Baton Rouge, LA

So coming home from a road trip I stop at a flea market on the side of the highway. One guy had a gameboy for a dollar. It was marked "no sound but screen works". I think to my self easy fix great deal. I look at it. Clean terminals and body but no volume wheel. I buy and get on the road. When I get home and open it up I realize it has been butchered. The whole component has been desoldered and removed. It looks like the contact point has been burned out. I even tried to just pro sound pre pot but the solder just beads and rolls away. Is there anything I can do?

detroit

sell it for two dollars

Arizona

Pics are really helpful.

Baton Rouge, LA

Taichung, Taiwan

Swap in another rear pcb.

Sweeeeeeden

Dirty. The solder probably rolls away because because of all that gunk. (And/or your solder or soldering iron suck.) You might be able to clean that up. But regardless, a pre-pot prosound is still viable. Just follow the signals back a tiny bit. you'll find that the pre-pot signal points connect to two resistors next to each other, one for each channel. If you can solder to any point there you might be good to go. You could also try on the top side, by soldering the signal wires directly to the resistors. If you do this, and nothing is shorted  out on the dirty side, you should have a working prosound.

Baton Rouge, LA

One resistor for each channel?

New Albany Indiana
katsumbhong wrote:

You can get one from nonfinites shop for like 5 dollars.

Baton Rouge, LA
Bit wish wrote:
katsumbhong wrote:

This is good to know! I'm goin to try the resistors first.

Yes, the iron is a bit shitty. A small piece of the tip broke off a few weeks ago but now seems to heat faster.

Arizona
barbeque wrote:

sell it for two dollars

The modern man must hustle.

Michigan

Lead free solder? As nitro said, scrape off the old flux/gunk and the heat will flow more easily to the pre-existing solder points, melting them.
Pretty sure you can get a replacement pot from radioshack if you wanted to.

SLC, UT
Bit wish wrote:
katsumbhong wrote:

What? Where?

.FILTHadelphia

Killed At School? Man I hope you're writing thrash.

Baton Rouge, LA

Killedatschool is just an internet alias I've used since 95 or 96. Sucks that a few years later school shootings became a "thing".

Sweeeeeeden

Did you understand what I meant by the resistors? Do you need an image explaining what I mean? tongue

Baton Rouge, LA

No I got it. I was asking if you meant each resistor for each channel or each side of a single resistor. I looked and it became obvious what you meant. Going to try when I get off work.