Boise, ID

A quarter clocked gameboy...has anyone done this? Like a half clock mod, but to dropping two octaves instead of one?

Matthew Joseph Payne

I'm fairly certain - although I never actually tested this - that all the variable clock mods I've done became unstable at a speed less than 1/2" but greater than 1/4" normal speed.

I imagine, though, that if you got it to act in a stable manner somehow, you'd find that the tradeoffs weren't worth the extra octave.

Alive and well in fucksville

if you are using a backlit dmg and are prone to epileptic fits, then no. it just starts getting blinky when it is 2 octaves slow. 3 octaves slow is even more unbearable to look at and after 4 slow (not visible at all) the fifth octave starts breaking up. this would be less of a bother on a dmg that has no backlight.

Last edited by bitjacker (Dec 18, 2013 2:54 pm)

Unsubscribe

Considering how low and slow the half clock mod goes, would the quarter clock mod even be that usable?

it would open up a lot of new possibility with synths

Unsubscribe

How so? Have you used a half clock mod? The lowest notes are basically mud. And the UI is nearly unresponsive. Imo a half clock mod is really the basement of how low youd want to take the pitch shift.

matt's mind

this will do quarter clock: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/quint

its really not that practical at quarter speed.  like herr_prof said, the UI is unusable because of the lag.  if you've ever played a computer game where the graphics are set to wayyyy to high a detail/refresh/etc, and there is a good few seconds between moving/clicking with the mouse and getting the software to respond?  thats what its like. 

i'm not even sure if it was even down to quarter speed before it stalls, its not much good past right below half speed so i made that the bottom in the code. 

if you're curious, use a half-clock for the DMG with a Game Boy Color.  This would be a GBC's quarter-clock speed.  granted, the CPUs are different so its not a fair comparison.

buffalo, NY

Just for the record, the C2 that the wave channel can produce is lower than even most subwoofers can reproduce effectively. It's 65hz, human hearing bottoms out around 20hz.  2 octaves below 65hz is around ~16hz just for the record. 

Now I know it would be great if the pulse channels could also be an octave lower, but to not be able to do anything complex processor-wise is very limiting for little benefit IMO

Last edited by danimal cannon (Dec 18, 2013 4:49 pm)

Michigan

A lot of frequencies are filtered out with many cheap sound systems and even more headphones. I can't listen to chip on the go at all...my phone sounds that bad.

the oscillatior i got must be different somehow because it is really stable. maybe because i added no trim resistor?

Boise, ID

Once notes get that low, I know most of the bass will be unhearable through most speakers. mainly I'm interested in experimenting with the noise channel and some synth sounds, and abusing V commands. I'll try it out with a GBC

Unsubscribe

Yea but with a lobotomized cpu, v commands may very well cause crashes as they can be very cpu intensive.

herr_prof wrote:

Yea but with a lobotomized cpu, v commands may very well cause crashes as they can be very cpu intensive.

wouldn't the cpu have more time to think?

Michigan
bitjacker wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

wouldn't the cpu have more time to think?

Lol, not exactly how it works.:P

Lol, not exactly how it works.:P

how does it work?

Unsubscribe

The CPU is doing all the thinking, so if you put a crystal in it, its working slower on everything, including the time it takes to think. Pitch halving is a bonus, but the resulting speed decrease is problematic in other places like drawing the cursor on the screen.