Melbourne

The NES sound mod by low-gain from kitsch-bent looks pretty awesome but when you're lacking in funds is it totally necessary to get this mod to record/play live?
Is there any point in recording an un-modded NES?

Thanks all!

I didn't mean no point! I meant I can't write music good enough to make a stock dmg sound any good because I'm a noob...

Last edited by FuturNari (May 10, 2010 2:13 am)

Philly, PA, USA

there's not "no point" in recording an unmodded gameboy, it's just fuzzier and not as strong, and from what i understand the nes mod adds stereo sound, so unless you like doing panning it doesn't really matter

Unsubscribe

well you should consider at least the passive version.. bypassing the rf mod is much cleaner, as well as having seperate channels to run effects with.. The lowgain mod helps signal to ratio ratio even more.

sweden
FuturNari wrote:

Like how there is no point in recording an un-modded DMG?

I dont get this at all.

Unsubscribe

Dmg prosound mod only increases signal to noise.. if you dont mulitrack or are using it live, i feel its definitely an optional mod. the nes mod is more essential.

Philly, PA, USA

listen to herr prof, not me.

sweden

Now I feel pretty stupid using my stock game boys. Very unprofessional of me. I'm sorry.

sweden

On a more serious note. I think that the whole pro sound mod DMG thing has gone a bit out of hand. So just listen to herr_prof.

Central-ish VA
nordloef wrote:

Now I feel pretty stupid using my stock game boys. Very unprofessional of me. I'm sorry.

And to think all of that music you composed was for nothing, eh?

Milwaukee, WI

little-scale uses his NES with the stock RCA output and we all know how awesome that sounds, so I don't think its necessary, but definitely cool if you get the cash for the mod.

Minneapolis

Or don't mess with Low-Gain's mod and do it yourself. It's not that hard, honestly. Bypassing the RF modulator is actually a really good idea, since it induces a very large amount of noise into the signal. The only problem is then you might need an op-amp to bump it back up to a usable volume level. Not hard at all. Actually, if I recall correctly, you can actually get audio output off the expansion connector... I'll check and report back.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

*yawns*

buy my shit.

lol

*passes out*

astral cat

i bought a low-gain mod and i haven't installed it yet.. i'll get round to it. someday.

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐
nordloef wrote:

On a more serious note. I think that the whole pro sound mod DMG thing has gone a bit out of hand. So just listen to herr_prof.

there's a *fun* aspect in modding things.
a lot of the time the mod isnt necessary,
but useful and a fun experience.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
xero wrote:
nordloef wrote:

Not to mention gives you +100SP (scene points)

Last edited by low-gain (May 10, 2010 5:46 pm)

Tacoma WA
low-gain wrote:
xero wrote:

Not to mention gives you +100SP (scene points)

fuck..  now wonder my scene point score is so low :'(