California

I am utilizing all other channels and want to make a really deep bassy drum on the noise channel. anyone have a patch or something to help me out? I am not sure if this is at all possible. thanks.

New York City

I don't think you can get anything deep sounding in there. At the most, you can get a crunchy one.

California

yeah that is what I am thinking. =/ I could probably make it bassy with post effects but that is lame wink

Miami, FL

http://lsdj.2x26.com/patch/goatslacker/thud-noise-kick

hope that helps.

best advice is to EQ the kick to get a bassy sound.

California

I love the lsdj cookbook. whoever has it should really get it a domain name.

BOSTON

low C's in shape? recently i use ~C4 shape, ~F2 envelope, throw a non-G'd table on it and then double it with pulse kicks... sounds good to me. even if you are using both pulse channels, you can almost always find a way to throw in the bass hits without it detracting from the pulse melody or what have you.

arranging FTW!

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Jan 8, 2010 11:13 pm)

California

yeah it is not possible with those channels. the instrument in pulse 1 is taking up every slot and the instrument in pulse 2 is constant envelope of 2B so it would mess with everything pretty bad. I might be able to use the wave channel tho..... we will see. thanks for the help guys.

Miami, FL

Moved the topic to the right forum.

I'll pick up a domain for the patch book. Thanks for the suggestion smile

It depends how deep you want but if you're using 3.9.x then try a noise instrument with shape D0 and in the table put:

FF  -00
FD  -00
FB  -00
--   K00

I find that this is an ok sounding one, not a sub kick but it's deepish. You have to make sacrifices sometimes sadly.

This!
I used a slight variation of this kick (just tweaked the TSP on the table according to the tempo) in a few songs: if you some bass or some full sounds on the other channel, it sounds really good. I don't think you can go any deeper with the noise.

edit: props to Goatslacker for posting it on the patchbook.

Last edited by Kenobit (Jan 10, 2010 12:26 pm)

California

this thread really helped out. I combined the noise kick with some bassy drums in the wave channel using a kit of 909 and 808 I believe. works well together.

thanks goatslacker and everyone else!

Last edited by Rei Yano (Jan 11, 2010 4:53 pm)

Earthling

Yo guys what's up with the chip-patch book website? I haven't been able to access it for the past few days...

MA
<|¦¬{D wrote:

Yo guys what's up with the chip-patch book website? I haven't been able to access it for the past few days...

Yeah ^ That...Any word on it going back up???

Hi! I'm new here as well in chiptunes, but I think I have a solution for this problem.

As I see bass drums they don't need to be so low. As long as they are lower enought from the snare and are punchy a little. It will sound good enought for a worst case scenario like this.

I'm using the following drum in a drum&bass pattern. It's noisy, but the whole drum line is, so it hase a nasty feeling. (I've only tryed this on BGB yet, so sorry if it isn't good on the real hardware.)

Channel: NOI
Type: Noise

Envelope: $C2
Shape: $E1 (You can try other shapes becouse there are some other useable ones)

Table: (This is what trying to give the characteristics to the drum.)
TSP CMD
EA -00
0C -00
0A -00
F2 -00
F1 -00
F5 -00
00 K00

Note: C3 (raising octaves raisis pitch, but this is not commonly useable i think)

The other instrument in case you want to try:

Snare:
---------

Envelope: $C2
Shape: $E1

Note: C3 (C4 is a higher pitch, but higher octaves only lowering the volume of this note)

High Hat:
-------------

Envelope: $B1
Shape: $FF

Note: C7 (higher octaves only lowering the volume of this note - I used 7 becouse it will not stand out mutch, so 1 note at a time isn't hurt so much)

The pattern for a simple dnb drum line:

BassKick
-
HighHat
-
Snare
-
HighHat
-
HighHat
-
BassKick
-
Snare
-
HighHat
-

Happy experimenting! smile

chicago, ill

I just updated to the newest version of lsdj so that I can use the "Stable" setting on noise instruments as I was sick of my kick drum cutting out randomly. This caused every noise instrument I had to get completely warped due to the change in tables. Even though (especially on the yahoo list) no one seemed to use the TSP table column for noise shaping, I certainly did and so has every single noise kick/snare example I've ever seen. I was able to recreate and occasionally even improve my drums by switching to the S command in the tables, but I am a little surprised by the lack of discussion that seemed to get. Did everyone just adapt or are most people still running 3.9.6?

San Francisco
Rei Yano wrote:

this thread really helped out. I combined the noise kick with some bassy drums in the wave channel using a kit of 909 and 808 I believe. works well together.

thanks goatslacker and everyone else!

this is how you use samples in lsdj.

now everyone quit complaining and try it out.