will be deemed noneffective by the international internet chip music committee panel for accuracy. (IICMCPA)

I actually did mention your name!  I also mentioned way more cities with active musicians.

: (

Los Angeles

haha i was only kidding. smile

BOSTON

props on the free publicity mayne! dont let the haters get you down ;D