How well does DOSBox run on the Raspberry Pi?  Specifically, how is its AT2 performance?

I have access to a 3D printer, so I'm thinking about experimenting with some low-cost portable tracking devices.  If I can find a reasonably priced screen and power source I'd love a device I can slip into my bag with LGPT, Ninjatracker, AT2, LSDJ, and maybe XPMCK on it. 

Is the Raspberry Pi up to the challenge?  How is the sound quality of the C64, DOS, and GB emulators?

EDIT: Oh geez, there's even a SunVox port.

Last edited by Beware (Apr 4, 2014 5:27 am)

Brisbane, Australia

In regards to the LCD for the Pi - check out this project. It's super cheap for what it is!
Clicky Clicky!

Sound quality on the Pi is top notch) 3.5mm audio / HDMI. I haven't personally tested any emulators on it so far though.
Good luck on your searches!

Bristol

I used one of these liottle screens with my Pi : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/13111992 … amp;ff19=0
with some mods you could get it running off the same power source etc.. a bit low res but I had the ChipPi running perfectly off it.

good luck with anny of that stuff tbh, the raspberry pi is super underpowered
i could run schism on it but only if i didnt resize the window

if you want to run adlib tracker 2 you should try building it from the source code so its native for linux rather than emulating it in dosbox. i mean dosbox runs ok on my pc but raspberry pi has a different kind of cpu to a windows machine (which is the same as a dos machine) so im assuming its slower there, and the pi is slower anyway. just grap the source code and do a native pi build... an then share it with the rest of us!

a device I can slip into my bag with LGPT, Ninjatracker, AT2, LSDJ, and maybe XPMCK on it

dont wanna be a killjoy but a laptop is probably going to be more  suitable

anyway good luck and whatever you choose i hope it works out :-) !

Riverside, CA
Beware wrote:

I'd love a device I can slip into my bag with LSDJ on it.

If only we had something like this wink

Honestly, none of these posts are helpful.  The PI is no more underpowered than anything else running LGPT and, with some extra elbow grease, not much more expensive.  $35 Pi, $20 screen (probably from a car backup cam), cheap Li-ion battery pack, and a hacked up controller and mini keyboard gives me all the I/O necessary for tracking with anything I can get running.  With SunVox and LGPT alone it becomes something worth having.  I'm aware of the Pi specs and I already have plenty of ways to salvage screens, neither of these were my questions. 

People who have Pi(s), how well does DOSBox run and how well can it handle AT2?  DOSBox is, supposedly, very playable in terms of games.  I want to get some first hand opinions of how various OPL trackers will run and the sound quality of the available emulators.

Last edited by Beware (Apr 4, 2014 2:19 pm)

IL, US

not sure if i know anyone personally who has tried this out yet, but i'll ask around and see if i can direct people to the thread since it feels like 1/3rd of my friends own at least one Pi

Thanks, that would be great. 

In addition to my plans, there's no reason this can't be used for some retro gaming as well. Would a PSP be more efficient?  Definitely.

Advantages a Pi provides: DOS and C64 emulation, more RAM, better processor, open-source community support, the joy of designing and building it myself.  Wiring up this sort of thing isn't the hard part, getting a suitable enclosure for it is.  I can 3D print it, so it's hardly an issue.

Again, even without AT2 I think this has potential to be a great mobile tracking device.  Removing the Ethernet and replacing the USB ports can shave a lot of thickness off the board.  Even without the keyboard I still have access to LGPT and a ton of emulators.

Last edited by Beware (Apr 4, 2014 2:36 pm)

IL, US

you can emulate dos and c64 on psp
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Psp_dosbox
http://www.emuparadise.me/Commodore_64_ … P/VICE/148
so there's that...
but for enclosures, i have one of these and i like it
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4145 … re_-_Black
same thickness as a closed gba sp, so not bulky at all, just barely large enough to fit the ports

Last edited by e.s.c. (Apr 4, 2014 3:06 pm)

Yeah, I've played with the PSP c64 and DOS emulators, but they're pretty useless without a proper keyboard.

I think a custom printed case could make it even more svelte.  I'd be removing most of the unneeded ports anyways.

NYC

OK GUYS ! I use the pi for viz, havent really for music but I can tell you this... ITS A TUFFY. I push it all the time and its always reliable.I havent used it in a TON of shows but its in my bag everyday, everywhere I go and never has issues. The 3.5inch tft touch screen is nice and I have one and its killer for showing terminal read out. They have some 7 inch displays that are great as well. There is a new sound card that goes on the pi that you should look into as well. http://www.adafruit.com/products/1761 I dont do too much in audio again but I hope I can help you out. I love the pi and would to see more people using it.

IL, US
invaderbacca wrote:

OK GUYS ! I use the pi for viz, havent really for music but I can tell you this... ITS A TUFFY. I push it all the time and its always reliable.I havent used it in a TON of shows but its in my bag everyday, everywhere I go and never has issues. The 3.5inch tft touch screen is nice and I have one and its killer for showing terminal read out. They have some 7 inch displays that are great as well. There is a new sound card that goes on the pi that you should look into as well. http://www.adafruit.com/products/1761 I dont do too much in audio again but I hope I can help you out. I love the pi and would to see more people using it.

ooh, s/pdif, might have to grab one of those for the xbmc pi
edit: and im almost all pi on my piggy stuff now, love it for piggy midi, just should really take the time to get my wireless 360 controller set up with it instead of the $6 cheapo folding usb mini gamepad, but it does the job for now smile

Last edited by e.s.c. (Apr 4, 2014 6:30 pm)

Unsubscribe

re: the spdif thing - you have to have a later revision pi mobo that supports the pins it requires.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have a raspberry pi running dosbox, it runs fine for the old trackers I'm using (fast, scream, impulse, adlib). I have a model b set to the highest "overclock" (1Ghz).

Any software, modules or other things you want me to test on it?

That's awesome.  It will make my device longer, but a 16:9 screen makes that a nonissue.

Edit: How hard have you driven AT2?  Does GoatTracker run?  I'm mostly interested in its musical capabilities.  Any chance you could do a recording of some easily available, complex tracks for comparison?

PS: MIDI over USB is the only way to midify it, right?  Good thing I bought a USBboy.

Last edited by Beware (Apr 4, 2014 7:20 pm)

IL, US

well, if you need midi din, $5 cheapo cables from amazon work fine with pi
edit: not even $5.. i bought this one when my old one died a few months ago
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LJ … &psc=1

2nd edit: oh and the nanoloop usb adapter works fine with piggy at least as well, so should be fine with other software on pi

Last edited by e.s.c. (Apr 4, 2014 7:25 pm)